We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

At Vote: Amendment to Articles IV and XII of the Charter

I propose the following amendments to Articles IV and XII of the Charter

Quote:Article IV

5. All bills must be moved to a vote upon receiving a second by another legislator, provided that no further debate has occurred on the issue for 48 hours thereafter, which may be waived at the Chair's discretion. . The Chair is responsible for the creation of a voting thread, and recording the votes. In the event that the Chair does not or cannot perform their duties in a reasonable timeframe, any member of the Assembly may create a voting thread.

Quote:Article XII

2. Debate on Charter amendments will last for a minimum of two weeks, unless the Council on Regional Security acknowledges that the amendment addresses an immediate and perilous issue that threatens the security of the region. Any amendment that directly affects the game-side community or its home governance, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, must also be debated and voted upon by the game-side community.

These amendments ensure that adequate debate has occurred before a bill is put to vote, but at the same time also ensuring that the work of the Assembly is not hindered by a two-week mandatory debate period, especially on minor amendments or when most Legislators are in support of a proposed bill.

Just realised the irony of having to wait two weeks before this amendment can be put up to vote, given that this amendment is aimed at scrapping that requirement Tounge

Can we have a clause giving the chair leeway in declaring debate over in case of gerrymandering?

Also, thanks for finally addressing this absurdity.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(07-21-2016, 04:07 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Can we have a clause giving the chair leeway in declaring debate over in case of gerrymandering?

Also, thanks for finally addressing this absurdity.
What do you mean by gerrymandering?

Sent from my MI NOTE LTE using Tapatalk

Sorry, I meant filibustering - I'm still not properly awake.

(07-21-2016, 04:52 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Sorry, I meant filibustering - I'm still not properly awake.

Yeah, I would define debate to be posts with substantial content, and not just people posting 'I support' or the occasional 'this forums are not legitimate' etc. That will probably not belong in the Charter, but in the Standing Orders when we come up with it.

Article IV needs a correction: 'in the evhaent'.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(07-21-2016, 05:17 AM)Seraph Wrote: Article IV needs a correction: 'in the evhaent'.

*curses his trackpad for being sensitive*

I would prefer we keep a clause allowing us to expedite all security-related and time-sensitive matters.

I'd be happy to have that as well, so long as the power is transferred to the Chair where it belongs.