We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com)

Quote:
Regional Communications Act

An act clarifying proper communication by government officials
1. Scope

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region using Regional Officer powers
b. Dispatches pinned to the regional World Factbook Entry
c. Changes to the regional World Factbook Entry
d. Any other form of communication, apart from the Regional Message Board, that is directly visible on the NationStates website by the in-game region at large.

(2) Any individualgovernment official capable of engaging in mass communication with the region as described above shall be subject to the regulations contained herein.

2. Mass Communication

(1) Communications to the region shall be
a. respectful
b. honest
c. restrained to a reasonable frequency of notifications
d. neutral with respect to political ideology or debate

(2) Communications to the region shall not
a. mislead the public
b. attack or otherwise diminish other officials
c. attack or otherwise diminish The South Pacific or her allies
d. deliberately influence a regional election in favour of or against specific candidates
d.e. directly or indirectly threaten the security apparatus of the South Pacific or her allies

(3) The Delegate may, at their discretion, enact further restrictions, guidelines, or approval processes on the use of mass communications.

(4) The Council on Regional Security may temporarily suspend the provisions contained herein for themselves or any duly chosen surrogates for purposes of regional security.

3. Infractions

(1) Infractions may be brought before the High Court in a court case. For the duration of the court proceedings, the Delegate may suspend the mass communication capabilities of the accused.     
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Amerion

I'm principally supportive of this idea, though I'd lay it out a bit more explicit. Something like "deliberately influence a regional election in favor of specific candidates", maybe?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • The Sakhalinsk Empire

On first reading, I saw this as a response to the most recent Local Council Elections. It might not be, but I don't think we've had a problem with government officials trying to influence an election. (Nothing wrong with being pro-active, but that just seems like a clear impetus for the change.) So I am not sure whether you intend this to apply to all people, or just government officials.

I think the Regional Communications Act may need some clarification itself. The description of the act is "An act clarifying proper communication by government officials", and forbids "attacking other officials". The scope covers "Mass Telegrams to the region", which, in conjunction with the government officials, and the fact that the CRS can take the power to communicate away, I take to mean mass telegrams as issued by people with Communications powers. I've read through the original creation of this law and it seems to be purely about government officials, whether they use RO-granted mass communication or otherwise. Private individuals using stamps and scripts to telegram the region were barely mentioned in the original discussion (and would individual yet identical telegrams still count as mass communications, seeing as they serve the same purpose, just take a bit more effort?). So if we are going to include private individuals, we need to clarify that, clarify then what counts, and clarify how and if private individuals would be punished or prevented.

If this amendment is intended just to be about government officials, all is good. If it's intended to cover both public and private, then either the RCA needs to be clearly about both public and private, or this should be in a different act.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(01-20-2019, 07:34 AM)Nakari Wrote: On first reading, I saw this as a response to the most recent Local Council Elections. It might not be, but I don't think we've had a problem with government officials trying to influence an election. (Nothing wrong with being pro-active, but that just seems like a clear impetus for the change.) So I am not sure whether you intend this to apply to all people, or just government officials.

I think the Regional Communications Act may need some clarification itself. The description of the act is "An act clarifying proper communication by government officials", and forbids "attacking other officials". The scope covers "Mass Telegrams to the region", which, in conjunction with the government officials, and the fact that the CRS can take the power to communicate away, I take to mean mass telegrams as issued by people with Communications powers. I've read through the original creation of this law and it seems to be purely about government officials, whether they use RO-granted mass communication or otherwise. Private individuals using stamps and scripts to telegram the region were barely mentioned in the original discussion (and would individual yet identical telegrams still count as mass communications, seeing as they serve the same purpose, just take a bit more effort?). So if we are going to include private individuals, we need to clarify that, clarify then what counts, and clarify how and if private individuals would be punished or prevented.

If this amendment is intended just to be about government officials, all is good. If it's intended to cover both public and private, then either the RCA needs to be clearly about both public and private, or this should be in a different act.

Interesting point. I'll see if I can add more amendments.
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

I tried. The forum formatting truly hurts
Quote:
Regional Communications Act

An act clarifying proper communication by government officials
1. Scope

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region, either through purchasable telegram stamps or by regional power
b. Dispatches pinned to the regional World Factbook Entry
c. Changes to the regional World Factbook Entry
d. Any other form of communication, apart from the Regional Message Board, that is directly visible on the NationStates website by the in-game region at large.

(2) Any individual capable of engaging in mass communication with the region as described above shall be subject to the regulations contained herein.

2. Mass Communication

(1) Communications to the region shall be
a. respectful
b. honest
c. restrained to a reasonable frequency of notifications
d. neutral with respect to political ideology or debate

(2) Communications to the region shall not
a. mislead the public
b. attack or otherwise diminish other officials
c. attack or otherwise diminish The South Pacific or her allies
d. deliberately influence a regional election in favour of specific candidates
d. e. directly or indirectly threaten the security apparatus of the South Pacific or her allies

(3) The Delegate may, at their discretion, enact further restrictions, guidelines, or approval processes on the use of mass communications.

(4) The Council on Regional Security may temporarily suspend the provisions contained herein for themselves or any duly chosen surrogates for purposes of regional security.

3. Infractions

(1) Infractions may be brought before the High Court in a court case. For the duration of the court proceedings, the Delegate may suspend the mass communication capabilities of the accused.

(2) In the case that the accused has committed the infractions through abuse of regional power, the Delegate may choose to revoke the individual's regional Communications power after the Cabinet agrees with a 2/3rds vote.

(3) In the case that the accused has committed the infractions through usage of telegram stamps, either the Delegate or Council on Regional Security may choose to ban the individual from the region.

Uh...what? The Delegate could choose to simply ban someone from the region?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Awe

I have a problem with your vote threshold for the cabinet decision. The cabinet is a group of four people, so a 2/3rds vote threshold seem rather odd. Granted, we might choose to have a larger cabinet some day, but I can't see us ever having one so large that a simple majority wouldn't achieve the same effect.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(01-20-2019, 09:17 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Uh...what? The Delegate could choose to simply ban someone from the region?

I understand that problem, but I don't really know how to phrase it well. Something along the lines of "The Delegate or CRS may convene with the Cabinet to hold a vote to ban the individual"?
(01-20-2019, 11:13 AM)Seraph Wrote: I have a problem with your vote threshold for the cabinet decision. The cabinet is a group of four people, so a 2/3rds vote threshold seem rather odd. Granted, we might choose to have a larger cabinet some day, but I can't see us ever having one so large that a simple majority wouldn't achieve the same effect.

1/2 majority isn't quite enough, but maybe it'll work. Do you have any more suggestions?

I don’t understand why you’re empowering a security institutions to make decisions on behalf of the High Court. It is the Court’s responsibility to impose sentences for the commission of crimes and infractions.

Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Belschaft, Imperial Frost Federation

I don’t think it’s appropriate to expand regulations on use of government communications via the RO function to cover private communications by individuals. You might find it objectionable to have people send mass TG’s during elections, but it is a legitimate form of free speech that anyone can access.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Divine Owl, Rebeltopia, Roavin, sandaoguo, Seraph