We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Beta-Testers wanted: New Forum Theme

Hi all,

I've just opened up the "New TSP" theme, which is a new theme for the forum which is intended to eventually replace the other themes. It's a nicer baseline than the others to work with, it looks significantly more modern, and most importantly, it's responsive so it should work much better on mobile devices. Most of it has been adjusted already by Glen, though there still is quite a bit of work to do and sometimes we techie types still miss a few things Tounge

If you're a frequent user of the forum and are willing to do a bit of testing, please try it out and post all your feedback, bug reports, requests, and whatnot here in this thread. Particularly interesting are problems, missing functionality, and usability on non-PC devices.

(Note that I'm aware that this theme doesn't have the "theme selection" drop-down that the others have. What you can do instead is go to your User CP, Edit Options, and change the theme back there if you're sick of it).

-- Roavin

Open issues:
  • BUG: Profile fields overlap in threads on mobile (* *)
  • BUG: "Show Results" for polls not visible (*)
  • BUG: Poll results are unreadably squished on mobile (*)
  • BUG: "To top" not reliable (*)
  • BUG: No table generator (*)
  • UGLY: The grey backgrounds on avatars make transparent avatars look terrible (*)
  • UGLY: Inline images appear above text (*)
  • UGLY: No visible separation between posts and signatures (* *)
  • UGLY: TSP color for buttons (*)
  • UGLY: TSP color for quotes (*)
  • UGLY: Use Semplicita etc. as standard font (*)
  • UGLY: Region logo doesn't link to the home page (*)
  • UGLY: Top bar handles awkwardly when resizing smaller
  • UGLY: Side bar is annoyingly narrow depending on media query
  • UGLY: "blocktext" squishes horribly on mobile (*)
  • UGLY: Spacing/appearance of subforums in forum index (*)
  • UGLY: Green header bar looks like a notification rather than a title (*)
  • FEATURE: See and access subforums from the homescreen on mobile (*)
  • FEATURE: List important articles (*)
  • FEATURE: Board index feature (*)
  • FEATURE: Breadcrumbs at the bottom too (*)
  • FEATURE: Show likes given/received in total (*)

Solved issues:
  • UGLY: Jungle image sucks (*)
  • UGLY: Notification for 0 PMs (*)
  • BUG: Full Edit non-functional (*)
  • UGLY: When narrow, Drop down menu button above rather than beside top bar UI elements (*)
  • UGLY: No quirky background (*) (*)
  • UGLY: Light bulb without effect -> Has been removed
  • FEATURE: Breadcrumb navigation (*)
  • BUG: The displayed user groups at the bottom of the forum are only "Administrators , Super Moderators , Moderators , Banned" (*)
  • BUG: Timestamps in quotes outside of parentheses (*)
  • BUG: No "Like" functionality (*)
  • BUG: User custom titles wrap around wrong (*)
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Amerion, Rebeltopia

And immediately, a feature request from myself: The breadcrumb navigation feature from other themes should be present here as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Amerion

The grey backgrounds on avatars make transparent avatars look terrible.

The displayed user groups at the bottom of the forum are only "Administrators , Super Moderators , Moderators , Banned", which is kinda weird. Not sure if this is visible to all users.

It would be nice to be able to see and access subforums from the homescreen on mobile, perhaps as a dropdown so it isn't too cluttered.

It doesn't bring joy Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Roavin

(11-07-2019, 04:44 PM)Nakari Wrote: The displayed user groups at the bottom of the forum are only "Administrators , Super Moderators , Moderators , Banned", which is kinda weird. Not sure if this is visible to all users.

No, that's me too. Is it supposed to be something different?
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

...Oh and also, the old picture was a bit low res and bad, while the new picture is a jungle, which is not exactly representative of the TSP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jebediah's post:
  • Amerion

I don't use the forum much, so feel free to disregard this.

Personally I think it seems a bit too full. More cluttered than the old one - I think it's the sidebar. I kinda like that the pages on the current theme only take up about 3/5 of my screen width-wards.
Did some LC, MoRA, CRS stuff in the past. Do a lot of World Census stuff now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pencil Sharpeners's post:
  • Amerion

(11-07-2019, 04:53 PM)Jebediah Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 04:44 PM)Nakari Wrote: The displayed user groups at the bottom of the forum are only "Administrators , Super Moderators , Moderators , Banned", which is kinda weird. Not sure if this is visible to all users.

No, that's me too. Is it supposed to be something different? 

Well, it doesn't exist in Island Paradise, and if it does exist, it seems really weird to only have four roles on it.

Main criticism though: it's bland. It could be a forum for anything, or like, a imitation of Facebook. I like Island Paradise's transparency, it gives a bit of personality. and the background makes it feel cosy, but bright enough to not feel oppressive. This is just so meh. The only bit of personality is the banner, which is a jungle and has basically nothing to do with TSP's themes. Like, I guess it's a nice forum, it just isn't a TSP forum to me.

Profile fields overlap each other when viewing a thread on a mobile device.

And this too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZU_mjDm...sp=sharing

No like functionality