We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Legislative Procedure Act Amendment

1. Legislative Rules

(6) In the event of a tied vote the Prime Minister may break the tie by voting in the Affirmative, including cases in which the Prime Minister has already casted a vote. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes islands_of_unity's post:
  • Amerion

Why?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(10-19-2018, 09:06 PM)Roavin Wrote: Why?

A tie is unlikely, but possible. I think it's a good idea to be prepared for the event, and a good idea for the chief executive to have the power to approve or pocket veto a bill that is highly contested.

A tie is already handled, though - the bill fails.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • USoVietnam

(10-19-2018, 09:15 PM)Roavin Wrote: A tie is already handled, though - the bill fails.

This opens up the possibility for a bill to be saved, and expands the executive power. I can imagine that the pocket veto ability can and will be used, but having the opportunity for the chief executive to be able to express their will in this very small and inoften occurrence is important.

(10-19-2018, 09:20 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 09:15 PM)Roavin Wrote: A tie is already handled, though - the bill fails.

This opens up the possibility for a bill to be saved, and expands the executive power. I can imagine that the pocket veto ability can and will be used, but having the opportunity for the chief executive to be able to express their will in this very small and inoften occurrence is important.

If a bill reaches such a divisive vote count, it should be sent back to the draft table. It is unnecessary to extend the power of the executive this way. If we want to, we better give them a veto power like in the US.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 2 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • Belschaft, Roavin

(10-20-2018, 12:49 AM)USoVietnam Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 09:20 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote:

If a bill reaches such as divisive vote count, it should be sent back to the draft table. It is unnecessary to extend the power of the executive this way. If we want to, we better give them a veto power like in the US. 

I think you're being sarcastic, but I unironically think that a veto power could work

(10-20-2018, 12:49 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: If a bill reaches such as divisive vote count, it should be sent back to the draft table ...

I'm inclined to agree with both Roavin and Vietnam here.

While the Legislative Procedure Act makes no mention of a tie, Section 1 (Subsection 4) stipulates that at a bare minimum, laws, treaties, and resolutions 'require a simple majority of those voting to pass.'

If the majority has not expressed its desire for a bill to be enacted into law, then it simply should progress no further.

(10-19-2018, 09:20 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote: This opens up the possibility for a bill to be saved, and expands the executive power. I can imagine that the pocket veto ability can and will be used, but having the opportunity for the chief executive to be able to express their will in this very small and inoften occurrence is important.

Given the value we place in the separation of powers, why should the Prime Minister be allowed to extend their authority in the legislature?

Nevertheless, should you proceed with this amendment, could you please edit your proposal with the following grammatical corrections?

Quote:(6) In the event of a tied vote, the Prime Minister may break the tie by voting in the Affirmative, including cases in which the Prime Minister has already cast a vote.

The issue with this is that, unlike the Speaker in the US House of Representatives or Vice President in the US Senate, the PM already has a vote.

TLDR; this isn't America, copying their procedures isn't a good idea.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Amerion, Seraph, Tsunamy, USoVietnam

(10-23-2018, 01:27 PM)Belschaft Wrote: The issue with this is that, unlike the Speaker in the US House of Representatives or Vice President in the US Senate, the PM already has a vote.

TLDR; this isn't America, copying their procedures isn't a good idea.

I mean ... even if it was ...
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 6 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Amerion, Belschaft, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Seraph, USoVietnam