We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Faren for PM: How Far Can We Get?

Hey TSP,

It’s been a year since I ran for Prime Minister. Back then the position was newly created and I emphasized the importance of defining how it would be run. A year later it is important to reflect on that question. Whether you believe it to be justified or not the position of Prime Minister had developed a reputation of inactivity and stagnation. If elected Prime Minister it will be primary duty to revitalize the role, and turn it into a respectable position for TSP.

For those of you who don’t know me, I am Farengeto. I have been in The South Pacific for nearly four years now and am no stranger to TSP’s government. During my time in TSP I’ve served in nearly every area of our regional government. I've served terms as MoRA, MoFA and CoA; I was a former long-time member of the SPSF; and now I currently serve as the Permanent Justice and on the CRS. My time in these areas have helped to teach me about the varying needs of each body in TSP and what they require to be successful.

As Prime Minister my main goal for the term will be taking a more active approach to cabinet leadership. Where possible I aim to assist each Cabinet member in their duties, helping with their work and making sure they can work to the best of their ability. However as Prime Minister my goal would not be to micromanage the Ministries, with most decisions ultimately being left to their respective ministers. I therefore do not have detailed agendas for each Ministry at this time, but rather will sit down with the newly elected ministers to work out our joint interactions for the term. While the broader policy will be left to the Ministers, there are goals I have for the Cabinet and Ministries:
Communication: The most important aspect of any functional government is communication. It is my goal to ensure all information is being properly communicated; be it between between Cabinet ministers, from the Cabinet to the region, or between the forums and gameside.
Foreign Affairs: Foreign policy will be left to the Minister’s judgment, beyond ensuring any actions taken are not against the interests of The South Pacific. I hope that in any foreign negotiations I will be able to serve as a secondary contact for the Minister.
Regional Affairs: Given the amount and type of work involved with the role I imagine this would be the ministry I work with the most. Here I hope to help with the often complicated structure of the Ministry and keep work moving smoothly. As it has a large staff I also hope to ensure its deputies will be able to participate in the Cabinet discussions where possible.
Military Affairs: I hope the SPSF will be able to maintain its high level of activity into the next term. While its activity is much higher than in many previous terms and its activities are known abroad I feel its activity is greatly underreported within TSP. Whether it is done on the regional forums or in-game I believe this is something crucial to both accountability and ensuring that all of TSP is made aware of the SPSF’s level of activity. I also hope that we will be able to work to refill our depleted General Corps, ensuring a stable and continuing leadership for the SPSF.
Gameside: While the Prime Minister’s job is primarily forumside I hope to ensure proper communication takes place with gameside. After their respective elections I hope to work with the Local Council and Delegate to discuss the relationships between our offices, and in the case of the Delegate how to handle our regional leadership.

So why should you vote for me? I bring my years of experience and dedication to TSP, and everything my time here has given me. I bring my knowledge of the TSP and institutions, built by service in nearly every office. I bring the objectivity of my time in the Judiciary, to guarantee a fair leadership for the region. Vote Farengeto for PM and we’ll see just how Far we can get.

I'll start by wishing you best of luck. You are definitely one of the more senior and experienced people in the region, and the breadth of experience and dedication to the region and its ideals you have are an unquestionable plus. With that in mind, I do have a few questions about your campaign:

1. You open your campaign with a promise to make the position of Prime Minister more active, and the implication is you will provide a more prominent leadership. However, you go on to outline an agenda not unlike that which got Drugged Monkeys elected thrice to the position. Will you offer actual leadership within the Cabinet, offering and advocating for an overall regional vision, or will you merely provide more prominence to Cabinet actions?

2. You identify important areas of improvement with the operation of the Special Forces. Could you provide similar input on the other ministries?

3. You indicate that you will leave foreign policy up to whoever is elected Minister of Foreign Affairs. Does that mean that, should they advocate for a foreign policy that may be detrimental to the region, or contrary to its overall direction thus far, you would not step in, or argue for an alternate direction, within the Cabinet?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

YUY ^_^ 

Good format 
<3

Love the enthusiasm

If brought to the Cabinet by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, would you favor or oppose a treaty alliance with the New Pacific Order?

