We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Europe Consulate

[Image: Flag_of_Europe.svg]

Official TSP Consulate of Europe
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Somyrion's post:
  • Felis Silvestris Grampia

Hi peeps!
I'm Felis, your new ambassador from Europe
I'll do my best to keep y'all updated about what's going on in Europe, and please feel free to contact me if ye want anything from me.
I'm honoured to be serving as ambassador to here, especially since this is one of my favourite regions on NationStates.
Please also tell me if I'm doing anything wrong; I would hate to start out my time as ambassador here on the wrong paw.
Guardian of the Cheese, Destroyer of furniture, Scourge of mice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Felis Silvestris Grampia's post:
  • Somyrion

Hi Felis!

Good luck in your new role.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Beepee's post:

(12-29-2018, 06:37 PM)Beepee Wrote: Hi Felis!

Good luck in your new role.

Thankee beeps!

European Foreign Office Update 01/19

Hello All! It’s been a long time since the last EuroUpdate. About 9 months, by my count. Hopefully there won’t be that long of a delay before the next one!

This month has seen the passing of the Advisor Dismissal Act 2019, the one year anniversary of our first First Deputy Commissioner election, and the opening of Europe’s RMB to all nations in embassy regions.

Election season began this month, with our current First Deputy Commissioner, St Scarlett, announcing her intent to rerun for the position. Contrary to some more exciting elections in the past, she remained the only candidate for some days before NationStates veteran Nardin joined in the race to avoid having no election occur at all. With no official campaigns run for the election the vast majority decided to maintain the status quo and re-elected St Scarlett in a landslide victory. The two candidates in a show of good sportsmanship provided one another with one vote and remain on good terms.

The Advisor Dismissal Act 2019, proposed by Regnum Italiae and put to vote by St Scarlett, was a bill put before the European Parliament with the intent of dismissing the role of Advisor. The office was held by Forgotton Warriors. It managed to reach the quorum of 43 votes. However, after Imperium Anglorum dismissed Forgotton Warriors, EuroFounder re-appointed Forgotten Warriors to the position. When asked about this move, EuroFounder responded with “The Founder of a region is under no obligation to open regional officer appointments to a vote.” This has increased resentment by some of our members against the founder, but does not indicate in any way that the European Government is divided, and Europe remains strong regardless of the opinions and actions of the founder.

In light of a proposed event with The South Pacific, the decision has been made by the Government of Europe to allow embassy regions to post on Europe’s Regional Message Board. We hope that this will also serve to strengthen bonds between our embassy regions and ourselves, and may lead to more events with embassy regions in the future.

Speaking of The South Pacific, our embassy with them opened at the end of December, after a near-unanimous vote for its opening from the electorate of both regions.

This months update written by - Novgorod-Pskov, St Scarlett, and The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth.
  • Amerion

European Regional Update
February 2019
Regional Population: 951 WA Population: 402 (42% of the regional population) Delegate Endorsements: 327 (81% of WA population, 34% of regional population) This month has been fairly quiet in Europe. With no legislation being put forward, the only polls this month have been three opinion polls. In addition, we had the one-year anniversary of the Second Deputy Commissionership elections. This month’s first opinion poll was published by our First Deputy Commissioner, St Scarlett. It asked the question; “What is your favourite food from around the world?” Most Europeans chose Italian as their favourite, with the runner up being French. The second poll was put forward by our Second Deputy Commissioner, South St Maarten, and asked Europeans what their favourite school subject is/was. Unsurprisingly, Social Studies/History won in a massive landslide, with the runner up being Science. The third and final opinion poll was once again proposed by St Scarlett, and gave Europeans the difficult task of choosing a favourite film from 2018. Avengers: Infinity War was unsurprisingly the most popular choice, distantly followed by Bohemian Rhapsody. This month marked the one year anniversary of our first Second Deputy Commissioner election. The candidates, two of Europe’s most respected and esteemed nations, were: Yahlia and South St Maarten. Although all the candidates showed promise, South St Maarten was re-elected 42 - 28. Despite the final tally, the election was back and forth, with 4 lead changes. South St Maarten drew his core support from the [colour=blue]European Internationalist Party[/colour], which he is the chairman of. This months update written by - Feria-Alkaline, Novgorod-Pskov, South St Maarten, and The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth
[-] The following 2 users Like Felis Silvestris Grampia's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

Loved the update Heart

... sorry though, I just had to fix the formatting or I won't be able to go to bed ...

