We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Proposal] Ammendment to Article 3 of the Elections Act

Fellow Legislators,

Through conversastions with members of the CRS, I have discovered a gaping hole in our elections process. There is no clause preventing WA banned legislators from running for delegate. I hope that this proposal can be passed quickly, with little objection.

3. Office of The Delegate

(1) The Delegate will be elected in a two-step process, with the Assembly voting on a slate of nominees on the forums, and the top two candidates in that process being voted on by regional poll on-site.

(2) On the first of every January and July, the Assembly will convene for the first round of Delegate elections.
a. Any eligible legislator wishing to run for Delegate may declare their candidacy, and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platform.  Any player who has been banned from World Assembly membership will be considered ineligible and any candidate who is later discovered to be banned from World Assembly membership will be immediately disqualified.
b. The campaign and debate period will last one week, after which the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
c. The two candidates ranked first and second under IRV will move to a second round of voting conducted via a a poll of Native World Assembly members.

(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
a. A Dispatch containing the campaigns of both candidates will be created to aid voters in their choice.
b. The candidate who wins a majority of the votes will be declared the Delegate-elect.

(4) The incumbent Delegate will coordinate with the Delegate-elect in transitioning the seat, along with cooperation from the Council on Regional Security. Until the Delegate-elect achieves the most endorsements, the incumbent Delegate will still be responsible for all responsibilities that involve use of Delegate-restricted regional controls.

What does everyone think?
Signed,
[Image: tspsig.png]
Positions:
Legislator of The South Pacific
King of Machina, Defence Realm of Illuminati Alliance
Citizen of The East Pacific
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm
Munifiex of The Roman Empire
[Image: rv43j5bZ3p1Rs0A01odvThXy-TLzgwlhUTl_mY9E...66-h654-rw]

I think the idea is good, but it needs rewording, and I'd focus on making sure it's clear that a WA banned player may not run for delegate at all first, then follow through with what happens if evidence is found to suggest that someone running for delegate is, in fact, WA named, and what counts as evidence, after that. I'll try and write a revised version, but it won't be tonight, so if anyone else wants to have a go, please do.

Sent from my imagination.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Okay, I had the time after all, so here it is, although, thinking on it, I'm not sure how neccessary a change this is.  I suppose someone who is WA banned might attempt to troll us through campaigning (and one should never underestimate what lengths trolls will go to), but beyond that all they will have achieved is to inconvenience us since they could not actually assume the role they had been elected to.

Still, I suppose it might be better to be safe than sorry...

3. Office of The Delegate

(1) The Delegate will be elected in a two-step process, with the Assembly voting on a slate of nominees on the forums, and the top two candidates in that process being voted on by regional poll on-site.

(2) On the first of every January and July, the Assembly will convene for the first round of Delegate elections.
a. Any eligible legislator wishing to run for Delegate may declare their candidacy, and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platform.  Any player who has been banned from World Assembly membership will be considered ineligible and any candidate who is later discovered to be banned from World Assembly membership will be immediately disqualified.
b. The campaign and debate period will last one week, after which the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
c. The two candidates ranked first and second under IRV will move to a second round of voting conducted via a a poll of Native World Assembly members.

(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
a. A Dispatch containing the campaigns of both candidates will be created to aid voters in their choice.
b. The candidate who wins a majority of the votes will be declared the Delegate-elect.

(4) The incumbent Delegate will coordinate with the Delegate-elect in transitioning the seat, along with cooperation from the Council on Regional Security. Until the Delegate-elect achieves the most endorsements, the incumbent Delegate will still be responsible for all responsibilities that involve use of Delegate-restricted regional controls.

On a slightly different note, it seems that this would be made quite a bit clearer if we simply mandated that those applying for legislator status reveal where their WA is.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

(08-23-2017, 05:23 PM)Drall Wrote: On a slightly different note, it seems that this would be made quite a bit clearer if we simply mandated that those applying for legislator status reveal where their WA is.

Although they don't need to have a WA membership anywhere at all to be a legislator in TSP.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(08-23-2017, 05:39 PM)Seraph Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 05:23 PM)Drall Wrote: On a slightly different note, it seems that this would be made quite a bit clearer if we simply mandated that those applying for legislator status reveal where their WA is.

Although they don't need to have a WA membership anywhere at all to be a legislator in TSP.

I'm well aware of that. It's a more than reasonable question to put on there though, and would presumably inform the Chair whether or not they're WA banned. Certainly something worth considering...

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Signed,
[Image: tspsig.png]
Positions:
Legislator of The South Pacific
King of Machina, Defence Realm of Illuminati Alliance
Citizen of The East Pacific
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm
Munifiex of The Roman Empire
[Image: rv43j5bZ3p1Rs0A01odvThXy-TLzgwlhUTl_mY9E...66-h654-rw]

Is this really necessary? I'd have thought that it is implicit that to be eligible for the Delegacy you need to be able to become Delegate.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Technically, you can be RO'd as WA delegate without having a WA nation. Might want to add wording that to run as delegate, you should already have a WA endorsement count at or near the endo cap to make sure someone who is elected is close enough so transitions go faster and smoother.

Could we not just say "eligible legislators?" If you don't have a WA account in the region you clearly aren't eligible for WA Delegate. Admittily that is fairly vague and could therefore be subject to interpartaintion.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice