We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

(SPT) The Tribune to close

[Image: DHgyERr.png]

The Truth. Always.

[Image: pTyCJd5.png] ABOUT THE TRIBUNE

The Tribune is an independently run newspaper published in The South Pacific. Available in weekly dispatches and monthly papers, the newspaper aims to be the authoritative news source for all Islanders.

[Image: OpehMfH.png] AUDIENCE AND DISTRIBUTION

The target audience for the Tribune is TSP citizens. Tribune Co. will defer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as to potential future interregional distribution.

[Image: 1pv2Zmn.png] FREQUENCY AND TIMELINE

The Tribune Weekly will be published once a week, every Sunday. The inaugural Weekly edition will go live on Sunday, the 24th of February.

The Tribune Paper will be published on the first of every month. The inaugural Paper will begin circulation on the 1st of April.

[Image: a988IpM.png] CONTENT

The content of the Tribune is categorised into three sections:

(1) Politics
(2) Culture
(3) Opinion

[Image: gMdoosZ.png] WRITERS AND AUTHORSHIP

There are no writers. The words magically appear on paper.

[-] The following 5 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Beepee, Bzerneleg, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin

[Image: YLtgt2m.png]

[ POST #1 RESERVED ]

[Image: StvoYod.png]
Sandaoguo Resigns from the High Court

Courts & Law
February 21, 2019

HIGH COURT, FUDGETOPIA GOVERNMENT CENTRE — Associate Justice Sandaoguo today resigned from the bench to take up his recently elected position as Minister of Foreign Affairs. In a statement posted in the High Court, the Associate Justice wrote:

'I hereby resign from my position on the Court, effective immediately, due to my election as Minister of Foreign Affairs. It’s been a pleasure serving!'

Sandaoguo served on the Court for 8 months and 30 days (275 days). He was confirmed by the Assembly by a margin of 23 to 1 on the 22nd of May 2018, and took his Oath of Confidentiality and Impartiality later that day.

The long-time TSP native was nominated and confirmed alongside his occasional political sparring partner Belschaft. The two Associate Justices were the first to serve in their offices with the Court having previously been comprised of a singular Permanent Justice and a Pool of Justices. The regional judicial system was later expanded to include Associate Justices after the Assembly passed a Court Reform package which reconstituted the judiciary.

In a statement released by the High Court, Chief Justice Kris Kringle praised the former Associate Justice:

'Justice Sandaoguo submitted today his resignation from the High Court, in response to his recent election as Minister of Foreign Affairs. In his time on the bench he has been an outstanding legal mind, helping interpret the law to the best of his ability, delivering equal justice and legal clarity to the region, and helping redefine the role of the judiciary for our modern regional society. The Court wishes him the very best in his future endeavours, both immediate and long-term.'

Justice Sandaoguo's resignation provides Prime Minister Roavin with his first opportunity to name a High Court Justice since he last nominated Sandaoguo and Belschaft in his previous term as Prime Minister. Their respective nomination processes were surprisingly long, taking just under two months to be completed. The new vacancy on the Court may lead to an even longer period of uncertainty due to the lack of frontrunners. Speaking to the Tribune, the Prime Minister had this to say:

'Sandaoguo's resignation is quite a loss for the court, given his judicial acumen. His replacement will certainly have large shoes to fill ... [As] Sandaoguo had announced his intent to resign during the campaign period ... we begun discussing the nomination process even during the transition period and are working closely with Chief Justice Kringalia to find a suitable nomination with all due speed. We will have a further announcement on the nomination process in the coming days.'

[Image: cAhxkek.png] [Image: pDCs0WJ.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

[Image: h7PKjmu.png]

Weekly News
February 17-24, 2019

ELECTION FOR CHAIR TO COMMENCE SHORTLY

The Assembly will soon once again convene for the election of Chair. The position is the principal office in the Assembly and they perform a role similar to that of a Cabinet Minister in a government ministry. The Chair presides over the legislative process and is responsible for maintaining order and decorum, helping guide Assembly debate into the creation of bills, creating voting threads. and recording votes.

The incumbent, @Amerion, has signalled for the past month his desire to step back from official duties. "While I have enjoyed my time as Chair tremendously, I am raring to return to the private sector and tend to some personal projects I have long had in the pipeline," the Chair said. "However, I will miss interacting with Legislators a great deal but am supremely confident that my successor will continue and improve on the good work the Office of Assembly Affairs has done this past four months."

