We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The 2nd Amendment

'Muricans know what Im talking about, but still I'll explain it anyway.

The 2nd Amendment in the Constitution of the United States of America defines the right to bear arms. Some interpret it in a way, others define it differently.

Well, what do you think about it?

I split my hairs over this one. Both the 2nd Amendment and gun control have significant pros and cons. Sure, Australia went head on against guns and gun violence went down dramatically. Sure, Louisiana has the weakest gun control and one of the worst gun violence in 'Murica. Sure, the UK did something similar to the Aussies and gun violence went down. But still, self-defense is important, and a gun ban could cause something similar to the alcohol ban in the early 1900's, when alcohol was illegally sold at an even higher(?) rate than before it was banned. 

I think that what Australia and the UK did will not be as effective in the USA. Why? 

America historically cherishes the constitutional right to bear arms and its guns, so something like a ban would make the public angry. Or at least a portion of it.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

The problem with Americans (not all of them, granted) is they have an embarrassing crush on guns. Nothing will change until they stop seeing guns as a toy and start treating them as the dangerous self-defence instruments they are. Yes, guns can be used for recreational purposes, but that is not their main use.

Having a gun should not be a constitutional right, it should be a responsibility that you need to prove you can handle.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(11-03-2015, 10:48 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: The problem with Americans (not all of them, granted) is they have an embarrassing crush on guns. Nothing will change until they stop seeing guns as a toy and start treating them as the dangerous self-defence instruments they are. Yes, guns can be used for recreational purposes, but that is not their main use.

Having a gun should not be a constitutional right, it should be a responsibility that you need to prove you can handle.

^This.

However, I don't think the 2nd Amendment is going away any time soon. If all those mass shootings perpetrated by people that shouldn't be owning guns in the first place can't convince all those "gun rights" advocates that not everyone should have them, I don't think anything will.
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

(11-03-2015, 11:15 PM)RandomGuy199 Wrote: However, I don't think the 2nd Amendment is going away any time soon. If all those mass shootings perpetrated by people that shouldn't be owning guns in the first place can't convince all those "gun rights" advocates that not everyone should have them, I don't think anything will.

"NRA Proposes Ban on Schools in Wake of Sandy Hook Shooting"
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

In all honesty, the 2nd Amendment is an outdated tool that was originally meant to combat government oppression. Of course, we need the right to self-defense, but the Second Amendment is now being used out of context.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Saddly guns will never be banned in the US it's part of their culture and no matter how many men, women and children are killed they will never be banned. This is one of the many reasons I really don't like the USA.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Number one reason why gun control legislation is extremely hard to pass in Congress: NRA lobbyists.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

In Glock We Trust
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Too many guns exist in the US, taking away them would be almost impossible, there are so many. The US just has a sad love affair with guns.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy: