We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] Amendment to the Election Act Article 5. Office of the Chair

Quote:(2) The voting for the Chair will be conducted using Approval Voting.
a. Voters may vote for as many candidates as they approve of, or vote for none by voting to Re-Open Nominations.
b. The candidate with the highest percentage of approval will be elected.
c. Should no candidate receive at least 50% approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "elected"
 the candidates with the least number of votes shall be eliminated from the election, and a second round of voting will be conducted via First Past the Post (FPTP).

Given the recent ties in the CoA elections resulting from approval voting, I think we should consider adopting a two round voting system in the event of a tie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperial Frost Federation's post:
  • Escade

We've now had the last CoA election where Nakari won by one vote (I believe) and now this one which resulted in a tie and some interesting debates as well as results.

I do like this amendment but am also wondering if we should switch to a consistent form of voting for all elections (IRV in this case) as there are players who stated they purposefully wasted their votes and others said they had no idea how the voting or ranking mattered.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

[-] The following 2 users Like Escade's post:
  • Belschaft, Rebeltopia

Id be more for conformity across all elections (sans Delegate).
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Escade, Omega

As would I.

(07-05-2018, 07:09 PM)Escade Wrote: We've now had the last CoA election where Nakari won by one vote (I believe) and now this one which resulted in a tie and some interesting debates as well as results.

I do like this amendment but am also wondering if we should switch to a consistent form of voting for all elections (IRV in this case) as there are players who stated they purposefully wasted their votes and others said they had no idea how the voting or ranking mattered.

I'm also in favour of IRV with Full Preferential Voting.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 2 users Like The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Escade, Rebeltopia

Quote:Given the recent ties in the CoA elections resulting from approval voting, I think we should consider adopting a two round voting system in the event of a tie.

I'm not sure the proposed amendment sufficiently deals with ties.

My reading is that the proposed amended clause only relates to where there is less than 50% approval

16 voters
Candidate A 4 votes (25% approval)
Candidate B 4 votes (25% approval)
Candidate C 5 votes (31% approval)
RON 2 votes (12% approval)

As No-one made 50% RON wins, even though C got most votes.

In the case we've just had for COA 19 out of 28 (or 68% approval) voted for the tied candidates. Therefore the tie requirements fall under section 3 not section 4.

Although I would also prefer a revised way of voting. Assuming that's not easily fixed would the following way deal more appropriately with ties?

b The candidate with the highest percentage of approval will be elected. In the event of a first place tie, the tied candidates with the highest percentage of approval shall proceed to second round of voting which will be conducted via First Past the Post (FPTP).
c. Should no candidate receive at least 50% approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "elected".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Beepee's post:
  • Somyrion

Quote:b The candidate with the highest percentage of approval will be elected. In the event of a first place tie, the tied candidates with the highest percentage of approval shall proceed to second round of voting which will be conducted via First Past the Post (FPTP).
c. Should no candidate receive at least 50% approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "elected".

I find myself in agreement with Beepee's suggestion. It appears to be more logical and more expedient as it is all but certain to produce a winner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Seraph

We could just end the experiment with approval voting and go back to IRV for Chair elections....
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Escade, Tim

(07-06-2018, 05:17 AM)Belschaft Wrote: We could just end the experiment with approval voting and go back to IRV for Chair elections....

Why? How has the “experiment” failed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(07-06-2018, 05:23 AM)sandaoguo Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 05:17 AM)Belschaft Wrote: We could just end the experiment with approval voting and go back to IRV for Chair elections....

Why? How has the “experiment” failed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk  

I believe he is referring to the last CoA elections, which ended in a tie and was only resolved by @Rebeltopia dropping out.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest