We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[IC] TSP-SOFT Negotiations

[Image: 640px-Landtagsprojekt_Mecklenburg-Vorpom...oe-160.jpg]
Everyone walks into the Cabinet Room in the Elector Primos office campus. The room is known for fights over policy but also for some of the great political victories for the Federation. The FSoO delegation sits in the center and the Elector Primo rises and goes up to the podium.
Elector Primo: Everyone, welcome to this historic gathering. All of you graciously accepted our invitation to participate. We are excited to begin talks on what the future of free trade will look like her in TSP as we look to a more interconnected world. Trade is not only good for our economies but hopefully, it can also keep us from war. That is what we are here to discuss. My delegation will be here to moderate disagreements we may have, as well as contribute to the discussion.
I hope you all enjoyed last night's dinner and with out further ado, let's start this Summitt!
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Chancellor Margaret Harrison, flanked by Labor Secretary March Hunt and Environment Secretary Sasha Williams, was the first foreign delegate to speak, "Thank you for hosting such a historic summit. The United Kingdom of Qvait and Winston Island has a great interest in negotiating a free trade agreement here in Omega. It is the priority of the United Kingdom to achieve greater global integration, and on the economic stage, establishing a free trade area is the second step of seven towards complete economic integration, which I hope we can someday establish. However, it is the hope of the United Kingdom to set international standards and regulations that serve to the benefit of the workers and environment of our respective countries. If we are to come to an agreement on free trade, we must make sure that all workers of countries member to this multinational free trade agreement have a fair amount of rights and we also want to set international regulations that serve to protect the environment from corporate actions that would otherwise harm it. Other than labor standards and environmental protections, we also want to make it clear that all members of this free trade area must make illegal child and forced labor."
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

After Chancellor Harrison finished speaking, President Revan Kensei said, “On behalf of the Empire of the Imperial Federation of Frost, we would also like to thank you for hosting this historic summit. The Frost Empire has a vested interest in achieving a free trade agreement. Furthermore, since the Empire has one of the most stringent trade regulations to safeguard the environment and benefit our workers. We are hoping to negotiate a model that loosens these restrictions while preserving its benefits to promote trade with the rest of the region. In addition, we agree with the Chancellor of the United Kingdom of that Forced labor and exploitation of minors be declared illegal.”

The Secretary of Trade and Commerce Kayla Tate stood up and said: "Can we all agree though to tariff-free trade between all of our nations? I'm sure human rights and environmental concerns will take a while to negotiate, however, I am sure that we can all at least agree to that."
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Chancellor Harrison said, "Of course, but we must make sure that regulations concerning labor and the environment are properly addressed in this agreement. If we tackle these issues in this agreement, we will make sure that businesses in our respective countries will not move overseas to other countries that have fewer regulations. Fair trade is just as important as free trade."

My History

President Kensei responds, "Indeed, but before the Empire can agree to a tariff free trade between participants we must act to prevent unfair trade practices as well as resolve any currency disputes that will inevitably arise from these negotiations. If the delegates do not mind, the Empire seeks to establish a single currency to ensure that corporations do not exploit citizens of a country with a currency that is much lower than their original currency."

Chancellor Harrison replied, "I agree. A few years back, Qvait replaced the Qvaitican dollar with the Pacific dollar to promote global integration. This is a move that my predecessor, as part of the Republic of Qvait, pushed in the CESTA. Perhaps, we can use the Pacific dollar as a universal currency."

My History

"Whilst the Democratic Republic of Erinor is in general agreement with the United Kingdom over the need for increased integration to maintain peace," Sirea Fasya-Arkhando, Erinoran Sityara of Foreign Affairs, said as she leaned in towards her microphone, "but we differ, I think in how best to achieve it.

"We believe that integration can only work so long as there is also maximum autonomy and preservation of national identities. As such, a single currency monetary union would rid our nations of one of their symbols, something that at least a portion of all our citizens feel tied to and proud of. We would suggest a counter-proposition. Monetary union using multiple, single-value currencies. Each nation would preserve their own currencies, but these would also be legal tender in all other member states of the monetary union. Similarily, the value of the currencies would be the same as they would be promissory notes for a portion of the same, combined, international GDP.

"Now, of course, such a system is not without its complexities and there would be details to be worked out, but we believe that our citizens would be much more accepting of a monetary union that allowed them to maintain the identity of their national currencies, and thus a part of their own national identity and sovereignty.

