We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Rebeltopia likes Chairs

Rebeltopia Loves Chairs
[Image: Luxe-Seat-Rental-Thrones-Miami-Event-Rental-2017-2.png]
Its a thankless job 99.9995% of the time. But SOMEBODY has to do it...

And Ive been there, done that, got the postcard. And all when the TSP Assembly was in a MUCH worse place then it is now. I've delt with the flaming and cussing... It wasnt really any fun...
Recently, we've had some pretty good - even great - Chairs. The Assembly has also been tamed down, and there hasnt been much, if any, infighting. This is for the betterment of the Assembly and the Region at large.

As for my platform...

I'm going to live by the mantra "KISS." Keep It Simple, Stupid. When the CoA is doing their job correctly, you'll never notice them. Things will get done in a timely manor. Laws will be kept, and changes to those laws will also be kept. CoA is a no-frills job, and thats what you get with Rebeltopia as the next Chair of the Assembly of the South Pacific.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, Tim

What do you believe the role of the Chair of the Assembly should be in driving the Assembly, and how will you fulfil that role?

What do you think is the ideal relationship between the Cabinet and the Assembly?

How will you encourage legislators to stay active in the assembly, and make sure they are aware of new votes?

The pool of people engaged in Assembly discussion has admittedly been pretty small recently. What are your thoughts on this? Do you have plans to widen the pool?

If minimum debate time was over and a motion and second had been made on a draft, are there any reasons you would delay something being brought to vote?

What do you believe the role of the Chair of the Assembly should be in driving the Assembly, and how will you fulfil that role?

The Chair's job description is merely to guide the Assembly in the debate, and to make sure that the Assembly is not loosing sight of the topic at hand.
I'd be the gentle hand to help the Assembly stay on topic, and keep the most up-to-date version of the debated bill on record. If debate quiets down for a few days, I will ask where the Assembly stands regarding said bill, and hopefully that sparks the debate/motions. Im going to be a laid back CoA.

What do you think is the ideal relationship between the Cabinet and the Assembly?

The Cabinet and the Assembly have to have a very trusting relationship. The Cabinet can hide behind closed doors, and essentially keep the Assembly in the dark. This is bad for the region as a whole, but it really hinders the the Assembly's ability to work with any of the Cabinet members in a Legislator-capacity.
The Cabinet answers to the Assembly, and the Cabinet should work to keep them as informed as possible.

How will you encourage legislators to stay active in the assembly, and make sure they are aware of new votes?

Im not sure what tools past Chairs have used/kept updated. We used to have a GoogleDoc spreadsheet with an active roster. Im not sure if thats even available, or if it was kept by someone who is no longer here/active.
If there is some sort of updated/updatable roster, I will probably run with that, and use what info is there to contact Assemblymen about what they're missing out on. Maybe a TG/PM every fortnight - middle of the month to let those who havent participated know that they're in danger of loosing their status, and at the end of the month/beginning of the month to tell them they've been removed, and how to reapply.

The pool of people engaged in Assembly discussion has admittedly been pretty small recently. What are your thoughts on this? Do you have plans to widen the pool?

We always go through ebbs and flows of participation. This time of year is weird, as students are out of school, but a lot tend to go on vacations and such, which makes their online time less.
Also, we tend to have Legislators who sit back, take in the debate, then vote on where they stand. Thats not saying all the quiet Legislators do this, but there are some. Its to be expected that there are some lemmings, and thats ok.

Its not specifically the Chairs duty to add activity where there isnt any, or, more specifically to your question, bring in Legislators. With that being said, I can speak to our MoRA/Delegate/LC/etc to promote our forum-side activities within the Assembly.

If minimum debate time was over and a motion and second had been made on a draft, are there any reasons you would delay something being brought to vote?

There are situations which, a motion and second have been made, but the constructive debate isnt over (arguing round and round saying the same things over and over is NOT constructive debate) that I would ask either of the Legislators who motioned to withdraw their motion. Id probably give them 24-48 hours to reply, and go from there. This rarely happens much any more, as we're pretty civil with our debate, and we tend to fizzle out rather than throw a bill against the wall to see if it sticks.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebeltopia's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation

Anyone else have any last minute questions??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

What kind of chair will you have?

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(06-28-2018, 04:04 PM)Seraph Wrote: What kind of chair will you have?
Something comfortable, but not too flashy. I like some padding for my bony ass [emoji14]

Would you continue to use the dispatch system I suggested last term which tags players who haven't voted yet?

If not, would you use a different system to try to get participation?

Cormac did indeed start a legislator roster (although I'm not sure how up to date it is now) - how do you feel about maintaining that document and also how much warning would you give to people before removing them as legislators?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(06-28-2018, 10:32 PM)Escade Wrote: Would you continue to use the dispatch system I suggested last term which tags players who haven't voted yet?

If not, would you use a different system to try to get participation?
To me, it's not the Chair's job to babysit every legislator to make sure they're paying attention. While participation in debate is important, reminding those who haven't participated that they should vote is backwards.
As I've said, I'd most likely send out some sort of message to those who, as of the middle of the month or so, would be in danger of losing their legislatorship (If that's even a word). I'd be more apt to encourage those who are here but not actually participating to get involved. Activity comes from within before growing from the outside.

(06-28-2018, 10:32 PM)Escade Wrote: Cormac did indeed start a legislator roster (although I'm not sure how up to date it is now) - how do you feel about maintaining that document and also how much warning would you give to people before removing them as legislators?
I'd have no problem maintaining some type of roster. I think it should be kept updated between the Chair and the Legislator Committee.

Why do you like chairs?
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?
[-] The following 1 user Likes New Haudenosaunee Confederacy's post:
  • Rebeltopia

(06-29-2018, 09:25 AM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote: Why do you like chairs?
Cause chairs help me relax.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebeltopia's post:
  • Seraph