We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Can someone please recall the Permanent Justice?

Howdy!

I'm here to humbly petition the Assembly of the South Pacific to initiate the recall of Permanent Justice Kris Kringle.

You see, nearly six months ago I was charged with treason by Prime Minister Roavin, and yet nearly six months later I am still somehow awaiting a verdict. The reason I'm still awaiting a verdict is because the Permanent Justice has inexcusably delayed the proceedings of the trial not once, but multiple times. Meanwhile, though I'm sure few if any actually care about this, speedy trial is generally considered a vital component of a fair trial, which I'm guaranteed by the Charter. It's obvious that Kris Kringle has been derelict in his duty to provide me a fair trial and to keep the business of the High Court moving along, and insofar as he has presided over an unfair trial and not declared a mistrial because of his own dereliction, he has also abused his authority as Permanent Justice and violated the Charter. He meets all three grounds for recall. I mean really, six months? There's no viable excuse for that.

Unfortunately, as I am not a legislator, I can't move for his recall myself, so I'm asking if there is a single legislator who actually cares whether the High Court provides me -- or more importantly, anyone else -- with a fair trial, that they do me the courtesy of moving for the Permanent Justice's recall. Thanks!

Oh, and if providing me with a fair trial isn't enough incentive, then look at it this way: If you think I committed treason, then Kris has failed to act on this alleged treasonous behavior for nearly six months now. I remain legally free to participate in the South Pacific -- I could move a nation in and start endorsement tarting up to the cap tonight if I wanted to. I could start up a conversation on the RMB about this or that complaint regarding the forum government. I could participate in any area of the forum accessible by residents. I could rejoin your Discord server. I can do anything any other resident of the South Pacific can do, because there has been no verdict after nearly six months. I'm just another resident of the South Pacific according to your law.

The only reason none of that's been happening for the past six months is because I thought it would be silly and childish, and declined to do it. But not because the Permanent Justice actually did his job and rendered the verdict we all -- himself surely included -- know he's going to render.

So, y'know, there's that.

Hi there. Welcome back buddy. Kris announced yesterday that a verdict will be reached. I’m confused though, because it does seem like you haven’t even read your own trial proceedings. Your own “lawyer” has requested numerous delays. The Justice hasn’t delivered any delays that weren’t asked for by the prosecuting or defense “attorneys.”

I’m sure the Assembly will note your suggestion and give it the due respect it’s earned. ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cormac!

Nah, let's not recall Kris. A few reasons:
  • Kris isn't the sole (or necessarily main) reason for the delay - part of that is intrinsically the criminal trial procedure, which we currently are overhauling anyway.
  • Kris has presided over significant court business in the meanwhile, and has been very thorough (almost to a fault). In fact, I'd argue Kris is the best judge we have had in the South Pacific in years, if not ever.
  • Kris has a bit of a busy phase IRL. That happens to the best of us. The proposed court reform helps this situation as it means Kris can offload things more.
  • Regarding the speedy trial issue - there is precedent in our friends in the North that I'd be happy to cite if that LQ were to come up. I don't think that's a good argument.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Recall yourself to Osiris, Cormac. Don't bother us, as many are well aware that you talk trash of our region

#FendaImperialistConspiracyConfirmed
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(02-14-2018, 08:35 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Hi there. Welcome back buddy. Kris announced yesterday that a verdict will be reached. I’m confused though, because it does seem like you haven’t even read your own trial proceedings. Your own “lawyer” has requested numerous delays. The Justice hasn’t delivered any delays that weren’t asked for by the prosecuting or defense “attorneys.”

I’m sure the Assembly will note your suggestion and give it the due respect it’s earned. ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, exactly. 

Lawyers on each side (Roavin and Belschaft) have asked for extensions, etc.

There is court reform in progress and I think this example indicates that we might want to limit the number of extensions lawyers can reasonably ask.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

That's a dangerous proposition.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System