We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] RMB as a place for answering questions

While this discussion is probably not wholly suitable for forum-side, I do think it's something we can at least talk about in meta terms and get more RMBers involved.

A while back, there was this exchange on Discord:

Quote:[5:04 PM] Seraph: A problem I've noticed with the current activity on the RMB. Nations posting a query maybe once in the midst of a string of hugs or stabbings or transmogrifications, often don't get their query answered. The RMB is becoming oddly exclusive.
[5:09 PM] idontevenknowanymore: ^^^
[5:16 PM] glen, queen mother: That’s been the central downside of the RMB when it comes to communicating with newbies. It’s like trying to have a serious discussion in the YouTube comments section. But if you take away all the “hugs and stabbings,” what RMB activity is left? Or... is the RMB meant for that, and there needs to be a different way to ask questions?
[5:38 PM] Seraph: The thing is, the RMB is always going to be where some go for answers (there are, of course, those who never discover it exists), so my question would be more like, 'if we focus on other means of communication for newcomers do we consider those few who will inevitably just get forgotten on the RMB to be an acceptable loss to the system?'
That's not meant to be a jibe, but a genuine question. The answer might be yes.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Poppy

Honestly, in my opinion, TSP roleplay died when Tech CTE. The Local Council next term really need to focus on trying to make the rmb more appealing and more easier understood for new members,
Concrete Slab
Coral Guard Member
5x Local Councillor 
TSP Legislator and Citizen
Ambassador to the League 
Author of GAR #471, #479, and SCR #271
Co-author of SCR #300
Founded 1/25/18
[-] The following 4 users Like Concrete Slab's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

*peeks into the forums*
(02-22-2019, 02:45 AM)Concrete Slab Wrote: Honestly, in my opinion, TSP roleplay died when Tech CTE. The Local Council next term really need to focus on trying to make the rmb more appealing and more easier understood for new members
It kinda died with Techo's nation but not really. It's still probably the majority of the RMB. I answer questions from new nations when I see them, which I usually do considering I read quite literally everything.
EDIT: So what we need is kinda unclear. People definitely notice new nations, but if you're saying questions aren't noticed then we would really just need them to be noticed more, or is that easier said then done?
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?
[-] The following 1 user Likes New Haudenosaunee Confederacy's post:
  • Poppy

(02-22-2019, 09:22 AM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote: *peeks into the forums*
(02-22-2019, 02:45 AM)Concrete Slab Wrote: Honestly, in my opinion, TSP roleplay died when Tech CTE. The Local Council next term really need to focus on trying to make the rmb more appealing and more easier understood for new members
It kinda died with Techo's nation but not really. It's still probably the majority of the RMB. I answer questions from new nations when I see them, which I usually do considering I read quite literally everything.
EDIT: So what we need is kinda unclear. People definitely notice new nations, but if you're saying questions aren't noticed then we would really just need them to be noticed more, or is that easier said then done? 

I agree with you, it's just the roleplay we have now is pretty abrasive from a new nation's persepective.
Concrete Slab
Coral Guard Member
5x Local Councillor 
TSP Legislator and Citizen
Ambassador to the League 
Author of GAR #471, #479, and SCR #271
Co-author of SCR #300
Founded 1/25/18
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concrete Slab's post:
  • Poppy

I mean, sure it's pretty weird, especially since I was never a big fan of roleplay, but it's what the current nations want to do. It might not seem as appealing as it was before to you guys but obviously it's still appealing to a lot of people otherwise it wouldn't still be a majority of the rmb. As to making it more accessible to new players, maybe the people who don't roleplay nowdays as often but still are online a lot can try to strike up conversation with new nations more when they appear. Also we probably should give the noobs guides when they appear that aren't super overwhelming. Sure, a guide that includes everything they might need is nice, but it isn't exactly the best thing for someone checking out ns for the first time, it could very likely just scare them away. 

Those are just my thoughts on the subject though, take 'em or leave 'em :p
Nation: 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121
I'm more active gameside than here but either place I'd love to talk ^-^
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poppy's post:
  • Amerion

It's not too difficult to find newbies in the RMB. If your patient like NHC go through every post.

In the past we've done the full suite of dispatches and some newbies got scared. Saying it was too much.

Some just got the basics and they then didn't really do anything with them.

As long as there's a decent LC, together with the del and I can field questions. Further there's great nations such as NHC, auphs, si, TSSS etc who answer such questions when then come up.

I would like an easy to hand out guide though!
[-] The following 2 users Like Beepee's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

A comprehensive guide which abstracts a lot of unnecessary information with links to other stuff for more information is in the work as part of the dispatch project. So in the future, the LC only needs to send that dispatch to new nations.

Also, for the questions go unanswered problem, just add a line on the WFE that tells people to send questions over telegrams to government officials.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 2 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

(02-23-2019, 08:56 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: Also, for the questions go unanswered problem, just add a line on the WFE that tells people to send questions over telegrams to government officials.

Should say specifically to the delegate or local council. Cabinet ministers aren't always the most active in game...
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

(02-23-2019, 08:56 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: Also, for the questions go unanswered problem, just add a line on the WFE that tells people to send questions over telegrams to government officials.
Great idea, but would people notice that?
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?
[-] The following 1 user Likes New Haudenosaunee Confederacy's post:
  • Poppy

(02-23-2019, 10:11 AM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote:
Great idea, but would people notice that?

People don't read the WFE? :o

We could also pin a dispatch to the top. Would that be better than a line in the WFE?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Poppy