Quote:
European Regional Update
February 2019

Regional Population: 951
WA Population: 402 (42% of the regional population)
Delegate Endorsements: 327 (81% of WA population, 34% of regional population)

This month has been fairly quiet in Europe. With no legislation being put forward, the only polls this month have been three opinion polls. In addition, we had the one-year anniversary of the Second Deputy Commissionership elections.

This month’s first opinion poll was published by our First Deputy Commissioner, [Image: st_scarlett__490492t2.png]St Scarlett. It asked the question; “What is your favourite food from around the world?” Most Europeans chose Italian as their favourite, with the runner up being French. The second poll was put forward by our Second Deputy Commissioner, [Image: south_st_maarten__197690t2.jpg]South St Maarten, and asked Europeans what their favourite school subject is/was. Unsurprisingly, Social Studies/History won in a massive landslide, with the runner up being Science. The third and final opinion poll was once again proposed by [Image: st_scarlett__490492t2.png]St Scarlett, and gave Europeans the difficult task of choosing a favourite film from 2018. Avengers: Infinity War was unsurprisingly the most popular choice, distantly followed by Bohemian Rhapsody.

This month marked the one year anniversary of our first Second Deputy Commissioner election. The candidates, two of Europe’s most respected and esteemed nations, were: [Image: yahlia__120578t2.png]Yahlia and [Image: south_st_maarten__197690t2.jpg]South St Maarten. Although all the candidates showed promise, [Image: south_st_maarten__197690t2.jpg]South St Maarten was re-elected 42 - 28. Despite the final tally, the election was back and forth, with 4 lead changes. [Image: south_st_maarten__197690t2.jpg]South St Maarten drew his core support from the European Internationalist Party, which he is the chairman of.

Original copy: Click here
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:

Regional Population: 935 (-1.68%)
WA Population: 395 (-1.74%) (42.24% of the regional population)
Delegate Endorsements: 300 (-8.26%) (75.94% of the WA population)

This month has been fairly quiet in Europe. We’ve had a couple of votes, primarily concerning the Recognitions Act 2019, seeking to introduce an awards system to Europe. Although defeated on its first attempt by not reaching quorum, it looks set to now succeed, in its second attempt, by an overwhelming majority.

That brought to light the problem with the main reason for proposals being defeated being failing to reach quorum, and as such caused great debate among members of the electorate as to how this problem might be amended. Europe’s commissioners have now declared that they will see what they can do.

This month also saw the first of our quarter annual Commissioner elections, with Regnum Italiae remaining in the position, by around a one-third majority. His only opponent was Suomessa, who finished with 19 votes, compared to Regnum Italiae’s 31. The next Commissioner elections are scheduled for June.

This month’s update written by: Novgorod-Pskov and The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth

Regional Population: 934 (+0.00%)
WA Population: 370 (-1.33%) (41.1% of the regional population)
Delegate Endorsements: 298 (-0.66%) (78.9% of the WA population)

Europe has had another fairly quiet couple of months, with the region running smoothly. Little out of the ordinary has happened, leading to us providing you with a relatively short report.

This month, the electors of Europe voted on which nation to appoint to the post of First Deputy Commissioner. Three nations entered: the incumbent, St Scarlett; a long-time RMB regular, Rivierenland, and Of Herbshire. St Scarlett won once again, commencing her third consecutive term as First Deputy Commissioner.

The “Member of the Order of Europe” award was received by Laver Island on the 18th of June, to recognise his various contributions, past and present, to Europe. The award, the first of its kind, was granted after a unanimous decision from the Commissionership.

This month’s update written by - Novgorod-Pskov and The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth

A lovely invitation brought to you courtesy of Feria, head of the European Home Office

[centre][Image: header-home-office.png][/centre]

Heya everyone! I'm Feria-Alkaline, Europe's Home Secretary, and I'm proud to share with all of you an idea that's been bouncing around my head for a long time now: the Euro-Interregional Writing Contest!

Let me first explain the premises of this competition. I'm looking for short stories only for this first (and hopefully not last, depending on how well it turns out) competition. Why? Well, partially because it's a good jumping-off point to later being able to judge more types of writing, such as poetry, and also because short stories are something we're all familiar with.

