We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Union Writing System Contest

Time to get creative for the second time for the Union!

This time, political struggle has forced this contest. In order to avoid accusations of imperialism by indigenous groups and member states, and to create a federal identity, not only the Union is creating a new writing system, its creating a new federal language, still keeping English and Latin as official in a transition period, until the majority of the people know this new proposed lingua franca.

This contest will be open until June 1, 2016 in the Gregorian Calendar(a.k.a. this calendar).
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

So you are basically asking us to make a language for your union?
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

-.-
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

Writing system, not language. The language I'll make myself.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Alright, my writing system is that everything is written backwards from the left

E.g:

roy era who iH
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

Accepted, but I think the judges will not like it.

Just draw something on a paper and photograph it. Or draw something on your computer. Or something. Anything.

It's rather difficult to make an orthography (writing system) for a language you don't know. You need to have an idea of how many characters are needed for one thing, whether it would best be served by an alphabet, an abjad or a syllabic system (I'm assuming you really don't want logographic/ideographic like Chinese, right?). Whilst written language tends to remain the same longer than spoken, and in that sense at least 'comes first', it usually happens organically with the spoken and if you produce it artificially, as a complete effort (like Korean) it's best to know your language well.

If you can give us a general idea of some of those issues, though, we could all have a go, I'm sure.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Use English but write all the words backwords, make the sentences like Yoda talk and go from right to left.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy: