We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Farengeto Q&A

Well TSP, we finally made it. After nearly a year and three Chair resignations we finally reached the end of a Chair term.

I'll be the first to admit the term was not as smooth as I had hoped. Much of August and September was what I can only describe as just a general slump that while not limited to TSP was certainly most visible there. As some of you will know, it was only a month ago where it reached a low where I had made all the preparations to resign. It's only been in the past few weeks that I have managed to start getting things back together, but now the worst is behind us.

The last of the backlog has been cleared, votes are being handled, legislators are being processed. While some delays are still longer than I'd like, the Assembly is once again back on track and largely running smoothly again.

For any failings of this term it was not without its improvements: 
  • A new Legislator roster template was created. The new sheet is easier for the Chair to use in Legislator check, while also being fully transparent in its calculations so that all Legislators can confirm its results.

• Moderation of the Assembly has been improved. As Chair I have made efforts to better handle the constant issue of moderation in the Assembly. I have been more than willing to give warnings where needed, and over the term began implementing new Assembly-specific Moderation policies.

I have always seen the Chair as a purely administrative role. As a result I do not have any legislative agendas for my term, instead focusing on administrative elements: 
  • As the Charter permits multiple deputies I will investigate bringing on additional deputies, with a focus on international membership so that a Deputy is almost always available to address Assembly issues.

• I will expand my existing Moderation Policies, taking the current ones and integrating them into a newer, all-encompassing policy on Assembly moderation and debate procedure. This policy would address Assembly-specific moderation topics and formalize the rules of debate, expanding on areas not covered by the Legislative Procedure Act and similar laws.

As has been said before, the Chair is a tough and thankless job. It's easy to underestimate the amount of tedious and bureaucratic work this position requires. It may not be a fun job; but it's a job I am willing to do, and want to do. I am by no means the best possible Chair, but I bring with me all of my previous terms of experience as Chair, and my years of commitment to TSP and its legal system.

Let's reflect on your current term. I have three points to make:

First, Legislator applications have been routinely left waiting, without a stated or even apparent reason, for up to 3 weeks - see here for a sanguine listing of prominent gaps. These gaps have been large enough that a prominent long-time South Pacificans felt the need to complain about it. These gaps discourage participation and are a bane to integration and retention for our forum-based offsite community.

Second, even when replying to legislator applications, you have been incredibly vague to the point of being absolutely unhelpful. This application was rejected presumably because the individual (called "Aav" and "Aav Whitehall") had not listed the alias "Aav Vasentius", but that is not apparent from your post (not to mention needlessly pedantic). You then ignored that individual's request for clarification, and they ended up reaching out to me (as Prime Minister) in frustration and desperation.

Third, despite repeated prodding, the MATT-DUCK Law archive did not get updated for months. The MATT-DUCK Law Archive is the normative set of laws that we operate under, and is also the set of laws which the court uses to make its rulings. Finally, you updated the archive, but only after it was made embarrassingly public via a dedicated Assembly forum post as well as Discord ping for all legislators. After that ping, it took you only 2 hours to have everything updated.

Given the three points above, why the hell would we vote for you again?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Tai Lung, Lord Shen or Kai?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(10-20-2017, 09:33 AM)Roavin Wrote: Third, despite repeated prodding, the MATT-DUCK Law archive did not get updated for months. The MATT-DUCK Law Archive is the normative set of laws that we operate under, and is also the set of laws which the court uses to make its rulings. Finally, you updated the archive, but only after it was made embarrassingly public via a dedicated Assembly forum post as well as Discord ping for all legislators. After that ping, it took you only 2 hours to have everything updated.

Just to be fair ... I'm not sure you can call someone out publicly, and then come back and say that call out you initiated was "embarrassingly public " ...
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(10-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:33 AM)Roavin Wrote: Third, despite repeated prodding, the MATT-DUCK Law archive did not get updated for months. The MATT-DUCK Law Archive is the normative set of laws that we operate under, and is also the set of laws which the court uses to make its rulings. Finally, you updated the archive, but only after it was made embarrassingly public via a dedicated Assembly forum post as well as Discord ping for all legislators. After that ping, it took you only 2 hours to have everything updated.

Just to be fair ... I'm not sure you can call someone out publicly, and then come back and say that call out you initiated was "embarrassingly public " ...

Embarrassing enough that all of a sudden, the work that was backlogged for months was done within 2 hours of the post.

(10-20-2017, 09:56 AM)Roavin Wrote:

Embarrassing enough that all of a sudden, the work that was backlogged for months was done within 2 hours of the post.

I mean ... I'm not sure that's embarrassing ... maybe no one pointed it out before?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(10-20-2017, 10:00 AM)Tsunamy Wrote:

I mean ... I'm not sure that's embarrassing ... maybe no one pointed it out before?

I did twice, the first time a month prior Tounge

(10-20-2017, 10:02 AM)Roavin Wrote:

Roavin brings up some great points. How do you plan to address your stunningly large inability to do your job?
Signed,
[Image: tspsig.png]
Positions:
Legislator of The South Pacific
King of Machina, Defence Realm of Illuminati Alliance
Citizen of The East Pacific
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm
Munifiex of The Roman Empire
[Image: rv43j5bZ3p1Rs0A01odvThXy-TLzgwlhUTl_mY9E...66-h654-rw]

(10-20-2017, 10:27 AM)rolandarmstrong Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 10:02 AM)Roavin Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: Just to be fair ... I'm not sure you can call someone out publicly, and then come back and say that call out you initiated was "embarrassingly public " ...

Roavin brings up some great points. How do you plan to address your stunningly large inability to do your job?

Fwiw, I don't think it's fair to say that Far hasn't done his job. As mentioned elsewhere, now, the job is quite large and anyone can get overloaded when RL is thrown into the mix.

I think we should rate Far on his ability to put legislation up for a vote — which he did — and how he ran the Assembly, not the tangential issues that can be thrust upon the Chair.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Sorry for the delay, my campaign has finally been released, and is visible in the original post. A few of your questions should be answered in it, I'll address the others soon.