We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Treaty Proposal] Treaty of Democratic Unity

Dear TSPers,

As part of my campaign I promised to expand our relations with UCRs and organizations. Therefore, I would like to present the first treaty that I and the FA Team have been working on this term between the South Pacific (TSP) and the Union of Democratic States (UDS) entitled the Treaty of Democratic Unity.

The UDS is an active and vibrant region with great players and an active defender military.  The SPSF have been working closely with their military for the last few months.  UDS supported and actively participated in the recent Defender Expo hosted by the South Pacific. Currently, the UDS is running an Olympic style R\D Games and for which the SPSF is participating in with raider and defender teams.

TSP and the UDS also collaborated on the recent Nuke day event and both our factions did exceptionally well. As I have stated, for me people make a region what it is and the people of UDS are a pleasure to work with.  A further description of the region and its ideals shows their alignment with our own:“The Union of Democratic States is a democratic region dedicated to the ideals of freedom, justice, and security for all nations. Guided by these values, the political process is open to all, allowing any player to quickly climb the political ladder. The Union has a very active population at a staggering 380 nations, making the UDS one of the largest regions in NationStates.

The community is tightly knit and is proud of the laws and constitution that guide the region. All nations are welcome to join the Union of Democratic States, and to contribute to and advance the growth of this up-and-coming world power."

This treaty will gain us valuable and active UCR allies, I hope the first of many, with a positive and vibrant culture.

If you have any questions please let me know and thank you for your support. 
Quote:Treaty Of Democratic Unity

Preamble

The South Pacific and the Union of Democratic States, endeavoring to promote the ideals of peace and unity among amiable GCRs and UCRs, ensure good relations and cooperation between our two great regions, and recognize the legitimate governments of the same, have agreed to the following Treaty of Democratic Unity.

Article I. Mutual Recognition of Government Legitimacy.
Section 1. The signatories to this treaty recognize the government of each region, based upon its constitutions and laws, as legitimate, and will not extend that recognition to any government that comes to power through means not proscribed by law, which shall be determined by the legitimate government in question.

Section 2. Should the government of either signatory fundamentally change, but not violate the terms of the previous section, the signatories may adopt a memorandum of understanding extending the provisions of this treaty to the new government.

Article II. Security.
Section 1. Both signatories to this treaty vow neither to attack the home region of the other signatory nor participate in any action with the intent to overthrow their legitimate government.

Section 2. Both signatories will refrain from conspiring, either directly or through a third party, to destabilize or overthrow the legitimate government of either signatory.

Section 3. Both signatories will refrain from conducting clandestine operations, espionage, or other forms of spying against either signatory.

Section 4. Both signatories will, in good faith, report any known threat or concern related to the other signatory's security, to the appropriate security organizations.

Article III. Mutual Defense.
Section 1. Both signatories to this treaty may seek assistance for their self-defense by lodging an official request with the appropriate officials.

Section 2. Both signatories agree to aid each other against attempts to illegally overthrow the in-game Delegate of their respective home regions. The signatories must meet for discussions on any matters when, in the opinion of either signatory, the stability or sovereignty of either signatory is threatened.

Section 3. All other requests for aid will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and subject to Article V's conditions. 

Article IV. Cultural Exchange and Cooperation.
Section 1. The signatories to this treaty will endeavor to conduct communal cultural activities, to the benefit of the residents of both signatories, and to strengthen the institutions of peace and liberty.

Article V. Cooperation on Military Affairs between the SPSF and the UDSAF.
Section 1. The signatories to this treaty agree to cooperate, as circumstances permit, on mutually beneficial military operations, including training missions and confidence-building measures.

Section 2. In pursuing cooperation in military operations, both signatories agree that participation on the opposite sides of a military engagement does not automatically constitute hostility or an attack on either party.

Section 3. Both signatories agree to share intelligence as circumstances permit.

Section 4. Both signatories agree to keep classified any information regarding military affairs, and only publish that information in a manner mutually agreed upon.

Article VI. Peaceful Settlement of Disputes.
Section 1. The signatories to this treaty undertake to settle any and all disputes between them through peaceful means and to refrain from using the threat of force or sanction against one another.

Article VII. Deposit and Clarification of Terms.
Section 1. This treaty shall be stored in a publicly accessible area of the community forums of both signatories.

Section 2. The signatories to this treaty may, from time to time, clarify the terms of this treaty through memorandums of understanding, which shall be posted alongside the treaty.

Article VIII. Suspension of Terms and Termination of the Treaty.
Section 1. Either signatory may suspend the terms of the treaty, if the other signatory has materially breached its terms, until such a time that both signatories peacefully settle the dispute and adopt a memorandum of understanding that the treaty is again in force.

Section 2. Either signatory may terminate the treaty within five days of notice, posted publicly in the forum of deposit in both regions, after which the terms of this agreement are no longer legally binding for either signatory.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

100% Support.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Typo in article one section two, unless signator is a word.

Other than that, why are we signing a treaty with a place I've never heard of?

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

I must concur with Drall in that it is strange to sign a treaty with a region I, in my experience, have never heard of, but I guess those issues will be addressed by the respective authorities involved in this diplomatic document.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

SPSF and UDSAF have been very close for a while, this is a beneficial step towards an even stronger bond between two great regions.

Yes it's a UCR, but IMO they've been underselling themselves on the world/GP stage.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

I have always wanted TSP to branch out and form bonds with non GCR (or very well known UCR). This is a great start to hopefully a very prosperous and beneficial relationship!
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(09-03-2017, 11:09 PM)Drall Wrote: Typo in article one section two, unless signator is a word.

Other than that, why are we signing a treaty with a place I've never heard of?

UDS is one of the largest UCRs in the game, a member FORGE, one of the largest inter-regional alliances and among better defender orgs, and has been quite the upcoming region since their founding. They've most recently been host to the R/D Inter-Regional Games, of Which SPSF is one of the larger participants in.

I hate to say it, but, if you don't know who they are, you haven't been paying attention.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Vaguely rings a bell...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a very military driven treaty. Anything the UDS is particularly notable for aside from its size and military prowess?

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

I mean, why not?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

The UDS is a relatively new UCR on the block, so a bit of confusion about who they are isn't completely out there as a concept. 

However, I think it's a really great potential treaty ally. They're rather large at this point, near 400 nations. In addition, they've got a very vibrant culture, a fledging RP community, and a rather active R/D Military that serves as the more-or-less flagship of the FORGE alliance. In addition, The UDS N-Day Alliance was very effective, and they really used their cultural and diplomatic resources to a very respectable 6th place which demonstrated their community unity. 

In regards to the players there, it's primarily newer players with not too many ultra-veterans, and I've never had negative experiences with people from there. I think Thatcher's made a really good region there, who we would benefit from friendship with. They remind me of an earlier-era Spiritus, and think that there's a lot of potential growth to come from them still.

I think our cooperation with The UDS can certainly be multi-faceted. Their military is clearly a present factor, and I imagine that they can frequently work with the SPSF on operations in which our goals align. In addition, I doubt either side will have issue engaging against the other on the field of combat if it were to come to that, so there is no diplomatic problems to be expected from that. In addition, their vibrant culture leads me to believe that they'll be great for potential cultural festivals such as the ones we've seen spearheaded by MoFA Escade with other regions. Finally, their RP community appears to still be growing, and I imagine that there's some great partnerships that could be had between our respective communities there. RPers such as Resentine can speak more to that topic, though.

That's my two cents, anyway.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"