"Further to this, Erinor could only accept being part of a free trade zone and monetary union if we were also allowed freedom of movement and shared security resource - possible with the creation of an international police organisation. This would allow labour to be spread where it is most needed and aid the overall international economy on which each of our nations would then be relying.

"We do see a problem with all this, however, and for this, I must address our concerns directly to our hosts."

Sirea turned her gaze upon the Elector Primo. "You have opened discussions on this topic here in this illustrious city as a gesture of your much-vaunted neutrality. If some of the conditions Erinor and other nations are putting on the table are accepted, however, it would seem to us that The Federated States of Omega would lose that accolade as you would automatically be bound to a number of other nations in the South Pacific and your economic fate would become entwined with that of ours and other nations. This would undoubtedly prevent any true neutrality on your part. Would Omega be able to sign up to such a deal if that were the case?"
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

"I believe what we can do here is as follows" began the Elector Primo. "I think when we make the final agreement we should break it up into multiple sections. One on free trade between nations, one on free travel, one on unitary monetary policy, and others on whatever else we agree on (International police, International Court etc.). This way the FSoO can only agree to what will allow us to stay neutral and instead not agree to any parts that would make us have to no longer maintain our neutrality."
Has Been
What's Next?

The Union's representatives had been hearing for quite a while, as so did Ryccia's. However, one of the Union's members finally spoke

"I respectfully object" said Chancellor William Fasaroç. He had the task to watch the Imperial Union's economic sector, so he spoke against one proposal in particular "I will have no unification of currency. It is in the best interests of the Union to reject a currency shared by other nations that could make our economy volatile, thanks to it being vulnerable to other nations' economies. Therefore, we totally and absolutely support Erinor's proposal on acceptance of other currencies instead of one single currency"

"We will not be subject to economic manipulation"

He then spoke on other proposals

"On the elimination of tariffs, we would agree, if we set up a commission to prevent an illegal economic process called "dumping", among with other illegalities. We fear that, if countries that are not as rigorous on dumping do not take action, our local economy will be damaged, along with others. We will not accept that"

"On child labour, it is very obvious that it must always be illegal. In fact, the Union prides itself on the ardous work the authorities do to stop this practice, and doing so will carry a 50-year prison sentence, the harshest penalty that the Union's courts can normally give"

"On the issue of free movement, we absolutely agree with this proposal. If this comes into law, not only our economies would improve, but there would be an increase on social and cultural areas. After all, if we can visit pass the border to a foreign nation without burdersome bureaucracy, we can understand and immerse ourselves in it easier, being a tourist or a new resident, thus getting a new social and cultural perspective"

"On the proposal of an international police, we will agree, if local authorities in the end retain supremacy. After all, I'm sure that your nations wouldn't like other nations conducting investigations without their authorization. For the Union, it would be seen as a violation of it's sovereignty"

"On the proposal of an international court, this is a no-brainer for our nation's sovereignty: no. The Union has the sole authority on ruling on it's cases and laws. It will not be forced to comply to an international judicial entity. If there is an issue between two nations, use the old-fashioned way: diplomacy"

After he had finished speaking, Karen Urbelgie, the Ryccian Federation's Finance Minister, stated her opinions. It would be the first time a delegate of the Ryccian Federation would talk at an international meeting at this scale since the fall of the old regime.

She made sure to not waste her time

"I agree with my Unionist counterpart here on the issue of currency" she said "a single currency would be too risky, and Ryccia is not in the state to have a volatile economy. It would not support the impact of such economic trouble"

"We can totally agree with our Omegan counterparts on the issue of tariff elimination. After all, when the international markets grow and we are a part of them, we grow as well"

"We, like all sane nations, have agreed to make child labour a crime. However, some mountainous parts of our country are not as stable as the rest of Ryccia, so it has become very hard to police them, with crime increasing. We have brought Unionist soldiers to help, but if other nations help us, our fears of child labour in those areas will end"

"On the issue of free movement, we have no objections. We will be ready to implement any policy, and a free one is just what we might need"

"On international police, I strongly oppose my Unionist colleague here. If we all investigated on others, we can help each other on crime. Local authorities do not necessarily need to have supremacy. Rather, co-operation between both local and international authorities could bear great fruits"

"On the international court proposal, this is exactly what we need. What if a country refuses to intervene in an economic matter such as dumping? The country/ies affected can bring that nation to court to hold them accountable"
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)