We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Cormac Convicted of Treason

[Image: spn-new-logo.png]
Cormac Convicted
Just as he retires

[Fudgetopia Government Center] Earlier today Permanent Justice Kringle delivered a guilty verdict on the charges of treason in the trial of Roavin v. Cormac (HCCC 1701). Cormac has now been found guilty of treason for statements he made promising to "overthrow the Coalition of the South Pacific, and I absolutely won't stop until it is overthrown and [Sandaoguo], along with [his] supporters and enablers, are purged from TSP ". These statements were cited in the case as direct evidence and while the Defence argued that intent could not be used to show guilt, an action was required for that.

The Court has however found that it believed there to be no doubt that Cormac did intend to overthrow the Coalition and found that his actions did constitute "plotting against the Coalition" which is part of the definition of treason according to Criminal Code. When asked about the difficulty in returning a verdict in the case Permanent Justice Kringle said "[t]his was a difficult case. There was an awareness of the historical significance, given how it was the first criminal trial since Coalition v. Milograd, and the first ever under our current laws. There was no point of reference, no precedent which the Court could consult, so the only guidance was what the law said and what evidence the Prosecution and Defence provided."

The outstanding question was: would there be an appeal? Defense Counsel Belschaft said he did not know at this time if an appeal would be filed for but that it was "unlikely I would be involved" due to RL circumstances. Evidently, should Cormac wish to appeal he would need to either represent himself or would need to find a new Counsel. 

Yet an appeal seems unlikely given how Cormac announced on Sunday that he was retiring from NS as a whole saying " I can't find anything fun or worthwhile to do here at this point". This is not the first time Cormac has retired from the game however long time friend of Cormac's, Koth, said "His reasons for doing so always change but this one is different because this time there's no emotion behind it, not stepping away for his health or anything, none of that[.] He's just bored by the game and doesn't get any entertainment from it anymore, and it's good that people can walk away from situations like that[.]" It can be assumed that this is the end of Cormac's career here on NS. 

And should he choose to come back Cormac will be faced with an indefinite ban from the TSP forum and game side region.

(Editor's note: opinions expressed by individuals interviewed do not reflect those of SPN. Also huge thanks to Somyrion for the new logo!)
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

I'm overwhelmed with joy that the trial is finally over
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

Hmm, I always liked Cormac.

Until he went all, you know, treasony, calling for the end of TSP. Shame it ended like this.
John Hills- President of Ausstan

If we'd had any sense at the time we'd have known this would be how it ended, but he seemed so reasonable.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Yeah, he was always good in an argument. I'd often find myself, against my better judgement, listening to him, or even agreeing.

/s

Being serious though, he took a small grudge against a few people in TSP too far. I am a TSP legislator and I personally often disagree with Sandaoguo. Doesn't mean I claim I intend to paint the walls of NS with his blood, or threaten to destroy TSP in a burning blaze of glory.

EDIT: No he didn't really do either of those, I know. 

PS: Sorry, Sandaoguo, you're a cool guy. Smile

I mean Cormac has a history as a player of wanting drama and chaos. Look at his chosen name and its meanings. He wanted to drag regions, specifically TSP, into war.  He wanted TSP to be couped and purged.  He also besmirched TSP and continues to do so (look at our embassy thread) when we try to make alliances. Was he a unique kind of persona in the game? Sure? Has he been banned from other regions regardless of his charm? Most definitely. 

At the end of the day, the security (and sanity) of TSP matter.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

He did have a point in that some of the other regions are a bit sus, though all things considered it is best that he is gone now.

Huh, just a insight to this here.

I always knew he had some kind of desire to see this small of the NationStates world to be doused with anarchy , but I never thought he'd actually got convicted. I always saw him as the type who would filter the words out of his mouth two steps ahead of what would put him under a judge's gavel. Guess this time he finally slipped and told the truth for worst.

Despite the fact that I haven't stepped foot in the south for a while, I still observe these things. It was fortunate that he got convicted in time. Even before I came here, he was a minor infamous name. I'm surprised he hasn't done a purge yet and some of you all would agree.

Lesson learnt from this is to never go his path. Even if anyone is in the same situation he started out with that made him like this.

(03-03-2018, 08:50 AM)Malayan Singapura Wrote: Huh, just a insight to this here.

I always knew he had some kind of desire to see this small of the NationStates world to be doused with anarchy , but I never thought he'd actually got convicted. I always saw him as the type who would filter the words out of his mouth two steps ahead of what would put him under a judge's gavel. Guess this time he finally slipped and told the truth for worst.

Despite the fact that I haven't stepped foot in the south for a while, I still observe these things. It was fortunate that he got convicted in time. Even before I came here, he was a minor infamous name. I'm surprised he hasn't done a purge yet and some of you all would agree.

Lesson learnt from this is to never go his path. Even if anyone is in the same situation he started out with that made him like this.

He was hardly a minor infamous name. He was one of the largest names in NS!