What do you plan to do should you not be elected?
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(06-05-2017, 01:55 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
I'll start by wishing you best of luck. You are definitely one of the more senior and experienced people in the region, and the breadth of experience and dedication to the region and its ideals you have are an unquestionable plus. With that in mind, I do have a few questions about your campaign:

1. You open your campaign with a promise to make the position of Prime Minister more active, and the implication is you will provide a more prominent leadership. However, you go on to outline an agenda not unlike that which got Drugged Monkeys elected thrice to the position. Will you offer actual leadership within the Cabinet, offering and advocating for an overall regional vision, or will you merely provide more prominence to Cabinet actions?

2. You identify important areas of improvement with the operation of the Special Forces. Could you provide similar input on the other ministries?

3. You indicate that you will leave foreign policy up to whoever is elected Minister of Foreign Affairs. Does that mean that, should they advocate for a foreign policy that may be detrimental to the region, or contrary to its overall direction thus far, you would not step in, or argue for an alternate direction, within the Cabinet?

1. I aim to focus primarily on assisting the Ministers of the Cabinet. I envision my leadership helping the Ministers in their duties, and also working to provide a coordination to the Cabinet as a while.

2. For MoRA the main area I would like to focus on is in integration. It is an area I feel has been underdeveloped in recent months, however I would hope to improve MoRA activity in all areas where possible. As MoFA has less day-to-day work I don't have the same level of goals for Foreign Affairs, with the main target being to ensure that our diplomatic policy remains in the interest of the entire region of TSP.

3. I address this somewhat above, but while the Minister is free to determine the regions and type of interactions they will pursue during the term if I believe they are taking actions detrimental to the diplomacy or security of the region I would step in and try to argue for alternative policy. Barring extremely questionable behaviour by a MoFA I do not imagine I would need to try and step in like that.

(06-05-2017, 01:09 PM)Cormac Wrote: If brought to the Cabinet by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, would you favor or oppose a treaty alliance with the New Pacific Order?

It would depend on the circumstances. What the details of the treaty entail firstly, what kind of scope would be a major factor. For such a controversial region it would also greatly depend on the motivations and security risks involved - both of the NPO and potentially the Minister who proposed it, and also examining the impact such a treaty would have on our existing relations. However most importantly I believe that in most cases treaties should only be established with regions where we already have relations, something that does not yet exist. So while the answer would not be a firm no, I would require much more justification and established relations before I would approve of it.

(06-05-2017, 05:00 PM)Omega Wrote: What do you plan to do should you not be elected?

I would stay on in the Court for the time being.

So I do like a lot of the campaign and particularly the focus on communication and supporting the ministers.  What will this mean? What will communications look like from you forumside and gameside? Will you ask ministers for regular updates (as former delegates used to do)?.

What particular aspects or moments or highlights of your long and dedicated career in TSP do you think best show how you will fulfill your goals or your particular skills? 

How might you differentiate between yourself and Roavin's campaign?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(06-07-2017, 04:53 PM)Escade Wrote: So I do like a lot of the campaign and particularly the focus on communication and supporting the ministers.  What will this mean? What will communications look like from you forumside and gameside? Will you ask ministers for regular updates (as former delegates used to do)?.

What particular aspects or moments or highlights of your long and dedicated career in TSP do you think best show how you will fulfill your goals or your particular skills? 

How might you differentiate between yourself and Roavin's campaign?

My aim is to assist with the organization and execution of ministry work; for MoRA this might be working on projects, for MoFA it might mean assisting with negotiations. In regard to gameside I intend to wait until after their respective elections to begin properly pursuing relations, discussing the specifics together rather than unilaterally forcing my forumside policies to gameside. Overall with the Delegate I hope to pursue a balanced split of power in regards to regional leadership, rather than the sort of Delegate/VD status it sometimes feels like we have. With the Local Council I want to make sure that they feel like part of the Coalition government, keeping their autonomy to make decisions but ensuring the LC doesn't feel like entity separated from the Coalition. I will expect to be updated on ministry progress and I think updating on the region of these are a good idea.

This is a good question and deserves an answer, but it's rather late and in my tiredness it seems I'm having trouble thinking of moments. I will get you a proper answer tomorrow.

I'd say the main difference is my greater experience, both from my time in the region and range of experiences. I would also cite the difference in foreign involvements, both for the potential conflicts of interest and the split activity level.

I think you and Roavin have both put forward strong campaigns, but I believe you have the right combination of experience and temperament for current circumstances, and I preferred your answer in regard to a potential alliance with the New Pacific Order. You have my vote.