We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[NOTICE] Correcting Laws through Chair Discretion

Three laws this time (one of which I noticed straight after the last correction round and has been annoying me for a while >_> ). These will be presented to the Assembly to present any objections for three days before being finalized.

In the Charter of the South Pacific, fixing numbering:
Quote:VI. THE EXECUTIVE

Establishing an executive branch consisting of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet

1. The Prime Minister will be the head of government and the leader of the Cabinet. They will be responsible for the overall coordination of executive activities, being a liaison between the government and the community, and protecting the Coalition.

2. The Cabinet will consist of ministers with the following portfolios: Foreign Affairs, Regional Affairs, and Military Affairs.

3. Members of the Executive are required to hold Legislator status.

Elections

3. 4. Executive elections will be held every four months, where the Prime Minister and all Cabinet positions will be up for election.

4. 5. The date, time, and manner of elections will be set by the Assembly in a general law.

Minister of Regional Affairs

5. 6. The Minister of Regional Affairs will be responsible for promoting regional and forum activity, integrating new players into the forums, organizing cultural events, and communicating with the world about The South Pacific’s activities.

Minister of Foreign Affairs

6. 7. The Minister of Foreign Affairs will be the Coalition’s chief diplomat. They will be responsible for establishing the government’s foreign policy program, communicating with allies, and coordinating with the military on foreign policy priorities when necessary.

7. 8. The Minister of Foreign Affairs holds the sole power to initiate treaty negotiations with other regions, groups, and organizations, but may designate officers to handle those negotiations. Upon completion of a treaty negotiation, the Minister must present it to the full executive for majority approval, before submitting it to the Assembly for ratification.

8. 9. The Minister of Foreign Affairs will be responsible for establishing standards for the creation and maintenance of consulates and embassies.

Minister of Military Affairs

9. 10. The Minister of Military Affairs will be the civilian leader of the armed forces of the Coalition, the South Pacific Special Forces. In conjunction with a group of Generals, the Minister of Military Affairs will be responsible for the defense of the Coalition, building military activity, and conducting military operations.

10. 11.The Minister of Military Affairs may elect to establish an intelligence office, in equal coordination with the Council on Regional Security.

Executive Authorities

11. 12. The executive may exercise the collective authority of executive orders, by unanimous consent among the Prime Ministers and Cabinet Ministers. Executive orders may only be issued to address an immediate and pressing issue created by ambiguity or holes in a particular law, which will immediately have the effect of law. 

12. 13. Upon declaring an executive order, the order will be presented automatically to the Assembly for three days of debate, followed by a vote according to legislative rules, where it will expire and its effects be reversed if the Assembly does not incorporate it into law.

13. 14. The Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers may elect to appoint deputies and advisors, who will be considered junior members of the Cabinet, but will not have voting rights in any executive decision.

In the Legion of Honor Award Act, fixing capitalization and an unnecessary comma:
Quote:TSP Legion of Honor Award aAct 
An act to recognize service to the region in ways military, civil, and political. 

1. DEFINITIONS: 

(1) Service is to be defined as any action taken that can reasonably be seen as contributing to the betterment, or advancement of the region whether military, civil, or politically.   

Making verbs and nouns agree in number:
Quote:3. THE ISSUING AND NOMINATION PROCESS:

(4) Sitting delegates cannot award themselves the honor, and if they were to be properly nominated by one of ways listed, it would be at their predecessors discretion to confirm their nomination.

Adding an apostrophe:
Quote:5. TIME FOR PROCESS: 

(1) The time for nomination to presentation of the award shall take no more than one month's time except in the case of the nomination of the sitting delegate.

In the Holidays Act, correcting the spelling of NationStates and capitalization without reason:
Quote:1. Public Holidays

c. March 18th shall be declared Max Barry day, celebrating the Ccreator and founder of Nation States NationStates.

No objections at my end.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

I'm not quite getting what you're changing in the Legion of Honor Award Act Articles 3 and 5?

Other than that, looks good to me as well.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(05-07-2018, 09:06 AM)Roavin Wrote: I'm not quite getting what you're changing in the Legion of Honor Award Act Articles 3 and 5?

Other than that, looks good to me as well.

Article 3 I'm adding an 's' to delegate, since "delegate cannot award themselves" doesn't make much sense grammatically. Either it needs a definite article, which would make it singular and then the 'themselves' would be weird, or it can become plural.

Article 5 originally had "one months time" which should be "one month's time". I'm going to put these in lime green instead of normal green to make them more obvious, then.

Aah okay. No objections there either, thanks Smile
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Nakari the house cleaner at it again, I support the changes.
Greetings, I am The Serres Republic.

Currently 'The Future Greatest and Most Splendid General of All TSP.'

I know you all look forward to when I complete my grand quest ;P.

Official ‘Most Dedicated Raider’ in all of TSP. Look at me all evil and shtuff ;P

Heck I was MoFA, Now Im PM. I must be loved owo

You fix the plural in the Legion of Honor Act Article 3 but miss the apostrophe that’s needed in “predecessor’s” Tounge

The last line of Article 1 should match in part of speech (“military, civil, or politically”). Article 2 (1)c has an unnecessary capitalization (“...Awarded for Civil service, political service”). Article 5 should probably be “the time from nomination to presentation” instead of “for nomination to presentation”.

I’d argue that Article 3 (“sitting delegate”) makes more sense as “The sitting delegate” than as “sitting delegates”, as there can only be one sitting delegate at a time. The use of “their” in the clause is clearly singular— “their predecessor” would not make sense if it were referring to multiple delegates.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

(05-07-2018, 05:32 PM)Somyrion Wrote: You fix the plural in the Legion of Honor Act Article 3 but miss the apostrophe that’s needed in “predecessor’s” Tounge

The last line of Article 1 should match in part of speech (“military, civil, or politically”). Article 2 (1)c has an unnecessary capitalization (“...Awarded for Civil service, political service”). Article 5 should probably be “the time from nomination to presentation” instead of “for nomination to presentation”.

I’d argue that Article 3 (“sitting delegate”) makes more sense as “The sitting delegate” than as “sitting delegates”, as there can only be one sitting delegate at a time. The use of “their” in the clause is clearly singular— “their predecessor” would not make sense if it were referring to multiple delegates.

Somy you wonder Tounge I'll add these tomorrow, thanks!

No objections from me
Citizen of the South Pacific
Legislator for The South Pacific

Since the Legion of Honor act is itself changing, I'm withdrawing my fixes to that.