We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Welcoming Committee for/by Legislators?

Pretty straightforward, but as was pointed out by Vol in the attached quote, we have a bit of an issue. Obviously we're all cognizant of the fact that not everyone is going to be an active member of the government. Likewise we know that some of our more active RMB posters could be active in the government if we just give them the proper heave ho. So what I suggest is the establishment of a Welcoming committee from legislators. This doesn't have to be an elected thing, heck it could be ran by the Ministry of Regional Affairs, but this way we can get newer members active on the RMB and from the RMB to the forum and from the forum to the regional government. What I suggest is that we have people at each step of that process. We already have a great group from the RMB who do a good job of welcoming folks there. But once they join the forum or even apply to be a legislator, do we have anything there? Sure there's the welcome thread, but that's both rarely utilized & not exactly the most popular thread. I think that we should discuss this idea a little bit and then decide where to go from there
I would also love for there to be people from the MoRA, MoFA, & the SPSF to be involved in this as well, I think it'd be very helpful all around
It's casual- Sharikan
The Gameplayer also known as Kangly/Kang/Kangles

This seems like a great idea.  Some things we can do to bridge that gap between RMB and forums:

1. Make a concise but engaging list of the things that people can do right off the bat on the forums, which was started here but is incomplete  (sorry):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zThm...sp=sharing

2. A welcome group dm\pm that lets people know who to talk to or ask for help and members check in with them?  Might require as Katie mentioned a Discord group chat or something

3. More later

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

yes, now that I've been here a little bit it's easier to find things, and I'm thinking we do have some similar stuff in the info center threads.  (though I didn't actually find that until I had been here a while already)

the message idea would probably work well.  It might be more efficient to just have a welcome committee that contacts new forum members to direct them to the existing threads, and gives them a point of contact if they feel lost here?  just kind of a "welcome to the community, I'm here if you need anything, orientation type message"

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

Yeah Vol, that is certainly one of the things I would want to have. Not even necessarily a mentorship(although that'd be ideal too) the group could just be "Hi, these are the threads/subforums to pay most attention to if you are interested in this, this or this. If you have any questions just ask me"

Re: Escade's post with the doc: I quite liked the concept of it from my time gazing over it & I feel it would be helpful once completed
It's casual- Sharikan

I'm definitely down for this. The one thing to consider though is how to determine who to mentor or welcome - we obviously can't do this for every nation which joins TSP, but just contacting new forum registrants isn't of course the best way to get people from the RMB. Maybe have a subset of people sending out personal TGs to people ("hey, I read your factbook on your Navy, it looks really detailed! You should come try out roleplaying with us!") who would then siphon players to others on the forums/discord with specialties in different areas and introduce the new players to those specifics?
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

100% agree with this idea Som. Creating subset groups to look at the active RMB posters(especially the RP'ers) would be really beneficial for us in the longer run, if we could get people to RP forumside and on discord we could slowly get them into the politics aspect of TSP
It's casual- Sharikan

yes, the more social side activities like roleplay and festivals would be what draw for most players moving from RMB into forums.  it's when a player first arrives in the forums it can be easy to get overwhelmed or lost.

AS far getting started more people involved the forumside roleplay, it might be as simple the occasional posting on the gameside RMB when new RP's are starting?

(probably not the cannon ones, but it might be nice to invite people into a roleplay "sandbox class" maybe once every other month or so...  I have a feeling if we have an experienced RP person that could guide a small group like that we would have a good response.  I would jump all over something like that, and notice that Midand and North Parie have recently joined the forums and both of them RMB and dispatch write a lot.

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

Yeah I think that this is a really good idea, I'm not really an RP person, but perhaps you would like to be the person that leads that up Vol?
It's casual- Sharikan

We don't need to create anything new in our laws for this. The MoRA is already granted full authority and responsible for welcoming/integration for the forums. This is something that the ministry is supposed to be doing, and it is free to implement this however it wishes already.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that MoRA can already do this however it wants, we don't need to wait and debate a law for this.

Yeah, I'm not saying that this needs to be written into law or anything. More or less this is a way to both draw attention to the topic of getting more done welcome wise & to recruit more individuals to help in that regard of the MoRA.
It's casual- Sharikan