We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Citizenship

Personally, I would like us to get rid of the idea of "citizenship" or at least applying for citizenship.

Instead, I'd like us to move toward having legislative seats in the Assembly. That way instead of relaying on a post count, we can do it based on voting activity. It will also take the admins out of the equation and — ideally — change the idea that masking dictates the position.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I'd just like to say that I support entirely the proposal made by Tsu. We should replace the current citizenship model, where it's something that you have to apply for and carries legislative and elective rights. Everyone with a nation residing in TSP, and thus under our jurisdiction, should be assumed to be a citizen until demonstrated otherwise (ie; found to be a puppet of X player who is only in TSP for Y nefarious purposes).

The political rights of citizenship should be transferred to a new legislative designation - "Assembly Member" - and The Chair put in charge of maintaining membership roles. I also agree that voting activity should be needed to maintain membership, rather than post count.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Are we talking limited seats?

The biggest issue with ideas like these is vote brigading. It is an actual thing that happens when GCRs let it happen. How do we prevent Gameplayers from swamping the Assembly whenever something mildly controversial is being voted on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do we prevent that now?

No. Determinating citizenship by your voting activity? You serious?

Not all citizens like to be political. They either don't want to or don't care. There are citizens who just don't care. Like me, mostly.

I keep my citizenship to be a citizen of TSP, get involved in politics if I want to, vote in elections if I wish, and to stay on the RP Map. No way Im supporting this.

And we can't just give citizenship to every gameside person. No way. Just. No. Way.

I agree with Glen's concerns. I would like to point out that people can create puppets to manipulate a non-forum vote if we gave everyone citizenship. It is just not feasible, at least for a giant feeder region such as TSP.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(04-03-2016, 04:56 PM)Belschaft Wrote: How do we prevent that now?

Erstwhile citizens who thrive on controversy tend to let their citizenship lapse. The application and review process provides a disincentive to drama tourists, because they can't immediately go vote in the Assembly.

I would not be opposed to letting the Chair basically tell them to eff-off, though. TSPers tend to dislike it when you can't provide an objective way to review things like that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-03-2016, 05:00 PM)Ryccia Wrote: No. Determinating citizenship by your voting activity? You serious?

Not all citizens like to be political. They either don't want to or don't care. There are citizens who just don't care. Like me, mostly.

I keep my citizenship to be a citizen of TSP, get involved in politics if I want to, vote in elections if I wish, and to stay on the RP Map. No way Im supporting this.

And we can't just give citizenship to every gameside person. No way. Just. No. Way.

I agree with Glen's concerns. I would like to point out that people can create puppets to manipulate a non-forum vote if we gave everyone citizenship. It is just not feasible, at least for a giant feeder region such as TSP.

That's not what is being proposed, at all. What is being proposed is detaching the political rights of citizenship and instead attaching them to a new masking/designation.

(04-03-2016, 05:35 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(04-03-2016, 05:00 PM)Ryccia Wrote: No. Determinating citizenship by your voting activity? You serious?

That's not what is being proposed, at all. What is being proposed is detaching the political rights of citizenship and instead attaching them to a new masking/designation.

If that's the case I can get behind that.

Initially, I was going to let this go, but I feel it misses the entire point of the debate. This would make everyone "citizens," allow those participate in the Assembly to do so and not have this cluster-eff of a system we have now.

I think it's short-sighted and self serving to suggest the entire region should be running around killing itself to maintain citizenship lists and check posting requirements so you can possibly participate in something maybe.

Under this *everyone* would be a citizen; everyone just wouldn't have to participate in the Assembly that you find so un-appealing.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]