We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Cabinet Executive Order

Our Charter creates a system of checks and balances, envisioning multiple co-equal branches of government that cannot dominate each other. Central to these tenets is the inability of one person to hold positions of power in branches that are meant to provide checks or balances to each other. The Cabinet is faced with the prospect of this tenet being violated, through holes in our constitutional electoral laws. Because this is such an important part of our democratic system, and we believe our system risks instability without it, we must take the step of invoking our executive authority power to remedy this hole in our laws. This authority is vested in us by Article VI, Section 11 of the Charter: "11. The executive may exercise the collective authority of executive orders, by unanimous consent among the Prime Ministers and Cabinet Ministers. Executive orders may only be issued to address an immediate and pressing issue created by ambiguity or holes in a particular law, which will immediately have the effect of law."

We are unanimous in the following:

No person may hold more than one elected or appointed position, or positions in two or more branches of government, except when explicitly allowed for in the Charter and laws passed by the Assembly.

With this executive order, nobody currently holding a position in the Cabinet, the High Court, or the Local Council may be elected for the open position of Chair of the Assembly, being the leader of the legislative branch of our government, unless a tentative resignation from the current position in case of victory is given. We want to stress that we are not acting as a court interpreting the language of the Charter to somehow find this requirement within it all along, but rather using our executive order authority to address an immediate and pressing issue created by a hole in our electoral laws that allows a basic tenet of separation of powers to go violated.

Pursuant to Article VI, Section 12 of the Charter, this executive order is immediately put on the floor of the Assembly for three days of debate. If the Assembly fails to incorporate this order into law under regular order, then it will expire. To expedite debate and drafting of an incorporating law, the Cabinet recommends amending the Elections Act with the following article:

Quote:...
6. Separation of Powers
(1) No person may hold more than one elected or appointed position, or positions in two or more branches of government, except when explicitly allowed for in the Charter and laws passed by the Assembly.

7. Constitutional Law
(1) The Election Act is a constitutional law, and further amendments to it must meet constitutional amendment requirements.
Semi-Unretired

This is an obviously needed executive order. I congratulate the Cabinet on their fair judgement and exceptional wisdom, and I will gladly support this order.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

This will need to be motioned to a vote. I will, as this is a conflict of interest for me, be abstaining from any of this conversation.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

A crucial executive order that should be passed into law as soon as possible to be able to ensure the integrity of the South Pacifican government, in whatever side of NationStates it may take.

Edit: Motion to vote.
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

Agreed, I also motion to vote.

(08-31-2016, 08:40 PM)Omega Wrote: This will need to be motioned to a vote. I will, as this is a conflict of interest for me, be abstaining from any of this conversation.

Don't really see how it is. If you're running for CoA you literally *cannot* be the Dep CoA if you win.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

(08-31-2016, 08:59 PM)Resentine Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 08:40 PM)Omega Wrote: This will need to be motioned to a vote. I will, as this is a conflict of interest for me, be abstaining from any of this conversation.

Don't really see how it is. If you're running for CoA you literally *cannot* be the Dep CoA if you win.

I'm not DCoA anymore. That office was abolished when Awe's nation CTE'd.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(08-31-2016, 09:10 PM)Omega Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 08:59 PM)Resentine Wrote:

I'm not DCoA anymore. That office was abolished when Awe's nation CTE'd.

Either Way, still don't see a CoI there.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Either way, I think we have a motion and a second on this.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(08-31-2016, 09:43 PM)Resentine Wrote: Either Way, still don't see a CoI there.

I'm running against two people this directly effects. If it passes it could change the whole election, possibly in my favor. That's why i see it as a CoI
Has Been
What's Next?