We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Summary Judgement Service

[Image: BYEo2lg.png]

Summary Judgement Service

What is the Summary Judgement Service?
As the Court’s case load increases, there is a need to ensure that the more important cases get expedited treatment, so that the region’s great questions are answered as swiftly as possible. To that effect, the Court is proud to introduce the Summary Judgement Service, a thread where legislators can ask the questions that truly matter and a Justice will deliver Summary Judgement on it as soon as possible.

How does the SJS work?
As a legislator, you can post here to ask the Court to rule on a question or review whether someone has committed a crime. If the request is justiciable, the Court will deliver an answer shortly. Since this a a summary judgement, there is little expectation of wait times for brief submissions or questioning: as soon as a case is admitted, it will be ruled on.

What questions can be asked?
If you want to ask a legal question, any topic, however informal or distant from the law, can be justiciable. Is cake better than pie? Justiciable. Does Roavin’s SOONTM have a formal definition? Justiciable. Should Seraph sing more? Definitely justiciable.

Similar rules apply for criminal cases. Does Roavin’s use of SOONTM violate the Criminal Code? Justiciable. Did Amerion engage in corruption for repeatedly offering cookies in return for survey answers? Justiciable. Is it theft when you grab the lampshade of someone who left the regional server? Justiciable.

Come and ask all those questions that need a quick answer. The Court will make sure to break some new ground as it solves the great mysteries of regional law.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 8 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Amerion, Awe, Belschaft, Bzerneleg, islands_of_unity, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Volaworand

Is it contempt of court when I try to confuse the court over this sentence because it's so long and does not commit contempt of court even though it very definitely does?
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

High Court of the South Pacific
Summary Judgement 01

Question by Jebediah:
Is it contempt of court when I try to confuse the court over this sentence because it's so long and does not commit contempt of court even though it very definitely does?

Summary Judgement:
Yes, the sentence constitutes contempt of court. Jebediah is hereby sentenced to pay 500 coconuts to the Lampshade Bar and Grill and to pet baby llamas for at least 8 hours.

It is so ordered.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 4 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Jebediah, Lily Pad, Poppy, Rebeltopia

Can I ask questions in white text?
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?

Is it if I do?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Summary Judgement 02

Question by New Haudenosaunee Confederacy:
Can I ask questions in white text?

Summary Judgement:
Yes, but only if you jump in one leg. Otherwise the white text will slowly become grey.

It is so ordered.

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Lily Pad, Poppy

Summary Judgement 03

Question by Roavin:
Is it if I do?

Summary Judgement:
Yes, under most circumstances. If you do it at 50% power, however, it will cease to be and half the region’s lampshade production will be lost.

It is so ordered.

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Poppy

What came first, the llama or the llama egg?
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Felis Silvestris Grampia, Lily Pad, Poppy

Will the Court be able to provide the SJS 24/7, considering the geographical distribution of the Justices?

Summary Judgement 04

Question by Nakari:
What came first, the llama or the llama egg?

Summary Judgement:
It was the llama, but only because the original llama was born from a coconut that hatched beneath a badger. This was the wicked process devised by the wizard known only as Llama the Dramatic, as told in the mythical Book of Lampshade. Subsequent llamas did lay eggs, which means that the llama was first.

It is so ordered.

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 4 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Felis Silvestris Grampia, Lily Pad, Poppy, Rebeltopia