We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Disussion] Intelligence in The South Pacific

Hi,

Recently we’ve been having various discussions on intel and how intel operates in TSP.  We have the CRS which gets intel in various ways and shares with each other and then the cabinet\delegate.  

We have the SPSF which may have in the past gone on intel missions or because of their functions get access to certain types of intel. This is what we have right now:
10. The Minister of Military Affairs may elect to establish an intelligence office, in equal coordination with the Council on Regional Security.”
What does this mean, “in equal coordination” in practical terms?

Then we have members of the cabinet, such as the FA Minister, who may get intel from various sometimes surprising sources.

Sometimes there seems to be a bit of a “the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing” effect because there isn’t a clear chain of command.

One  would like to assume, for example, that the CRS is the head and therefore all reports go to them or through them.  That someone, in a clear chain of command, authorizes any intel ops or missions but do we have any laws or codes that guide this? What we have could be clarified further and then actual things put in place to help.

Can we discuss how to put our functioning intelligence resources in a way that they are cohesive?  For one thing, I would like a Discord intel channel or even server where I could update various people under a clear chain of command and get advice.

The next is to add this to the Charter:
12. The CRS will approve of any intel operations undertaken by any branches of government including the cabinet, the SPSF or individual or parties.  Intelligence operatives must keep the CRS updated with their information for optimal intelligence coordination.

Now, we might have members in the community who are great at intel but aren’t on the CRS for whatever reason. Do we need a role for them or a way (like a channel and a secret forum on the TSP forums etc) that allows these people to all work with the CRS\etc in one place?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Also, in my opinion, the SPSF should only participate in R/D-related intelligence operations.
Chief Supervising Armchair

(03-15-2017, 10:54 PM)vietnam Wrote: Also, in my opinion, the SPSF should only participate in R/D-related intelligence operations.

You are the MoMA, so your opinion is not only valid but you were elected by the region to make choices for the SPSF! Smile

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(03-15-2017, 11:45 PM)Escade Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 10:54 PM)vietnam Wrote: Also, in my opinion, the SPSF should only participate in R/D-related intelligence operations.

You are the MoMA, so your opinion is not only valid but you were elected by the region to make choices for the SPSF! Smile

We still need to codify it  Tounge
Chief Supervising Armchair

agreeed.........cannot imagine viet going on regional infiltration missions
*yun looks burnt*

tbh the idea wouldn't be radical...some places already do this

You go girl ^-^

Yeah, CRS and SPSF are completely uncoordinated. SPSF and CRS have no obligation to even think of helping each other. I am not trying to blame anyone here, but even the recent investigation into Bel shows that they aren't exactly willing to help each other out.
John Hills- President of Ausstan

I'm with Viet here.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I'm with sort of with him. I agree that SPSF should stick with R/D stuff. We need to decide who is responsible for what, and how they communicate with each other. I don't support too much work being done on this for now, as Roavin and Imki are seriously considering working on a new defence council, which I support. It will be easier to get this done after we find out what happens with that. It will be hell if we get their new defence council and we have to rewrite all of this stuff to suit that. That being said, I strongly support both ideas, as they could work well together.
John Hills- President of Ausstan

Saying "The CRS will approve" technically means we must approve. Tounge

I think if the SPSF is conducting intel like "is a major coordinated raid about to go down?" that's fine. If it's along the lines of "sending spies to infiltrate", that should be run by the CRS, and tbh probably the Cabinet as well. Intel operations like that can spin out of control if uncovered, and they've been the cause of wars and diplomatic fallout before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree that there does need to be better coordination in regards to who is and isn't gathering intel and in what ways, but that being said the more people who know that the harder it is to keep anything secret. There's a reason why, historically, intel was always gathered and shared informally.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]