We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Farengeto Campaign Part 2: Here we go Again

Well here we are again. I've raised most of my campaign points in the previous thread, so I will mostly use this opportunity to explain myself.

I can't really even remember what led to my more inactive period. Maybe it was toxicity in TSP, maybe some RL factor, maybe a bit of both. All I can really say is that whatever the cause it completely killed my will to engage in TSP and its politics for months. Much of what I did do then was reluctant and forced by my part. This is not intended to be an excuse, just my attempt at an explanation. I'm sure some of you may not find it the moat satisfying answer either, but it is the best I can say. There's nothing particularly thrilling about a complete lack of motivation in TSP and RL.

It took a while but we've managed to get everything back on track: votes are being processed, apps were being processed with a proper security review, all the administrative backlog has been cleared. I know some of you feel it still can take too long, and to that my only excuse is the debate time; often they are motioned days early and simply slip my mind when the limit expires. However the issue of minimum debate times and their motions has been a lingering question for me, and is one of the first topics I want to improve our handling of in my Assembly Procedure plan for the upcoming term.

The biggest issue I want to address next term is Assembly toxicity. It's been so prevalent and persistent in TSP, many of you have accepted it as part of the region and its culture. But it shouldn't be, nor is it healthy for the region and it members. Toxic arguments have been linked to many of the past few Chair resignations, and the more I think back on it was one of the main reasons for my own inactive period. It's driven countless TSPers out over the years and only discourages new members, and thus is a culture I want to make an effort at reforming in the next term.

My campaign, simply put, is mostly strongly about what might be called "institution building". The Chair has long been a role where plans live and die with each occupant; my goal is to build continuity. I want to build a team of deputies than can manage issues around the clock, training potential new Chairs. I want to explore a lasting bureaucratic team, one that can keep things flowing between terms and in times of vacancy. I want to build a clear set of rules and procedures to keep the Assembly an open place of productive discussion. I want the Legislator Roster to be more than a Google Doc to be replaced with a new one every time the office changes. I want these to be the first steps in converting the Chair from its unstable bureaucracy into a sustainable administration. It is neither a glamorous or simple task, but it will be progress towards fixing the systemic issues that have plagued this position for years.

Your explanations are welcome as are your plans for a potential term. Might I suggest to you and anyone else who is running that if your do get elected, try creating a tspcoa@gmail.com account for all the stuff you want to pass on, like the roster, so it can easily be shared with a successor and doesn't identify you. I don't think Spenty really used the tspmora account, but I still think it is a great resource with heaps of potential.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Would you support CoA reform? Are you willing to be elected for an interim post as Glenn suggested?

I’m also very interested in whether you intent to uphold the call I made last time. This is first time in a long time that nominations have been reopened in a competitive race, and in my RON thread I made it a point that the next Chair term should only last until we pass reforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would you deal with this hypothetical scenario;

A piece of legislation is brought before the Assembly and motioned to vote. Having reviewed it, you believe that it directly contradicts the Charter. What do you do?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(11-02-2017, 02:32 AM)Spenty Wrote: Would you support CoA reform? Are you willing to be elected for an interim post as Glenn suggested?
(11-02-2017, 01:44 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: I’m also very interested in whether you intent to uphold the call I made last time. This is first time in a long time that nominations have been reopened in a competitive race, and in my RON thread I made it a point that the next Chair term should only last until we pass reforms.

I do fully support reform, and I've made a few comments on addressing matters such as addressing Legislator applications. While the position does have its systemic problems, I think the larger issues affecting the stability of the Chair have been largely more personal matters. As is repeatedly said it's a thankless job and you're under a lot of pressure from time and politics. Most of the Chairs we have lost have been for personal issues, either lack of time (such as Awe or Omega) or toxic fighting (such as Glen and Cormac). The main problem the Chair faces isn't something that can really be addressed by laws alone. When the biggest problem people often have with the Chair is its abysmal turnover rate recently, I don't think electing a Chair with the expectation that they resign a month later really helps. A lot of these problems are the more bureaucratic ones that take time to fix.

Even in terms of the amount of work, I think the issue isn't as bad as is sometimes stated. As I've said in the past in regards to MoRA, a lot of the workload problems can be fixed with better delegation of work. We've already seen the day-to-day work handled reasonably well by deputies several times since the GC: Omega in Awe's term, Ryccia in Omega's term, Altmoras in my own term.

There's also quite a bit of more tedious work than can be improved by better handling it. With the legislator checks for instance, my template helped speed up the work but I've also wondered how we might automate parts of it. Many sections, such as the nation status and vote poll results, are largely just checking readily accessible data from NS and the forum, and could potentially make the whole process vastly less tedious and significantly faster. Legislator maskings were always an annoying task, having to individually go into the ACP for each user and configure the settings for each user, and could really use some admin improvements; the maskings were absolutely my least favourite part of Chair work. These are all the more dull and tedious issues that will take plenty of time and the work of multiple people to fix, but aren't really legal issues that can be fixed by those reforms.

(11-02-2017, 03:06 PM)Belschaft Wrote: How would you deal with this hypothetical scenario;

A piece of legislation is brought before the Assembly and motioned to vote. Having reviewed it, you believe that it directly contradicts the Charter. What do you do?

Firstly, assuming I notice it in time I would attempt to raise the issue before hand, and try to have it addressed before it reaches that point. Otherwise if it is motioned I would delay the vote and raise the issue, giving time for those involved to address and fix the issue at hand. If the matter becomes a dispute of the legality I would have the vote delayed while the matter is brought to the court to be addressed, blocking the vote until the matter is resolved. While the court can resolve these matters after they are enacted, I'm not sure anybody can in good faith say they would bring an illegal law to vote.

While I have full confidence in you to be a good Chair again, it’s hard to misinterpret the election result. You didn’t win outright because there was a campaign to re-open nominations, and that campaign was to elect an interim chair.

(11-03-2017, 08:46 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: While I have full confidence in you to be a good Chair again, it’s hard to misinterpret the election result. You didn’t win outright because there was a campaign to re-open nominations, and that campaign was to elect an interim chair.

The first round of campaigns was certainly not my best week. I was feeling tired and pressured, and was never able to explain myself or the issues.

In the week since I've spent a fair bit of time pausing to consider the real issues affecting the Chair and how they might be addressed. As I mentioned before I don't really believe most of the problems to be that of the law itself, though there are of course some that still are. As a result I don't think spending a few weeks on legal matters will really resolve the long term problems of the Chair. Indeed, as I argued before I do not feel going through yet another Chair transition in such a short time will be very productive for the Chair, nor will it help any perceived issues of the position's stability.

I'm not running on a secret agenda or anything with this. I've laid out what I've come to see as the real issues of the Chair from my experiences in the role, and some ways I intend to address them. I do support legal reforms, I just don't believe they address the core administrative issues. For this reason I have opted to support a longer term agenda that can properly address these mostly administrative issues, with time to properly test and revise our solutions.

Given the harsh criticisms of your previous term - why should I vote for you? What's changed in the past week?

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

(11-04-2017, 08:12 PM)Drall Wrote: Given the harsh criticisms of your previous term - why should I vote for you? What's changed in the past week?

Being honest, not much has changed since last week. Much of this campaign is to better try to explain the situation from last term that drew most of the criticism, and the improved situation now that that point has passed. This week had also given me time to really reflect on the Chair, and the problems facing it. I've had a chance to really reflect on these problems and their solutions, and it's left me with a much better idea of what needs to be done in the next term to try and fix the Chair.