We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Ammendment: Regional Officers Act

I've come across another minor oversight; the PM was left out of the Regional Officers Act. As such, this is a minor amendment to correct this;

Quote:Regional Officers Act

An act providing for the granting of Regional Officer powers to government officials

1. Regional Officer Power Definitions

(1) Under the terms of the act, the following powers are defined as--

a. “Appearance” is the authority to alter the World Factbook Entry and pin Dispatches.
b. “Border Control” is the authority to eject and ban nations from the region.
c. “Communications” is the authority to send region-wide telegrams, moderate the Regional Message Board, and alter regional recruitment system powers.
d. “Embassies” is the authority to open and close in-game embassies, and control which embassies may cross-post on the Regional Message Board.
e. “Executive” is the authority to appoint and remove Regional Officers.
f. “Polls” is the authority to create regional polls.
g. “World Assembly” is the authority to approve of World Assembly proposals and to cast the region's World Assembly votes.

2. Regional Officers

(1) The in-game Delegate will be granted all Regional Officer powers.

(2) The Prime Minister will be granted all Regional Officer powers.

(3) The Minister of Foreign Affairs will be granted the Embassies power.

(4) The Minister of Regional Affairs will be granted the Appearance and Communications powers.

(5) Members of the Council on Regional Security will be granted the Border Control power.

(6) At least one member of the Local Council will be granted the Polls power.

3. Executive Discretion

(1) The Cabinet may grant Communications, Appearance, and Polls powers to regional members as they see fit.

4. Limitations

(1) Border Control power does not grant any legal authority to eject or ban nations from the region when not authorized by security or criminal laws.

(2) The Communications power must not be used excessively in a way that effectively spams the region.

(3) Exercise of Regional Officer powers must follow all applicable laws and rules. Behavior unbecoming of a representative of The South Pacific may result in suspension of Regional Officer power, even for ministers, as determined by a majority of the Cabinet.

A discussion might also be appropriate about granting other elected officials RO status, such as the Chair of the Assembly and the Minister of the Military Affairs. There's also a separate discussion I'd like to have about the logic behind granting Border Control access to any RO, but that is more appropriate as a separate matter.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Considering that the PM is entirely a forumside position instead of a gameside one, do they really need to have all the RO powers? Do they really need border control, for example? Would they even have tge legal authority to use it? And do they really need to control embassies either?

The PM is explicitly identified as primus inter pares within the Cabinet, as well as the head of government. I think it only appropriate that they be given access to the various RO tools they may need or want to exercise their duties.

I think an argument can be made to not grant them BC powers, but it's the same argument I would make against granting anyone BC, not something specific to the PM.

I think there's a case to be made for granting the PM these powers. While it's a forum side position, the PM has a share of the responsibility for regional security.

If we do amend the law, though, it's worth noting that only the Delegate can hold WA power technically. If that changes, would we want the PM to be able to cast the region's vote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say explicitly exclude WA for PM, that's one of those explicitly gameside things that we should leave to the position they have a say in.

If we do want to future-proof it maybe allow the Delegate to assign the WA power to someone

Agreed with Farengeto.

We're likely going to tackle the WA thing legislatively anyway - Railana has mentioned establishing a formal WA office during the GC, and I'm all in favor of that (as I'm sure most are).
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Actually, if we expand the CRS we could run into another issue. We're only allowed 12 RO if my memory is correct (not sure i lf delegate included). Between four ministers and three local council members, if we have more than 5 members of the CRS not in either then some will be unable to be granted powers. We can legally not grant the powers to two LC, so if we still want a WA advisor that leaves at most 6 CRS not in Cabinet/LC before we have problems.

Given those limited numbers I'd like to also address that potential issue. I'm not sure how to word it, but something like this:

If all CRS can be granted RO powers, proceed as normal
If not all CRS can be granted RO powersl, do the following
  • Grant all CRS members with other RO positions the CRS RO powers
  • Grant any remaining CRS members RO powers based on greatest to least endorsements
Essentially, grant it to everyone with other powers then give it to the rest based on most endorsed.

I personally question the logic of giving BC to CRS members, as the first thing any couper would do is remove it from all of them instantly. I'm not sure it actually serves any purpose.

(05-29-2016, 06:12 PM)Farengeto Wrote: Actually, if we expand the CRS we could run into another issue. We're only allowed 12 RO if my memory is correct (not sure i lf delegate included).
[--snip--]

Charter IX.10 already addresses that. Smile

(05-29-2016, 06:34 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I personally question the logic of giving BC to CRS members, as the first thing any couper would do is remove it from all of them instantly. I'm not sure it actually serves any purpose.

Endocap enforcement comes to mind. That's usually harmless and could be solved through other means in most cases but if somebody seems to deliberately tart themselves over the cap and is fast approaching the Delegate's endo count, I'd feel better if the CRS can put a preemptive stop to that.

(I wasn't around then, but I can imagine this would stop a coup a la Devonitians in 2011...)
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Eh, 99% of the time in that situation they just stop when it's pointed out to them. For the other 1% the Delegate can handle it.

Honestly, I'd rather have the RO slots given to people who can use them for their jobs - Local Council members and Cabinet members.