Now, why am I calling it Euro-Interregional? Good question! The contest will have two tracks: one group will be for Europeans and another for non-Europeans, or Interregionals. The panel of judges (comprised of myself, Novgorod-Pskov, and Dizgovzy) will judge each batch separately, choosing a winner and two runners-up from each group, and then we'll pit winner versus winner in a 2-day blinded poll, where native WA residents of Europe will decide which piece (the European or non-European) is better. Note - I know this isn't a perfect solution, especially since we'd love to have Interregional votes as well; however, this is one of the fairest methods that can be created on short notice. If you do have any better ideas on how to conduct the final poll, drop a TG in my inbox. If it's an effective and fast one, I might use it.

The theme of this contest is Pandemic. Yes, I know, covid-19 sucks and we all have enough of it. But I don't want covid-19 pieces. Be creative with it! For example, perhaps the pandemic is a virus that turns people's hair into cotton candy, and your piece is a briefing on how, despite the fact that you have cotton candy hair, you should refrain from eating it since it'll increase your risk of diabetes. Don't take that idea, of course, but make your own.

So I wrote my piece. Now what?
Send it to Imperium Anglorum with a disclaimer at the beginning that it's for this writing contest as well as whether you're a European or an Interregional submitter. Ideally, a Google Document would be best, but any way that can be easily copied and pasted into a mega-document for judging is okay.

Some basic rules:
  • Stick to the theme. If your submission has nothing to do with the theme, it will be disqualified.
  • Keep it PG-13 - remember, minors use this site too. If you wouldn't show your writing to your seven-year-old nephew, don't send it in here.
  • No word limit. That being said, don't submit an entire book to the competition. Keep it reasonable.
  • No plagiarism. Plagiarism results in automatic disqualification and possible bans from future competitions.
  • One submission per person. As much as we'd love to read fifteen stories from you... well, we don't have the time. Pick your best idea and nurture it instead.
  • Don't trash others. If you include other NationStates players in your story, make sure they consent to how they're portrayed.
  • Don't spoil it! You'll be sending your submissions in a telegram to Imperium Anglorum, who will blind them before passing them on to the judges. We ask that you don't tell others which submission is yours until the results of the competition are released due to the voting phase at the end of the contest - if people know who penned the pieces, bias might color the vote.

When's the closing date for submissions? Since the contest is officially kicking off on May 11, 2020 (EDT), your submissions will be due by May 26, 2020, 11:59 PM EDT. Unfortunately, we can't grant any extensions to the timeframe. Results should be released around June 1st, but they may come earlier or later, depending on the amount of entries we receive.

How will this be scored?
The panel of judges (Novgorod-Pskov, Dizgovzy and myself) will each rate your entries on a 1-to-10 scale on five characteristics, which will be averaged out into one final score. If there is a tie, we'll vote on which piece we preferred.

The characteristics are:
  • Creativity: 30% (Again, cotton candy hair pandemic. Even the way you write can be creative!)
  • Engagement: 30% (Do I want to read THIS story to the end out of the pile I have, or will I pass? Are the characters interesting? Setting? Plot?)
  • Realism: 20% (I don't mean how realistic the pandemic or anything else is - I mean how realistic the characters and writing are. If the characters seem fake or fabricated, lower points; if they act like real people would, higher points.)
  • Succinctness: 10% (Make every word count! We're not here to read 15 pages of prose on ants if it's not useful. Chekhov's gun! Remember Hemingway's For sale: baby shoes, never worn.)
  • Voice: 10% (Is this something any random person could write, or is this uniquely yours?)

As said, the competition will be divided into European entries and Interregional entries. So, who's a European and who isn't? This is actually a more complicated question than you'd expect, so I'll try to simplify it as much as I can.

If you:
  • have a World Assembly nation in Europe
    • or have been granted any of the Orders of Europe
      • or have no World Assembly nation, but your main nation is located in Europe – or are a member of the Europe-Game forum

You are a European. If you do not fulfill any of these criteria, you are an Interregional, for purposes of submission. If you're confused about these rules, telegram me with your situation and I'll sort it out.

I have another question! Telegram me, Feria-Alkaline, with any and all queries.

I hope to see as many submissions as we can get! Be creative, be bold, and don't be afraid to write your heart out!
  • Omega