We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Belschaft Q&A

This seemed like a good idea of Far's, so I'm stealing it. Before we begin;

1. I do not want to be CoA - I've done it before and it's a thankless and shit job that produces nothing but endless and tedious admin work.
2. Please do not actually vote for me.
3. Despite what I said when I accepted my nomination, if I end up being elected despite asking people not to vote for me, I will make some effort to actually do the job - whether or not I'll have enough free time to do so is another thing - rather than fobbing it all off on some poor Deputy.
4. That said, if elected I very much intend to appoint at least one Deputy and give them a fair amount of work.
5. The current criminal trial system is a complete mess; the LQ element of the court is working well and Kris is doing a fine job on that, but the criminal side of things needs scrapping. I'll try and do something about that.

That is all.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

I have a fun question and a serious question:

1. Tai Lung, Lord Shen or Kai?

2. How do you believe that reform should happen? Do you believe the input of the Court is important in the drafting and submission of any eventual reform proposal?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

1. Google indicates that this refers to a film about an animated Panda. I understand Tai Lung to be the "villain" in this film, and thus will go with him on principle.

2. I think that the input of lots of people would be important, the Court included. As for what I'm probably going to suggest; scrap the entire damn current criminal system and start from scratch.

If you could rename the Assembly and the office of Chair, what would you rename these to?

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I like the names; they're simple and descriptive. I've always resisted suggestions that we change them.

If you could model your potential performance as chair on a fictional character, who would it be?

Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(10-20-2017, 12:20 PM)Belschaft Wrote: 3. Despite what I said when I accepted my nomination, if I end up being elected despite asking people not to vote for me, I will make some effort to actually do the job - whether or not I'll have enough free time to do so is another thing - rather than fobbing it all off on some poor Deputy.

I do have a few questions.

First, holy shit, are you saying there's actually a remotely viable candidate in this race?

Second, should you be elected, please state an average and a maximum time frame you expect to be able to complete each of the following tasks in:
  • Accepting, rejecting, or commenting on a legislator application
  • Either bringing a bill that has been doubly motioned to vote or commenting on why you have not brought it to vote
  • Closing a vote and, if passed, curating the result into the MATT-DUCK law archive

Third, who would you consider as deputy?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(10-20-2017, 12:43 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I think that the input of lots of people would be important, the Court included. As for what I'm probably going to suggest; scrap the entire damn current criminal system and start from scratch.

I'm not sure how encouraging that sounds, given that the present Court is one of three to have presided over a full criminal case in the past four years, and the only one under the current system.

While this is a democracy, and therefore all input is valuable, I think it's understandable that I want to ensure that the Court will be given an important voice in any reform process, rather than simply one of many.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I honestly don't care about a presumptive CoA's legislative agenda. They don't need the CoA job to do any of that, and I want to know if we can finally have a CoA that can function.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(10-20-2017, 01:00 PM)Seraph Wrote: If you could model your potential performance as chair on a fictional character, who would it be?

Lord Vetinari.

(10-20-2017, 01:04 PM)Roavin Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 12:20 PM)Belschaft Wrote: 3. Despite what I said when I accepted my nomination, if I end up being elected despite asking people not to vote for me, I will make some effort to actually do the job - whether or not I'll have enough free time to do so is another thing - rather than fobbing it all off on some poor Deputy.

I do have a few questions.

First, holy shit, are you saying there's actually a remotely viable candidate in this race?

Second, should you be elected, please state an average and a maximum time frame you expect to be able to complete each of the following tasks in:
  • Accepting, rejecting, or commenting on a legislator application
  • Either bringing a bill that has been doubly motioned to vote or commenting on why you have not brought it to vote
  • Closing a vote and, if passed, curating the result into the MATT-DUCK law archive

Third, who would you consider as deputy?

1. Define viable; it is entirely possible that I may end up swamped IRL and completely unable to do the job at all. I expect to be able to do a decent job, but that may not be the case.

2. a. This would depend on the application in question; some would take a lot longer than others. I expect to be able to acknowledge receipt of an application within 24 hours of it being made, the process of rejecting/accepting it will depend on how long the various security checks take to be completed - which may very well come down to how long the CRS/admin team takes to do them, depending on the level of access the Chair is granted. I think a period of one week from receipt is pretty much the maximum "reasonable" time someone should be waiting, but I'd hope we can get it done a lot quicker.
2. b. Again, this is something that I should be able to do within 24 hours; I check the assembly at least once a day as it is.
2. c. Again, within 24 hours when I check the assembly.

3. Depends on who applied tbh; I'd hope to have someone reasonably competent and if no one applies who I think is suitable I would choose not to have a deputy at all over someone who I don't think is up to it, though I am prepared to train someone from scratch if needed.

(10-20-2017, 01:21 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 12:43 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I think that the input of lots of people would be important, the Court included. As for what I'm probably going to suggest; scrap the entire damn current criminal system and start from scratch.

I'm not sure how encouraging that sounds, given that the present Court is one of three to have presided over a full criminal case in the past four years, and the only one under the current system.

While this is a democracy, and therefore all input is valuable, I think it's understandable that I want to ensure that the Court will be given an important voice in any reform process, rather than simply one of many.

Which case are you referring to?