We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Islands for Unity

Island for Unity

It is funny that I stand before you today, asking for your support: A legislator known for failure and division asking for success and unity would under other circumstances point to the potential for broken promises and a waste of time.

This time is different.

It is a time for magnanimity and unity, a time for redemption and hope.

I am sure that we all know that my failures here outweigh my successes, and that this isn't the case for all of us- I am sure we all are aware of the Roavlands scandal and its effects on the community. I very much want things to be different, here in tsp and in my own actions, with that in mind I would like to lay out the three key differences I would like to follow for the rest of my career here:

Forgiveness, Understanding, and Cooperation.

Now I am going to talk about the things I'm not going to do:

I'm not going to talk about my history here in the Regional Affairs Ministry; I am going to talk about the future of it.
I'm not going to talk about serres and beepee's mistakes; I am going to talk about my own, and how I plan to fix them.
I'm not going to talk about what is wrong here in TSP; I am going to talk about what's right.
I'm not gonna talk about the establishment; I am going to talk about us all.
I'm not going to divide; I am going to unite.

This is a time for redemption. This is a part of my redemption. I would like us all to think of redemption in the coming days: now, during voting, and after the election. As part of redemption I would like to tell you one more thing I won't be doing: DM campaigning. That part of my career here is done for now, if I am voted for in this election then it is due to redemption.

I have specifc plans for three parts of the Ministry: Integration, Art, and Journalism. 

Integration: I plan to train and manage ministry staff in direct message campaigning for the use of integrating both gameside users to the forum/discord side, and gameside/forumside/discordside users into the assembly. This will be my main foucus. Project would begin instantly and would be on going. DM training taking 1-2 days.

Art: My Regional Awards program would be another foucus during the term. I would instantly begin proccessing the project by listing out awards to be created for use in the program collabrativley with the cabinet ministers both in going and outgoing in this term, this should be complete in a few days to a week. I would then ask the Art ministry staff to create their design visions for these awards and choose the ones that work best, this should take around another week to 2 weeks depending on staff number. I would then promote and introduce the project to the region, taking about half a week to a week depending on promotion time. Project time total: 13 days-28 days.

Journalism: I would end the practice of asking for articles in the privacy of the MoRA office. Discussion will be open and public and submissions will also be open and public. My goal is that each publication of our regional newpaper take 3 weeks to make and publish, consisting of a week of open calls, a week of writing and editing, and a week of hyping the next article up and submiting it. This would lead to several publications during my term. 

The other stuff (Events and Roleplay): Roleplay is something i plan on delegating to the most willing roleplayers in the region. Events on the other hand is something i hope to hit the ground running with, although i dont have any plans for any specific events. I would be open to public submissions for event ideas and exploring doing events related to both real and regional holidays. 

How i plan to keep my schedule: In order to garner support and confidence as well as keep the ministry running smoothly i will be working on projects according to a rough time estimate. In order to make these time estimates very important i will be holding my office on the line: If i were to miss a deadline i would hold a private assembly tally on if i should remain in office. If that vote fails i will resign

Outside of the ministry: I plan on using legislative and executive cabinet powers to usher in election reform, including polling on the state of elections and seeking fixes to the percieved problems.

What's my hype song for this election?: Past Lives by Borns (This was my hype song during the delegate election too! Listen to it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)
[-] The following 4 users Like islands_of_unity's post:
  • Amerion, Felis Silvestris Grampia, Poppy, The Serres Republic

Quote:Outside of the ministry: I plan on using legislative and executive cabinet powers to usher in election reform, including polling on the state of elections and seeking fixes to the percieved problems.

The powers of the Minister of Regional Affairs do not extend to what you are describing. You could, of course, propose these reforms as a Legislator but you do not need to be elected as a Minister to do so.

Regardless, could you please elaborate on what exactly you mean by election reform and 'perceived problems'?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Poppy

(02-05-2019, 11:34 PM)Amerion Wrote:
Quote:Outside of the ministry: I plan on using legislative and executive cabinet powers to usher in election reform, including polling on the state of elections and seeking fixes to the percieved problems.

The powers of the Minister of Regional Affairs do not extend to what you are describing. You could, of course, propose these reforms as a Legislator but you do not need to be elected as a Minister to do so.

Regardless, could you please elaborate on what exactly you mean by election reform and 'perceived problems'?

These would be outside of ministry foucuses, using my power as a legislator and my power to enter executive order suggestions to the cabinet as a whole. There can be some changes to elections here to make them more democratic, including two round voting. There are of course some things wrong here that I haven't thought of yet, so it is needed for the voice of the people to weigh in there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes islands_of_unity's post:
  • Poppy

(02-05-2019, 11:51 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote: These would be outside of ministry foucuses, using my power as a legislator and my power to enter executive order suggestions to the cabinet as a whole. There can be some changes to elections here to make them more democratic, including two round voting. There are of course some things wrong here that I haven't thought of yet, so it is needed for the voice of the people to weigh in there.

Two round voting? Like our Delegate elections?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Poppy

(02-05-2019, 11:53 PM)Amerion Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 11:51 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote: These would be outside of ministry foucuses, using my power as a legislator and my power to enter executive order suggestions to the cabinet as a whole. There can be some changes to elections here to make them more democratic, including two round voting. There are of course some things wrong here that I haven't thought of yet, so it is needed for the voice of the people to weigh in there.

Two round voting? Like our Delegate elections?

Yes, it's a good system and it works. The executive should for sure be voted in in this way, other cabinet positions I would have to look at more closely.
[-] The following 2 users Like islands_of_unity's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

- How will you handle the current dispatch project and its future?
- How will you improve the retention of new members in the executive and legislative branch?
- Is there any interregional MoRA event you would like to do?
- How will you communicate with the Local Council about RA matters?
- How will you train new RA members into future leaders?
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 4 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Rebeltopia, The Sakhalinsk Empire

@islands_of_unity — Your campaign does not seem to contain a Conflict of Interest Disclosure. Please post on before voting begins or you will not be included on the ballot.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 3 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, The Sakhalinsk Empire

Current WA nation: Islands of Unity
All current and previous aliases: N/A
Current active regions/organizations and roles: The South Pacific, Legislator in TSP Assembly. 
Past regions/organizations: Cant fully recall. Was previously a legislator in the North Pacific.
  • Tsunamy

(02-06-2019, 06:49 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: - How will you handle the current dispatch project and its future?
- How will you improve the retention of new members in the executive and legislative branch?
- Is there any interregional MoRA event you would like to do?
- How will you communicate with the Local Council about RA matters?
- How will you train new RA members into future leaders?

1. By putting people (like yourself) in a leadership role in its creation. The dispatch program certainly does need some updating, and it is something that can happen very eaisly. 

2. By making them feel welcomed! The more an individual feels like a part of the group, the more likely they are to stay here. 

3. Maybe something for april fools, but other than that i dont have many concrete plans. There is need for some type of event, but to what extent and the exact details i dont know yet. 

4. I would have LC members in my advisory council to start, and i would also work with them on different projects as needed.

5. By giving them the tools they need in order to succeed. Working on regional projects will inspire them with confidence to be the best they can be, while also teaching them how nationstates events here work.
  • Poppy