We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Assembly vote times

As brought up on Discord, it is codified that discussions last as long as the bill/amendment would be up for vote, but  thereis no law about how long votes are required to be up. Glen has said that we use the traditional 5/3 day format for votes (and discussions), so that's what I used in this amendment.

Charter Wrote:IV. THE ASSEMBLY

Legislative Rules

5. All bills will be moved to a vote upon receiving a second by another legislator, should the Chair or their designated deputy determine that there has been sufficient debate on the issue. Debate must last for a minimum period of time equivalent to that the proposed legislations will be at vote for time.

6. Votes will be held for 120 hours (5 days) for constitional laws and 72 hours (3 days) for any other legislative vote.

All bullets renumbered thereafter *
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

(03-28-2017, 09:23 AM)Rebeltopia Wrote: As brought up on Discord, it is codified that discussions last as long as the bill/amendment would be up for vote, but  thereis no law about how long votes are required to be up. Glen has said that we use the traditional 5/3 day format for votes (and discussions), so that's what I used in this amendment.

This is laudable, but I'd be inclined to change the wording (and the order of its logic):

Amendment to Article IV sections 5 and 6 Wrote:IV. THE ASSEMBLY

Legislative Rules

5. All bills will be moved to a vote upon receiving a second by another legislator, should the Chair or their designated deputy determine that there has been sufficient debate on the issue. The minimum debate period which must pass before a vote can be held will be determined by the type of legislation-- Debate must last for a minimum period of time equivalent to that proposed legislation will be at vote for.
a. 120 hours (5 days) for constitutional laws
b. 72 hours (3 days) for any other legislation.

6. Votes, once held, will be of the same duration as the minimum debate period for that type of legislation.

*All bullets renumbered hereafter*
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I tried to change as little as possible ?

I'm inclined to vote for any variation of this that makes it to vote
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

This seems look a good idea, and I'm fine with either Rebeltopia's or Seraph's version tbh.

(03-28-2017, 12:16 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: I tried to change as little as possible ?

I'm inclined to vote for any variation of this that makes it to vote
Which is also laudable. I'm just picky. [emoji14]
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I would suggest placing this in a regular law, really. The 5/3 convention isn't important enough to be considered a fundamental part of the government. We may want to change it, which has happened before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it makes sense to just stick it with the rest of the legislative rules, rather than have them spread out in several places.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(03-28-2017, 03:24 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I think it makes sense to just stick it with the rest of the legislative rules, rather than have them spread out in several places.

And that's how you get an unmanageable and bloated charter. This isn't a constitional issue, so it shouldn't be in the constitution. It's also something we don't need to subject to a supermajority to pass now or change in the future.

You know who could tell if this is constitutional? The court. We have one in case we have forgotten.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(03-28-2017, 04:35 PM)sandaoguo Wrote:
(03-28-2017, 03:24 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I think it makes sense to just stick it with the rest of the legislative rules, rather than have them spread out in several places.

And that's how you get an unmanageable and bloated charter. This isn't a constitional issue, so it shouldn't be in the constitution. It's also something we don't need to subject to a supermajority to pass now or change in the future.

Whether or not it's constitutional, that's where the rest of our legislative rules are. Seeing how the only sensible thing to do is keep them in one place, either we add this there or move the entire section elsewhere.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]