We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Gameside elections act discussion

Currently gameside LC elections are govered by the 2 year old LC Elections Laws found at https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=815384

This is a very different law from the Forum side Elections Act which governs all other government positions.

These differences have given rise to numerous court complaints and Legal Questions, namely:
HCRR1804 Review of the Certification of the November 2018 Local Council Election 
http://tspforums.xyz/thread-6620.html

[CC] [1907] Concrete Slab v. New Haudenosaunee Confederacy
http://tspforums.xyz/thread-6929.html

[LQ] [1912] Identity Theft and Concealed Identities
http://tspforums.xyz/thread-6986.html

These differences in the game side election law and the apparent loophole this leaves in LC elections prompted me to post a poll to have gameside formally adopt the forumside Elections Act. 
Should the Election Commission have jurisdiction to settle Local Council election-related disputes by the Local Council formally adopting the forum side Elections Act?In Cabinet, Assembly, and Delegate elections, regulated under the Elections Act, the Election Commission is empowered with original jurisdiction over election-related disputes (Article 1.5). This provision does not exist within the Local Councils Elections Law, which only tasks the Election Commission with organizing the technical aspects of elections. Should the Local Council pass a law accepting the jurisdiction of the forum side Elections Act (found at http://tspforums.xyz/thread-4112.html) over Local Council Elections?This poll posted here:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=poll/p=139171

This region chose overwhelming to not just reject extending the forum side Elections Act, and rather than accept the second "status quo" option the region, by a wide margin, chose the option that directed the LC to develop new game side election regulations.

This thread is a place to propose ideas and discussion what new game side election regulations you would like to see adopted.  I encourage anyone making proposals of specific text also publish a dispatch on game side so that your proposals can be seen more widely game side.

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

[-] The following 3 users Like Volaworand's post:
  • Beepee, Poppy, Seraph

I've made this Google Doc outlining my proposed changes to the LC Elections Laws. Additions are in green. Subtractions are in red. Please comment or make suggestions via the comment or suggest feature.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 3 users Like North Prarie's post:
  • Beepee, Poppy, Volaworand

Hello LC, I am delighted to offer a proposed LC elections Act and a code of conduct, which together with Praries proposal may promote further discussion.

Local Council Elections Act
Conduct of Parties

South Pacific Elections Code of Conduct
[-] The following 2 users Like Beepee's post:
  • Lily Pad, Poppy

What is the due date for these proposals?
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Volaworand

Well initially this was going to be a project after the one month test of the new relaxed rules on RP and profanity RMB guidelines came to an end the first week of the month.

Given recent Court developments, we're looking at options.  I have little appetite for a new election under the current act.  I'm thinking that the current LC might appoint an interim member to the LC, finish work on this project and then proceed to a special election to permanently fill the third seat.

Of course this would assume the Region approves a new gameside election act proposal and doesn't send this whole project back to the drawing board.  I really though we'd just adopt the forum side law and be done with it... but I read the room incorrectly so here we are.

I will bring up setting a deadline at our meeting today.

Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

[-] The following 1 user Likes Volaworand's post:
  • Poppy

Of course this is perfectly within your remit to appoint the LC,imo.

Also remember, The Local.Council does not require the approval of the citizens to implement laws. If theres one you and auphelia like or agree on you can publish it.
  • Poppy, Volaworand

(03-24-2019, 03:50 AM)Beepee Wrote: Of course this is perfectly within your remit to appoint the LC,imo.

Also remember, The Local.Council does not require the approval of the citizens to implement laws. If theres one you and auphelia like or agree on you can publish it.

True... which is why I'm seeking input here.  The unchecked power of the LC accually distresses me a lot.

For example, in the current law, and both these proposals by yourself and Prairie: what is to prevent me from appointing one of my own puppets as Election commissioner?  Nothing that I can see, accually.  (well, beyond the threat of court complaints that would invariably result).

I'd like to close that glaring loophole, otherwise the next election could be overseen by Not Auphelia or Le Front de Liberation du Midand.

Frankly We could just take that out of the LC's hands by recognizing that the Election Commissioner selected by the CRS for forumside also is accepted  on gameside.  I trust the CRS completely.

I'd also like to add some terminology that changes to the election act require approval by a three day in game poll, perhaps even requiring a 3/5ths majority to change.  Nothing checks unchecked power like democracy.

[-] The following 2 users Like Volaworand's post:
  • Beepee, Poppy

*whispers* never trust the CRS completely.... I've heard they dont have any biscuits! Tounge

I think in general, having Gameside agree a law by vote is the way to go. However, I seem to recall PS got frustrated with trying to get the laws approved , as there was never a consensus and i think he said it was wearing. That always worried me about vote part fo all LC legislation.

If youd like to change the CRS to pick the elections commission, that's absolutely fine. I'd tried to cover this with the sitting LC may not be EC at 2.1.2B of my proposal. (Also Theres also nothing to say that the CRS couldnt also pick FLM as EC.)

This would result in two changes to the legislation I proposed:

1. On or before the first of the month in which an Election is to be held, the CRS must appoint an Elections Commissioner:

1A. The CRS must appoint a nation of upstanding moral character to the position of Elections Commissioner, who must uphold the values of the South Pacific.

Ive drafted up some terminology for the 3/5 majority clause.How about:

Article 6: Amendments to this Act

1. Proposed changes or amendments to this Act must be ratified by a 3/5th majority in a gameside poll lasting 3 days and with the electorate limited to native residents of the South Pacific.

I'll change these on my dispatch so Auphs can see them
  • Poppy, Volaworand

(03-22-2019, 06:09 PM)North Prarie Wrote: I've made this Google Doc outlining my proposed changes to the LC Elections Laws. Additions are in green. Subtractions are in red. Please comment or make suggestions via the comment or suggest feature.

just getting a chance to accually dig into this.

Why would you like the removal of the waiting period for Cabinet members running for LC?  It seems reasonable to me that they are under the same sort of waiting period as term limited LC-ers?  

Why extend the official Nomination period to 7 days?  Are we losing potential quality people with the 4 day period?

Just trying to understand if these solves a problem I don't know that we don't have... in the last three LC elections at least all had very large pools of good candidates running.

[-] The following 2 users Like Volaworand's post:
  • New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Poppy

(03-24-2019, 08:29 AM)Volaworand Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 06:09 PM)North Prarie Wrote: I've made this Google Doc outlining my proposed changes to the LC Elections Laws. Additions are in green. Subtractions are in red. Please comment or make suggestions via the comment or suggest feature.

just getting a chance to accually dig into this.

Why would you like the removal of the waiting period for Cabinet members running for LC?  It seems reasonable to me that they are under the same sort of waiting period as term limited LC-ers?  

Why extend the official Nomination period to 7 days?  Are we losing potential quality people with the 4 day period?

Just trying to understand if these solves a problem I don't know that we don't have... in the last three LC elections at least all had very large pools of good candidates running.
1. Considering those rules don't exist for the LC (a Local Councillor doesn't have to wait a term to run for Cabinet) I think it would be a two-way street.
2. My intention was not only to find more quality canidates, but to allow the CRS and the general populace more time to find a canidate who isn't honest in their CoI/is a security threat.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 2 users Like North Prarie's post:
  • Poppy, Volaworand