We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Resident Spotlight: Pencil Sharpeners 2

The lights twinkle on as the host walks on stage

Punchwood - Addressing audience:  Our guest tonight is a current Local Council member and all around nice guy, please welcome out Pencil Sharpeners!!!
Offers a drink to his guest, while sipping some coffee - Well we must start at the beginning. How did you find TSP and what made you stick around?

Pencil Sharpeners - About 3 years ago, my second nation, Pterodoria was founded here. For the first year or so of my NS life I did very little but answer issues on my rapidly expanding list of puppets. However, a couple of years ago, an ejection contest was organised, which led to me founding Pencil Sharpeners, and then Pencil Sharpeners 2 for a contest later that year. After the second one, I felt comfortable enough to become active on the RMB, and the rest is history!

Punchwood - So what area of TSP most attracts you?

Pencil Sharpeners - Anything which involves having fun, which is mainly regional affairs. I've never been one for political debate, but helping activity in the region is something I enjoy a lot. Oh, and polls. I really like polls…

Punchwood - Chuckles - So will you be increasing activity gameside, seeing as it was a gameside activity that kept you here and with you just being elected to the LC?(edited)

Pencil Sharpeners - Yes. Due to the limitations of the RMB, the gameside community can often get left out of festivals and other regional activites, many of which are more suited to forums. Since becoming a part of the MoRA advisory council, and then being elected as a Local Councillor, one of my main aims has been to organise more activities on the RMB. So far we've had a few quizzes and competitions, and I'd like to continue involving the RMB for the remainder of this term.

Punchwood - So really increasing activity for all is a key issue for you?

Pencil Sharpeners - Yes. Everybody's NS experience begins on the gameside, so by generating activity there, we will hopefully retain more people, and therefore gain more active members throughout all the different areas of TSP.

Punchwood - Could we see more of you in RA or other areas of TSP? Would you be prepared to run for a Cabinet position, RA would be most logical I would presume?

Pencil Sharpeners - Probably not any time soon. When this LC term ends, I'll likely be busy IRL, so will probably be taking a step back from NS (unless procrastination gets the better of me...). As for the cabinet position, it will probably depend on changes from the Assembly. Currently, non-legislators are unable to run for cabinet positions, and I have no intention of becoming a legislator due to my lack of interest in both politics and the forums. Secondly, the RA umbrella is quite large, and both roleplay and forumside activities are areas that I'm not involved in at all, so would leave me under equipped as minister. There have been talks of splitting the ministry though, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens in the future.

Punchwood - Nods thoughtfully - Are you proud of your achievements so far in NS? Is there anything you would change or do differently?

Pencil Sharpeners - I'd say my achievements so far have been slow and steady, with regular RMB activity being my main aim currently, rather than anything particularly spectacular. I'd say I'm proudest of the LC laws that I wrote with the help of the RMB last term. It's the first time to my knowledge that laws have been drafted and discussed entirely on the RMB, and I'd like to think that us RMBers gave the Assembly a lesson in civil political discussion!
Looking back, I don't really think I'd do anything differently. I don't think there's any big mistake I've made, although obviously I was a little inexperienced at first in the LC, and I'm now much better at the job due to the learning experience of the last few months.

Punchwood - So then who is Pencil Sharpeners outside of NS?

Pencil Sharpeners - I'm a British 20 year old, studying maths at university. I'm a keen runner (at least when I'm not injured...), which is generally the way I like to relax my mind and deal with stress. I'm not yet sure what career I want to pursue, but I'm hoping a maths degree will open lots of doors for me!

Punchwood - Ewwwwww maths. Let me say that again, ewwwwwwww maths

Pencil Sharpeners - That's most people's reaction!

Punchwood - How would you describe TSP to an alien let's say?

Pencil Sharpeners - Well, after reporting the alien to the appropriate authorities, and staying well out of reach of it's death-ray, I'd describe TSP as an eclectic mix of drama and fun; an amazing community to be involved in, but not for the fainthearted!

Punchwood - That's right kids, safety first! What do you think the future holds for TSP?

Pencil Sharpeners - I think anyone who claims to know what the future holds for TSP, doesn't understand TSP, but I hope that we'll have more long-term stability, friendships, and fun! Oh yeah, and our inevitable conquest of all of NS.

Punchwood - Begins to stroke cat on lap - Could we see a Delegate Pencil Sharpeners leading that conquest one day?

Pencil Sharpeners - I... well... uh... Oh! That's a cute cat! Takes cat and pets it. Wait, what do you mean I'm avoiding the question? I'm not avoiding the question! No. Not at all.

Punchwood - Grabs cat back - Well then I think it's time for the serious questions don't you?

Pencil Sharpeners - Oh yes. I'm ready!

Punchwood - What kind of lampshade do you like?

Pencil Sharpeners - I like the modern X-tech Lampshade 3000, which is capable of drying your hair and giving you a massage. At the same time!

Punchwood - Ooooooo fancy! Now then, time to learn which side Pencil Sharpeners is on. Cake or Pie?

Pencil Sharpeners - As a founding member of the Pieletariat, I have made it my aim to provide a voice to those who have been oppressed by the relentless imperialism of the Cakeitalists!

Punchwood - This is a happy day for team Pie and a sad day for team Cake. Checks watch - Looks like that's all we've got time for today, my thanks to Pencil Sharpeners for joining us tonight!

Pencil Sharpeners - Thank you for having me!

Punchwood - Goodnight then, folks!

The lights gradually dim as the two wave goodbye

Interviewee: Pencil Sharpeners 2
Interviewer: Punchwood
Date of Interview: 30th of July
Venue of Interview: Discord
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice
[-] The following 2 users Like Punchwood's post:
  • Argenistan, Volaworand