We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

CAIN Treaty Amendments

As declared here.

Per the details of the CAIN treaty, we have to adopt the amendments agreed by the regional representatives or exit the treaty.

When CAIN was first proposed I expressed concerns about the unwieldy nature of large, multilateral alliances. Whilst I remain supportive of anti-Nazi and ant-fascist military action, I have limited confidence in CAIN - either as it is organised now, or with the proposed structures. I dislike the establishment of a centralised bureaucracy for CAIN, which would acquire de-facto direction of our military and foreign policy. At the same time, however, without such a centralised bureaucracy CAIN has proven itself... unwieldy.

As such, I would suggest that the Assembly withdraw us from CAIN, either subsequent to Cabinet notification in keeping with Article 2, Clause 3 of the Treaties Act or by refusing to ratify these amendments.

I would like to see TSP and the SPSF continue to work with the CAIN signatories, many of whom are our allies, but not as a member.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

My two biggest problems with CAIN are that it's a very opaque alliance and that it's susceptible to mission creep. It seems the signatories had an opportunity to address transparency, and still decided that all debating and voting will be behind closed doors. As for mission creep, there doesn't seem to be any real guidelines that prevent an ever-expanding definition of "Nazi Collaborator," which will keep embroiling the alliance in controversy.

So, I agree with Bel, pretty much. We should keep working with antifa allies. But CAIN is a flawed vehicle for that.

I'm just going to say, when Bel and Glen agree on something, it must be headed in the right direction.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Well I'm glad to see co-operation on something! So I formally move this to a vote.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

I'd generally like to get some feelings from the Cabinet before we vote.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(01-31-2017, 11:13 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I'd generally like to get some feelings from the Cabinet before we vote.

Yes of course. I would be shocked though if they were to not post before the required debate time expires.
I do want to hear from our MoMA and our MoFA.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

MoRA?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(01-31-2017, 11:36 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: MoRA?

MoMA. I fixed it.
"Oops"- Governor Rick Perry
Has Been
What's Next?

There are doubts over the legality of the vote for the most recent amendment, and it appears as though the vote will have to be retaken. As such, we can't vote on the amendment. We can and should, however, have a discussion about withdrawing from CAIN.

It's fair to say that CAIN isn't quite what we were hoping for. We can leave it, or we can work on an amendment for me to present to the other signatories.

How about we exit?
- Winner of 'Most Energetic Campaign' in the June 2016 TSP elections.
- Winner of the Best Overall RMB poster and [b]Best RMB Welcomer of the The South Pacific Coconut Awards, 2017[/b]
- Craziest Person of the June 2017 Cabinet 
- STARS Commander 

- APC -  normal member/The undisputed king of all silliness, eternal ruler and God Emperor of APC
- Swan Knight or something
 Cob Award Winner: Top-50 most endorse buttons clicked
- Regional Leda Award Winner: Top-50 highest average endorsement count