We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Syaqin aren: A Beginner's Guide

Syaqin aren, or 'the beautiful speech' (no nation is without its moments of arrogance), is the official language of Erinor.  Whilst the Serevan language has also been granted official status, Erinor is a long way off giving either the language or the people an equal platform.  As a consequence, it is Syaqin aren which you are the most likely to encounter during any diplomatic dealings with Erinor or even whilst holidaying there unless you enter the Autonomous Region of Sereva.

Therefore, to help you make the most of your dealings with Erinor, the Erinoran Courts of Foreign and Domestic Affairs, with the help of the Court of  Education, have produced the following primer on the language.  Whilst every effort will be made to accommodate foreign dignitaries and visitors, we nonetheless hope you find this a helpful resource.

Updated: Added Part III: Nouns.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Updated: Finished verbs and added adjectives, adverbs and miscellaneous particles. Later, probably much, I'll add a section with useful phrases and examples.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Updated: Added Part VII, containing some examples and useful terms/phrases for the roleplay (if you want to use them, it's entirely optional) which will be updated as I come up with things.

Incidentally, if you're paying attention (again, so optional) and you're a stickler for detail and you notice a mistake (unlikely set of conditions, huh?), please let me know and I'll correct it. I'm far from fluent in my own creation, despite its unnatural regularity.

OOC: I just had to say: Wow! This is great. Are you a Tolkien fan, perhaps? The words "look" like they could be one of his elvish dialects, and the pronounciation as well as the noun declination madness (a term I use endearingly Smile) is roughly similar to how I remember it from Quenya.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Thanks. Happywide It's great to have someone appreciate it other than me!

Quenya was certainly an inspiration (and the reason I got into linguistics at all). Latin inspired me a bit too, and Spanish. The sounds are basically just the ones I liked the most from a number of other languages (Russian's in there also), whilst the vocabulary is based on what I thought sounded right, or is based off other languages if I really liked their word ('Decsin' for 'book' comes from Greek 'codex', for example and 'Syarkha' for 'dragon' is based on Hungarian 'sarkany'), or is an obscure reference ('Edea', 'queen', is from the sorceress in FFVIII, whilst onesyin, 'slave', is a reference to a slave called onesimus referenced in a New Testament letter). I definitely did mention I was a geek, right? Smile

I started working on this when I was 17. I'm 32 now, so I'd probably do some things differently, but I don't really have time to spend hours at my computer constructing a language from scratch anymore. It's nice to have a new excuse to revive this, though, and finally expand its vocabulary!

its quite detailed indeed, like the others you can try to build your own sentence in syaqin.
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

Atyë, syaqin letun suin! Anu Syaqidi aren, Nwaurim decsit marem myevein tacirein.

[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(05-07-2016, 09:22 PM)Roavin Wrote: Atyë, syaqin letun suin! Anu Syaqidi aren, Nwaurim decsit marem myevein tacirein.

Letunin khifevosuin suin!  There aren't enough words! :p

And you're pretty close there.  I think I only see a couple of mistakes.  You haven't put an adjectival ending on 'letun' to agree with 'Syaqin' in the first sentence and Syaqin is in the wrong case in the second sentence (should be prepositional rather than ablative).  The word order also should be revised as Syagin aren is not the subject of the second sentence (although I haven't made hard rules for what to do with it).

Also, you've inadvertently pointed out a mistake of my own, because you should be able to coin a word for (a/the) writing, but I've made that impossible by making it the word for writer instead.  Writing should be Nwauro and writer should be Nwaun-(o, a, in).  I shall correct this immediately.

So, anyway your revised sentences become:

Atye, Syaqin letunen suin! Nwaunar Decsit marem anu Syaqici aren myevein tacirein.

Update: Added a Part VIII on How Erinoran Names are Formed - in case you were either a) curious or b) genuinely worried you might have to make one up one day and wouldn't know how.