We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Resolution 008: Free Movement and Unification of Borders Act

[Image: eF1eZBJ.png]
Resolution 008
Free Movement and Unification of Borders Act
Or
SCO Area/SCO Bloc

In view that freedom of movement is a key goal of the Southern Cooperation Organization, in order to create a visa-free SCO, the Southern Council resolves as follows:

1. SCO Area

By this resolution, the SCO Area is created. This visa-free, border check-free area will eliminate border checks, borders in general and visas between all member nations. 

SCO Area Citizens have the right to move freely, work and reside in any area of this bloc. Nations cannot impose border controls against other members of the bloc, but they can control their borders as they see fit with non-bloc nations.

2. SCO Members

Joining this bloc is optional for all nations, but to those who don't rule out the possibility of joining the bloc are encouraged to join without facing the application process opt-out nations must do.

Citizens of countries member to the SCO Area, who reside in other member countries, shall be guaranteed the same protections under the Charter of the Southern Cooperation Organization. Member countries, in accordance to their constitutional requirements, may decide whether such persons may participate in their political processes by voting and running for political office.

SCO Area Citizens living in the member nation must follow the laws of the nation like any other citizen of the member nation.

3. Non-SCO Members

Non-SCO Members may request to join the bloc, but all members of the bloc must be in consensus for such applicants to join without transition, and >50% must be in agreement to commence the period of transition. Non-bloc SCO members have no say in these applications.

4. Period of Transition

After the bloc has commenced the period of transition, both the bloc and the Non-SCO applicant must initiate this period. In this 6-month period, all benefits of the SCO Area will be given to the applicant, except right of work and residence to both the bloc's and the applicant's citizens. 

After this, the bloc will vote to either admit or refuse the applicant. If a consensus vote is not reached but if it reaches >50%, another period of transition will commence. If the periods of transition last for 3 years, the applicant will be rejected automatically from joining the bloc. 

5. Opt-Out

SCO Members can rule out joining the bloc and lose the chance to join without an application. However, if they wish to join after ruling out joining the bloc, opt-out nations must follow the same processes as Non-SCO nations if they wish to join, but they do not require any transition.

6. Request to Leave the Bloc

If a member requests to leave the bloc, a transition period of a maximum of 2 years will commence, in order to negotiate the terms of their exit from the bloc. 

SCO Area Citizens living in the requesting country must be offered citizenship or an exit from the requesting nation after the transition has concluded, and the exit comes into effect.

7. Currency

Member nations can accept or deny currency as legal tender in their territory from another bloc nation. After accepting, the nation must treat it as legal tender, but if they wish to reject it, they must negotiate with the other bloc nation the nullification of this currency and the citizens who have their savings in this currency must be compensated.

Ratified in XX-YY-ZZZZ
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

This is an interesting proposal. However, I would like some clarity on certain provisions of this proposal. In the second article, the proposed resolution states, "Joining this bloc is optional for all nations, but to those who don't rule out the possibility of joining the bloc, it is mandatory to join." I am confused by this text. What does it mean by "those who don't rule out the possibility of joining the bloc, it is mandatory to join?" If a head of government want to join, does that mean that the country as a whole must join? I believe that a decision like this should be left to the eligible voting population of member countries via referendum.

Ms. Kara Stevenson
Ambassador to the Southern Cooperation Organization
Third Republic of Qvait
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Member nations can decide to enter the bloc via any means they wish: voting on legislature, referendum, etc.

And by that it means that if a country does not say "We don't want to join", but doesn't request to join anyway, then it's mandatory. That's what opt-outs are for.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

On this point, I would like this proposal to include an explicit provision stating that member countries may decide whether or not to join this area according to their constitutional requirements. On to another point, the second article also states, "member nations can set a time of residence quota ranging from 1 second-3 years for SCO Area Citizens in order to be allowed to be involved in their political process, such as right to vote or right to run for office." I am under the impression that this would allow foreign nationals to participate and vote in the political processes of countries of which they do not have citizenship. Is this correct or am I wrong about this?

Ms. Kara Stevenson
Third Republic of Qvait

My History

That is correct, but for those who reside in the member nation, not just a tourist.

Well, I must say that this is concerning, because the Qvaitican Constitution in its current form only allows citizens of Qvait to participate in the political processes of my country. I believe that if foreign nationals want to participate in the political processes of another country, such people should become citizens of said country, not just a resident. Now, I am for foreign residents being guaranteed the same constitutional rights of citizens, but the right to vote and run for office in Qvait is off limits and is only guaranteed to Qvaitican citizens, not residents.

Ms. Kara Stevenson
Third Republic of Qvait

My History

That's where the opt-out comes in. If your country does not want to do constitutional reform, it's optional to join.

Or we can compromise right now. I believe that this provision should be revised. Here are the changes that I propose:
  • Original: Along with this, member nations can set a time of residence quota ranging from 1 second-3 years for SCO Area Citizens in order to be allowed to be involved in their political process, such as right to vote or right to run for office. Freedom of speech, however, must be granted anyway.
  • Revised: Citizens of countries member to the SCO Area, who reside in other member countries, shall be guaranteed the same protections under the Charter of the Southern Cooperation Organization. Member countries, in accordance to their constitutional requirements, may decide whether such persons may participate in their political processes by voting and running for political office.

Ms. Kara Stevenson
Third Republic of Qvait

My History

Sounds great, for a more accessible bloc.

I'm glad that we could agree to this. At this time, I don't have any new concerns, but I would like to hear from other members of this organization.

Ms. Kara Stevenson
Third Republic of Qvait

My History