It is thought that current Deputy Chair @Bzerneleg will contest the election, with his press office having recently released a statement on his intentions:

"Although I have not made a decision on this, I am giving it very serious consideration. But all I can tell you is that I love the Assembly with all my heart. Honestly, I can't talk about my time in TSP without talking about this legislature and the wonderful people I work with. So, from now up until the nomination process of the election, I will be considering a run and will be making an official statement soon. Stay tuned!"

Should he run, the first-term Deputy will become a frontrunner in the race. A recent poll conducted by the Office of Assembly Affairs reveals strong support for the potential contender, scoring him second only to the current Chair.

The election is slated to begin on the 24th of February.

POTENTIAL RISE IN ENDORSEMENT CAP

The World Assembly endorsement cap may be increased in the coming week. Currently set at 350, the cap is a limit on how many endorsements a nation in the South Pacific is legally allowed to have. A nation's endorsement count should not be higher than the limit. This restriction acts as a security measure to prevent nations from having too many endorsements and being in the danger zone of pulling a coup.

"We have enough CRS endorsements for the cap lift to 400. Only wait for the delegate to satisfy the requirement (hitting 650)," said @USoVietnam, coordinator of the Southern World Assembly Initiative (SWAN). "We will become the GCR with the second highest cap in NationStates if that happens."

A rise in the endorsement cap will be the first since September 2018 and will continue the upward trend since the implementation of SWAN.

MOMA NAKARI BEGINS TERM WITH A STRONG START

Barely settled into her office, newly elected Minister of Military Affairs @Nakari has begun on a strong foot. In a weekly update distributed on the South Pacific's Discord server (#Military Affairs), the Minister had this to report:

SPSF Weekly Report #1 (14/02 - 21/02)

Transition week. We started working on a new guide project, did a few chase defences, and liberated Yorkshire, a region so old it has never had a founder. We also worked with ANTIFA to liberate a region raided by Nazis - over 30 jumpers were involved, with a pile of more than 60 endorsements. A good start I think.

Members involved: @Nakari, @Kurnugia, @Roavin, @Bzerneleg, @Ryccia, and @'South Asians'.
Friendly forces worked with: TGW, TITO, ANTIFA (many regions working together, such as our ally the NPA)

Defences:
The Belyeet Pact
Animal House
Homelands

Liberations:
Yorkshire
The Empire of Lights

Piles:
The Empire of Lights

In her campaign, Nakari pledged to commit to regular military operations as a way of improving the overall capabilities of the South Pacific Special Forces. "We need to flex our R/D muscles, or they’ll grow weak and out of practice when we need them," the then-candidate argued. "So I will try and organize run-style operations at least once a week, along with our traditional policy of always being able to nip into collaborative operations when they’re available."

[-] The following 6 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Nakari, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Volaworand

[Image: 4fnzvbf.png]
The Tribune to close

Tribune administration
March 6, 2019

THE SOUTH PACIFIC TRIBUNE HEADQUARTERS, LAMPSHADE DISTRICT — After fourteen days in operation, the Tribune is shutting down its presses. The decision was finalised on Tuesday by Managing Editor Amerion in a staff meeting (of one). Speaking to reporters afterwards, Amerion, who also serves as publisher, said:

The Tribune was founded with the intention of being the premier news outlet in the South Pacific. It has always been our desire to represent the views and interests of Islanders and disseminate information to all of the Pacifics. As we began to review the aims of the new Minister of Regional Affairs, we came to the conclusion that our efforts would be better utilised working within the Ministry on a regional paper rather than competing with it and potentially diluting the quality of both operations. We look forward to beginning a new chapter in journalism in the Coalition.

The move comes as interregional news organisations The Northern Lights and NationStates Today have steadily expanded their circulation and diversified into interregional news and current affairs. The improved quality of these publications posed a threat to the distribution of the Tribune and the decision to fold the paper to work with the Ministry of Regional Affairs of the South Pacific is seen by analysts as a strategic move by the paper's owners to capitalise on the significant resources and reach of a government department.

The paper is expected to officially close on Thursday, March 7 2019.

[-] The following 3 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Beepee, Bzerneleg, Poppy