We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Including off-forum areas in the Criminal Code

A lot of private discussions now happen on Discord rather than on the forums, and so are not covered by the Criminal Code if they are leaked. I think the Criminal Code should be updated to cover all areas that private information could be illegally obtained from.
Quote:1. Crimes

(3) Espionage shall be defined as an act of or attempt to obtain information that is confidential or not made publicly available for use by oneself or an entity one represents. Distribution of private information that originates on the South Pacific Forum in official South Pacific discussion areas, excluding private messages, without the express written permission of the relevant officials or institutions shall be considered Espionage.
a. The Chair of the Assembly shall be the relevant official for information from the Private Halls of the Assembly private discussions of the Assembly.
b. The Council on Regional Security shall be the relevant institution for information from private forum discussions of the Council.
c. The Cabinet shall be the relevant institution for all other private information that originates on the forum in official South Pacific discussion areas.

My one concern is that this could be a slippery slope that could lead to even further regulation of the Discord channel, with stuff like people demanding a trial for being banned from there, and such.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

I think this is important because yes we are discussing things off-forum.

I'm not sure if we need to clarify a little bit, that espionage includes sending logs to enemies or like anyone, etc. Or like I have to think about it more but slight finessing?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I don't believe that clarifying the Criminal Code to include private discord chat threads constitutes a slippery slope. For the most part the discord threads with the exception of some are all open to the public.

Support. If someone does something outside of the forums like this, it should be dealt with like anything else.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

Are there any further opinions on this? If not, I think we can motion to vote

I’d like to hear from the Discord admin team first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking for the Discord admin/mod team, in general we have no problem with this.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

What Belschaft said. Furthermore, I appreciate Tim bringing up the slippery slope issue - I think that's a legitimate concern, but after pondering, I don't think the proposed change by Nakari is in any way unreasonable or too drastic to get us started on that slope.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Alright. I motion to vote.