We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[1906] Withholding Evidence and Contempt of Court

Withholding Evidence and Contempt of Court

Docket File Number: 1906

Submitter: Islands of Unity

Date of Submission: 17 February 2019

Case Type: Legal Question

Question:
  • If evidence is withheld by a legislator that later leads to an indictment in a crimminal case, has that legislator committed contempt of court?
  • Should legislators be made to disclose any evidence of crimminal activity in the region that they come accross?
  • If question 2 is awnsered in the affirmative, what timeline should disclosure of crimminal activity follow?
Case Link: http://tspforums.xyz/thread-6886.html
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Discussion on the Determination of Justiciability
Source: Group Chat of the High Court

Kringle [20/02/2019]
@Belschaft: Thoughts on Islands’s other questions?
My personal opinion is that they are either non-justiciable or too political to answer.

Belschaft [20/02/2019]
I think 2 is impossible to answer in general, as it would depend on specific circumstances - it’s essentially asking “Does behaviour X equal crime Y” but that’s it something we can answer.
I’m not sure that 3 is a matter for the court.
In the absence of any specific legal reference it definitely isn’t.
He needs to demonstrate some legal basis why that might be the case as far as I’m concerned.
In general I’d say refuse them for lack of specific reference to what part of the law he’s querying.

Kringle [20/02/2019]
nods
We are in agreement then.

Belschaft [20/02/2019]
Indeed
Like normal

Kringle [20/02/2019]
Ha.
Great minds think alike.

Belschaft [20/02/2019]
That’s one way of describing it

Kringle [20/02/2019]
“Minds who’ve spent a fair amount of time in TSP and are now interpreting TSP law can think alike”.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

CASE DISMISSED
See here for more information

Legal Resources: