We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Separate Management of MATT-DUCK from COA

I think it's pretty clear that the MATT-DUCK Law Archive is in a state of utter stagnancy, not having been updated in a good while. While current blame for that does indeed fall on the Chair of the Assembly, I wonder if it may be pertinent to separate the COA's powers a bit so as to ease the tedious workload.

Something we had in Spiritus a constitution or two ago was an Archivist of the Regional Assembly, which was an appointed position specifically made for managing and keeping the law library up to date. We created a special account called Archivist of the Regional Assembly (which can be named whatever here), had that account hold the moderation permissions, and would have all laws, updates, etc posted from that account so there was one account which managed all the things in the library.

By having it as an appointed position, we could usually always find someone who was interested in managing and updating our laws, and there was always the ability to quickly nominate a new individual should the one at-present fail. If I recall correctly, it was an appointed position that just needed simply majority approval from our assembly to appoint the individual to. Then you'd just give them the account password, have them change it for the duration of their term, and have them manage it.

I think such an appointed position could be really useful for us moving forward, as it's pretty clear that we need to do something about the lack of management in MATT-DUCK and perhaps having an appointed Archivist, thus avoiding the needless bureaucracy and pressure of an election for that position, would allow for a better managed library moving forward.

Thoughts?
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

It's not a bad idea. On the other hand, technically this is something the Chair would just do when closing votes. I don't imagine curating an already-diffed amendment into the archive is the epitome of difficulty.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

It's not hard, it's pure laziness, Tim. We don't need a separate person, we need the Chair to pay attention,
Signed,
[Image: tspsig.png]
Positions:
Legislator of The South Pacific
King of Machina, Defence Realm of Illuminati Alliance
Citizen of The East Pacific
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm
Munifiex of The Roman Empire
[Image: rv43j5bZ3p1Rs0A01odvThXy-TLzgwlhUTl_mY9E...66-h654-rw]

I think this gets wrong what makes Chair such a difficult role. It's the combination of apps + Assembly secretarial duties. The Chair is better suited for the latter just because it's already the administrative leader of the Assembly, so we should instead have somebody else do legislator apps.

(10-20-2017, 09:47 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: I think this gets wrong what makes Chair such a difficult role. It's the combination of apps + Assembly secretarial duties. The Chair is better suited for the latter just because it's already the administrative leader of the Assembly, so we should instead have somebody else do legislator apps.

If we were to split anything, why not move Legislator acceptance to the CRS? Chairs keep getting told to better handle security elements with applications so why not give that power (with reasonable appeal) to the CRS? The only reason I have even half an idea of what to look for is because I am also on the CRS.

Also the powers the Chair admin has for managing maskings gives me access to a lot of user info, so maybe we should move that to a position with more guarantee of long term trust?

I’m fine with the CRS appointing at least one of themselves to process applications.

(10-21-2017, 11:16 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: I’m fine with the CRS appointing at least one of themselves to process applications.

Or allowing any member of the CRS to do it. That'd be an even more efficient method, otherwise we're still relying on one individual to be there and do a fair bit of work.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

The issue there is that when it’s nobody individual responsibility, everybody tends to think somebody else will do it.

That's so true!
Signed,
[Image: tspsig.png]
Positions:
Legislator of The South Pacific
King of Machina, Defence Realm of Illuminati Alliance
Citizen of The East Pacific
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm
Munifiex of The Roman Empire
[Image: rv43j5bZ3p1Rs0A01odvThXy-TLzgwlhUTl_mY9E...66-h654-rw]

This is a good idea, but couldn't it be done under the current system via a Deputy?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]