We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to Article IV of the Charter; Conflicting Bills

Quote:IV. THE ASSEMBLY

Legislative Rules

7. Should a debate lead to multiple competing bills on a single issue, the Chair will bring them to vote in a sequential order based upon which bill has the most seconding motions. Should any bill on the issue be adopted, the issue shall be considered settled and competing bills will not be brought to vote at that point in time.

7. Should a debate lead to multiple competing bills on a single issue, the Chair will bring the competing bills to vote separately and simultaneously, in the same way regular business is done. The bill that gets the most aye votes and meets minimum threshold requirements will become law.

This is a much fairer system than the one just passed. It gets rid of the incentive to pile seconds to get to vote first, and allows Legislators the maximum amount of input into which bill becomes law. The way we vote would be the same as on any bill, but whichever one gets the most votes wins (assuming any bill reaches the minimum threshold required).

Okay we haven't passed it yet. I also think that maybe this would be a bit difficult to justify as if both pass an argument could be made that both should now be law. I think no matter what we pick there will be people who are opposed.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

This has my full support.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Has my support as well.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

It has my support I just have some procedural worries about it.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(08-17-2016, 04:32 PM)Omega Wrote: Okay we haven't passed it yet. I also think that maybe this would be a bit difficult to justify as if both pass an argument could be made that both should now be law. I think no matter what we pick there will be people who are opposed.

Well, the point of this is so that there isn't an argument that both should be law. We vote on all conflicting bills, and whichever one we all agree with the most wins. It's basically like approval voting in an election.

Aside from some concerns regarding its implementation, this has my support

Full support!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chief Supervising Armchair

Here's what I need to know right now. Is the general consensus that I wait on the treaty bill until this can be voted on and passed before bringing them to a vote?
Has Been
What's Next?

Yup - I think that's the best approach.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]