We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Letter from the Minister of Regional Affairs

PRESS RELEASE

[Image: Ewbda7L.png]

A LETTER FROM THE MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS

14 May 2020

My fellow citizens of the South Pacific:

I want to start by thanking the legislators of the Assembly for electing me as the Minister of Regional Affairs in February 2020. Before I was elected to serve as the Minister, I was just a citizen, legislator, and roleplayer — and have been since I joined the South Pacific in February 2014. It was a particularly enjoyable moment to be elected Minister on the heels of my sixth anniversary of citizenship in the Coalition of the South Pacific.

In 2019, I made the move to become more involved in the political aspect of the South Pacific, which I had begun to find intriguing. By March, I had taken an interest in endotarting and the Southern World Assembly Initiative. By July, I had begun participating in the Ministry of Regional Affairs. When I started in the Ministry, I did so by contributing roleplay articles to Coconut Press, but my contributions to the Ministry would grow as time went on.

In the final quarter of 2019, I worked in a Ministry led by Agalaesia, who did amazing work as Minister and I am grateful to him because he granted me the opportunity to serve as the first-ever Senior Fellow for Roleplay. In this position, I took the initiative to revive the Treasure Island Report and helped in the planning and execution of the South Pacific–Conch Kingdom event in January 2020.

When the February 2020 elections begun, I announced my candidacy for Minister of Regional Affairs but was disappointed to find that many candidates (myself included) were running unopposed. I wish there was someone then willing to challenge me and make me fight for the office of Minister, but that is not what happened. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the moment when I was elected for the first time to hold office in the South Pacific.

Now as we are concluding this term, we have co-organized and co-hosted the first of what will hopefully be an annual occurrence of Pacific-Con, begun development of TSP Encyclopedia, and revived The Southern Journal. I want to thank all of the Fellows of the Ministry who helped make this possible.

However, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my resignation as the Minister of Regional Affairs, due to take effect at midnight UTC on 18 May. Throughout my term, I have dealt with undue stress and anxiety that isn’t good news for my mental health, so I have come to the decision that I need to take a leave of absence from NationStates for two weeks, beginning once my resignation takes effect.

For the duration of this leave, I will probably log in to NS just to answer my daily issues and endotart, but avoid reading or posting anything on the RMB, Discord, or the forums. If I am pinged in any way on Discord that is not a DM, I will likely mark it as read without actually reading what was written. For my health and wellbeing, I need to take a step back from NS for a while.

I have spoken with Prime Minister Roavin about this and he will be announcing my successor shortly. Again, I want to thank everyone who elected and granted me the opportunity to serve as the Minister of Regional Affairs, which has been an honor and a privilege, as well as the Fellows who have contributed greatly to the Ministry during my term.

Many thanks,

Minister of Regional Affairs,
Jay

[Image: MHQADbw.png]

4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 10 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • fuentana, Imperial Frost Federation, Nat, Omega, phoenixofthesun14, Rebeltopia, Seraph, Somyrion, Tin the Free, USoVietnam

Many thanks for a distinguished term when the extraordinary was accomplished. I wish you the best Jay.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 2 users Like Omega's post:
  • Jay Coop, phoenixofthesun14

Thanks for all you've done - particularly Pacific-Con will remain a giant shining beacon of your legacy for a long, long time.

As always, RL > NS, particularly in these troubling global times, and I hope that you feel better after your much-deserved break and that we can work together once more.

*tips his lampshade*
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 4 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Jay Coop, Omega, phoenixofthesun14, Somyrion

Thank you for your exceptional service, Jay. I hope to see you in office again in the not-too-distant future whenever you feel the appropriate circumstances converge.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 2 users Like Somyrion's post:

Thank you for all that you have done and accomplished! Heart
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:

Thank you for your service
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 2 users Like Ryccia's post:

Thanks for your stellar efforts, Jay. I also want to personally apologise if any of my actions or words have contributed to your stress. I know only too well how NS can affect your mental health and I'm truly sorry if I've been more past of the problem that the solution.

All the best for your break!
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 2 users Like Seraph's post:

(05-14-2020, 02:35 AM)Seraph Wrote: Thanks for your stellar efforts, Jay. I also want to personally apologise if any of my actions or words have contributed to your stress. I know only too well how NS can affect your mental health and I'm truly sorry if I've been more past of the problem that the solution.

All the best for your break!

Don't even stress, you have nothing to apologize for, Seraph. It's more the game getting to me than any single person.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, Seraph