We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: What do you call the southernmost ocean?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Antarctic Ocean
26.67%
4 26.67%
Southern Ocean
46.67%
7 46.67%
Other
26.67%
4 26.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The name of an ocean

I was just thinking how some would call the southernmost ocean the Southern Ocean or Antarctic Ocean. It's my opinion that it's called the Antarctic Ocean, but I want to get opinions from everyone here.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(11-22-2017, 12:31 AM)Qvait Wrote: I was just thinking how some would call the southernmost ocean the Southern Ocean or Antarctic Ocean. It's my opinion that it's called the Antarctic Ocean, but I want to get opinions from everyone here.

My nation is the former British Antarctic territory.  We call it the southern ocean.  

the Aussie's refer it the same way:

The Southern Ocean refers to the ring of ocean that circles Antarctica. While the Antarctic continent provides a clear southern boundary, the northern limit of the Southern Ocean is not so clearly defined. Oceanographers usually consider the Subtropical Front - a transition zone between cool, fresh, nutrient-rich subantarctic waters and warm, salty, nutrient-poor subtropical waters – to indicate the northern extent of the Southern Ocean. Although the position of the Subtropical Front varies with longitude, it lies roughly along 40°S for much of the Southern Ocean. Defined in this way, the Southern Ocean occupies about 20% of the surface area of the global ocean.

The Southern Ocean is notorious for having some of the strongest winds and largest waves on the planet. It is also home to the largest current in the world ocean, the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. The Circumpolar Current carries between 135 and 145 million cubic meters of water per second from west to east along a 20,000 km long path around Antarctica. While the speed of the current is not extraordinary (about 0.5 m/sec, or 1 knot, at the surface), the great depth (4 km) and breadth (100–200 km) of the current results in a massive transport of water. The flow of the Circumpolar Current is equivalent to about 150 times the flow of all the world's rivers combined, or 500 billion cans per second of your favourite cold beverage.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/magazine/20...hern-ocean

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

I would call it the Southern Ocean as well, not least because that makes it sound less like an ocean in its own right and more like the southern portion of the global ocean, which is a more accurate description of it, since, as stated above, it is not as clearly defined as other oceans. Of course, all oceans are connected and share the same global current flow so separating then at all is rather arbitrary (although it certainly makes life easier).

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(11-22-2017, 03:40 AM)Seraph Wrote: I would call it the Southern Ocean as well, not least because that makes it sound less like an ocean in its own right and more like the southern portion of the global ocean, which is a more accurate description of it, since, as stated above, it is not as clearly defined as other oceans. Of course, all oceans are connected and share the same global current flow so separating then at all is rather arbitrary (although it certainly makes life easier).

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

Below from Wikipedia (I know) but I would define them as  separate bodies of water due to the drastically different marine environment's the north and south of the Antarctic Convergence.

The Antarctic Convergence is a curve continuously encircling Antarctica, varying in latitude seasonally, where cold, northward-flowing Antarctic waters meet the relatively warmer waters of the subantarctic. Antarctic waters predominantly sink beneath subantarctic waters, while associated zones of mixing and upwelling create a zone very high in marine productivity, especially for Antarctic krill. This line, like the arctic tree line, is a natural boundary rather than an artificial one like a line of latitude. It not only separates two hydrological regions, but also separates areas of distinctive marine life associations and of different climates. There is no Arctic equivalent, due to the amount of land surrounding the northern polar region.

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

I've never called it anything other than the Antarctic Ocean. I suppose one could call the Artic Ocean the Northern Ocean too?

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

I'm one of those that would call that the Arctic Sea.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

I feel like Antarctic is probably more memorable and unique but I don't actually think I've ever had a conversation where we talked about that particular ocean.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

It's interesting to note that Wikipedia prefers 'The Southern Ocean' although lists 'The Antarctic Ocean' as an alternative. Similarly, it prefers the 'Arctic Ocean', but lasts both the 'Arctic Sea' and the 'Arctic Mediterranean Sea' (which I'd never heard before) as alternatives.

I'm still a 'World Ocean' with three lobes (Pacific, Atlantic, Indian) kinda guy.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I don't actually think I learned that the Southern Ocean was a thing. I just do 4: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Same here^^^
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18