We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Legal Question: Status of the Lampshade Accords

Your Honor:

I submit the following legal questions on the status of the Lampshade Accords, between the Coalition of the South Pacific and the Elemental Republic of Spiritus. These questions are based on Article 1, 1.2 of the Lampshade Accords.

Quote:1.2 The South Pacific recognises the Elemental Republic of Spiritus under the Constitution of Spiritus as the legitimate government of Spiritus and resolves to recognise any legally enacted successor government.

As of 19 February 2017, the Founder, President, and World Assembly Delegate of Spiritus have jointly made the decision to dissolve the Elemental Republic of Spiritus under the Constitution of Spiritus and to initiate a constitutional convention. However, this dissolution of the constitutional government and initiation of a constitutional convention contradicts the constitutional process for amending the Constitution of Spiritus, which reserves the power to amend the Constitution of Spiritus to the regional legislature and citizenry:

Quote:56. The Regional Assembly shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution by a two-thirds supermajority vote.

57. Any amendment proposed by a two-thirds supermajority vote in the Regional Assembly shall then go before the citizens of Spiritus in a referendum. If approved by a two-thirds supermajority of the citizens of Spiritus the amendment shall be ratified.

Therefore, my questions are as follows:

1. Can the extralegal interim government declared by the Founder, President, and WA Delegate of Spiritus, or any government created by the extralegal constitutional convention they have initiated, be regarded as a "legally enacted successor government" under Article 1, 1.2 of the Lampshade Accords?

2. Can any government other than "the Elemental Republic of Spiritus under the Constitution of Spiritus" or a "legally enacted successor government" be recognized by the Coalition of the South Pacific as the legitimate government of Spiritus while the Lampshade Accords remain in effect?

3. Do the Lampshade Accords remain in effect until repealed by the Assembly, or have those accords been voided by the extralegal dissolution of the Elemental Republic of Spiritus?

I thank the Court for its consideration.

Upon further consideration, I withdraw this question, as it likely does not fall under the Court's jurisdiction. My apologies.