We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Grant CRS the power to assign Border Control

As initially mentioned here:

The CRS should be allowed to ask the Delegate to grant or remove Border Control from nations as it sees fit. There are two specific use cases for this I can think of:
  • A border control action needs to be performed that requires a significant amount of influence. The CRS could then, in order to save influence itself, ask a trusted non-CRS member (let's say Pencil Sharpeners 2) to perform that.
  • A border control action needs to be performed close to the game-side update of our region, something which is ideally done by somebody from the SPSF (who, by definition, cannot be on the CRS), because SPSF Officers and above have an understanding of NationStates update timing and would know best when exactly to perform a certain action. There was a situation last term where it was considered between Cabinet+CRS to have me do that, actually, and though we ended up not doing that for a variety of reasons, it's still something that could come up.

A draft proposal:
Quote:3. Executive Discretion

(1) The Cabinet and/or Delegate may grant Communications, Appearance, and Polls powers to regional members as they see fit.

(2) The Council on Regional Security may grant Border Control powers to regional members as they see fit.

Thoughts?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I like it generally.  Which act is this part of, so I can read it in context?

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

I assume it's the Regional Officers Act?

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Sorry, yes, the Regional Officers Act.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Yes, this looks appropriate

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

Well, it's been three days, not many comments, I suppose I'll motion. Smile

Seems good, can't really see any drawbacks. 

I'll second the motion.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

Seems like a good idea, I'll support it.
It's casual- Sharikan
The Gameplayer also known as Kangly/Kang/Kangles

While I am all for giving more power to choose Border Control officers, I am concerned as to there being no limitation on this whatsoever. I feel like there ought to be a check, like put it to vote in so and so branch of government or something of the sort. I can't help but remember various coups and corrupt activities in regions I've been in in the past.

[Image: W9Gx775.png?2]
Wintreath Thane of Diplomatic Officers

Fmr. Local Councillor (9/9/15 - c. 10/15)

Discord:Katie#3933

(11-27-2017, 10:50 AM)Rikutso Wrote: While I am all for giving more power to choose Border Control officers, I am concerned as to there being no limitation on this whatsoever. I feel like there ought to be a check, like put it to vote in so and so branch of government or something of the sort. I can't help but remember various coups and corrupt activities in regions I've been in in the past.

You mean in case the entire CRS decides to coup?