We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Should the Security Threat status be removed from the member in question?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Aye
68.00%
17 68.00%
Nay
28.00%
7 28.00%
Abstain
4.00%
1 4.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Removal of Belschaft's status as a Security Threat

This is a vote to remove the security threat status pertaining to Belschaft.

Pursuant to Article 1.2.7 of the Charter, the procedures for voting are as follows

Quote:7. Citizenship may be removed by a majority vote of the Cabinet if a nation is found to be a security threat. Citizens removed for being a security threat may appeal to the Assembly which may reverse the removal by a 75% majority vote in favor.

The motion requires 75% of voters to vote in favour in order to pass. The voting period will last for 3 days

Debate on the motion can be viewed here.

Voting will conclude on Monday, 15 February 2016 at 6:07pm (GMT+8). A countdown timer is available here

So far it quite looks like this will pass.

Don't jinx it!
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(02-13-2016, 01:46 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Don't jinx it!

what? you scared? Tounge

Never count the votes to till the polling closes <_<

(02-13-2016, 03:33 PM)W. Charlesfort Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 01:46 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Don't jinx it!

what? you scared? Tounge

See what you did!? Tounge

<33

This vote has failed 17-7 (70.83%) with 1 abstention(s). As the percentage of voters who voted in favour is below the required 75% threshold, the Security Threat designation on member Belschaft remains in effect.

Well. I guess Belschaft should have stuck with Hileville and his cabinet rather than restore the Coalition.

How ironic that after everything, the very people he decided to help are the primary voices in preventing him being able to return to The South Pacific's society.

I wonder... It does appear that nothing has changed and clearly nothing shall. Pity, but alas the rule of law only goes so far in a browser game. It's a shame more people don't realise that.

Some of us shall not make such mistakes again.

*sighs*

Too be quite frank I expected this outcome, considering the absurdity of the law, which is why I wanted Tsu to just revoke the designation. However, he was understandably wary of doing so unilaterally.

However, with the clear support of over 70% of the Assembly, I can only hope that he feels this is a sufficient mandate to do so.

(02-15-2016, 07:17 AM)Lord Ravenclaw Wrote: Well. I guess Belschaft should have stuck with Hileville and his cabinet rather than restore the Coalition.

How ironic that after everything, the very people he decided to help are the primary voices in preventing him being able to return to The South Pacific's society.

I wonder... It does appear that nothing has changed and clearly nothing shall. Pity, but alas the rule of law only goes so far in a browser game. It's a shame more people don't realise that.

Some of us shall not make such mistakes again.

I think these are premature conclusions to reach. I'm certainly not thrilled with the outcome either, but 71% of voting citizens did vote to overturn Belschaft's security threat designation. The problem, as is often the case, is a flaw in the charter, and we all knew coming into this process that constitutional reform is needed -- hence the upcoming Great Council.

I believe those who voted to obstruct the clear will of a 71% supermajority of voting citizens behaved irresponsibly, but I don't think this means nothing has changed, nothing will change, that the rule of law must be disregarded, or that Belschaft should have continued the recent coup. I definitely understand and relate to the frustration, but let's wait and see if the Cabinet overturns the security threat designation, if the law is changed so a lesser supermajority can overturn it, and what outcome discussions about security threat designations in general during the Great Council might yield. Rome wasn't built in a day. Which isn't much comfort to Belschaft as he is being disenfranchised by seven people, but all I'm saying is let's be patient and continue working toward change.