We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue XXVII

[Image: CykDbKO.png]

Issue XXVII

Contents
  • Fantasy Character RP Comes to TSP (Again)

Fantasy Character RP Comes to TSP (Again)
    By Seraph/Erinor

The South Pacific’s roleplaying community has mooted the idea of doing a fantasy character RP for some time, with the most recent discussions on the forum going back to 2017. In 2016 there was even an attempt actually to run a fantasy character RP using our Pacifica setting as a base. TSP 1116, as it was called, saw a bold and ambitious start, but fizzled out almost immediately.

There have, perhaps, been many reasons for this unrealised desire for fantasy roleplay in the South Pacific. The level of organisation deemed necessary has been a hindrance, as has the absence of a new map or a clear, unified vision of the kind of fantasy roleplay the community would most enjoy. The connection between character and nation RP has also been an issue, with some players preferring one, or the other, or both and not all players in each category being happy with the two being connected in any way.

In the case of TSP 1116, it was, perhaps, both too ambitious and too tied to our existing canon for players to really settle into it comfortably. The large scale of the Pacifca map lead to a large-scale RP without a clear, smaller scale starting point. It’s interesting to note that a science fiction roleplay setting has been running successfully for a couple of years now - a success tied, I think, with a map which is both clear and flexible.

And yet, despite all setbacks, the desire for fantasy roleplay has persisted and that desire has finally spilled over, once again, into action.

A Memory of Starlight is a fantasy character RP in a very different mould to TSP 1116. Currently mapless, it is intended to be as open-ended and community-built as possible, whilst still having some core design decisions and some kind of centrally prodded (if not directed) plot. It is also designed to break one of the core rules of roleplaying, that you should never write another player’s character. Whilst initially disturbing to some players, this consensual character-writing model is designed to create a more flowing narrative and to enable slower writers who can’t be on at the same time as other players to contribute meaningfully to the story.

This kind of RP, or multi-author storytelling, as it has also been termed, is one with which I’m very familiar and comfortable having participated in such for several years back when I was still a student and it was nostalgia for the kinds of stories we used to tell that made me finally take control of my lockdown inertia and actually get something on paper.

Set on an ocean world called Henua (a word in several Polynesian languages meaning ‘island’), A Memory of Starlight includes Steampunk-Polynesian humans; Samurai bird-people; peace-loving Celtic-Christian Dwarves; Techno-Norse Elves; Winged-Icelandic Shepherds and many more besides, plus a plot that, currently, revolves around ancient civilisations and a mysterious, potentially Lovecraftian Birdman cult, with a starting focus on one of the Steampunk-Polynesian metropolises, so things don’t get too out of hand too quickly.

So far, the RP has progressed rather more smoothly than I had hoped and whilst there are still some traditional RP borders to be crossed, I think players are starting to get used to how this one will be written and are excited for what may be to come. It is still early days, however, and it remains to be seen if the world of Henua will become a regular staple of the South Pacific’s roleplay options, or if it will be consigned to history like so many other attempts.

A Memory of Starlight is still open for new players to join. Please just read the sign in fully before you post your character and we advise catching up on all the previous posts if you haven’t been following along in the background.

The Completion of World Forum
    Source: GIN Online | Written by Christian Strunk on 12 May 2020 | Nation: GI-Land (@GI-Land)

Disclaimer - This article is a commentary written by an active politician, who belongs to the Social Liberal Party (SLP). GIN Online is neutral and wants to remind the reader, that this comment does only reflect the opinion of its author.

It has been three years since ten nations in Pacifica agreed on founding an organization, which promotes peace, diplomacy and voluntary cooperation between them. An organization not as exclusive as the ones, which have existed before. On 19 March 2017 the nations of Sedunn, Erinor, Omega, Valkyria, the Frost Empire, Huawan, GI-Land, Ryccia, Karnetvor, Resentine and Pax Dracon signed the charter of the World Forum, but the development of the forum, that was envisioned in that paper, went kind of slowly.

In November 2017 the position of a speaker in the Assembly was adopted, but neither me, as the first speaker, nor the following ones were working on a fully functioning World Forum. We were once again on the brink of having another international organization becoming not only toothless, but also insignificant.

When the Frost Empire suggested, that GI-Land shall take the position of speaker once again, I don’t think the general expectations were high. It was more likely, that there was just another speaker needed, which hopefully will not bury the organization with its continued stand-still politics. But these expectations – some might want to call it “hopes” – were not met.

In the last few months, we made major progress in the fields of establishing not only the expert committees, which will play a supportive role in future Assembly-discussions, but also in establishing the first real, neutral international court, which will deal with future tensions and conflicts, that are submitted to them. We finally have everything, that is needed for our world-wide institution to work effectively and make a difference in the world. In the next speakership elections, we will not only vote on a new speaker, but we will also have votes connected to the committees and to the IC.

Momentarily there are also talks about an international cooperation of member nation’s police forces and I am sure, we will also get one or two more possible resolutions on our table to discuss and vote on soon.

To all my successors: Please work hard, that the WF continues to thrive after my term. It deserved it and shall not become a victim of insignificance. And since we can only do this together, be assured, I am always here to help.

Yours sincerely,

Christian Strunk
    Speaker of the Assembly

Read more on GIN Online...

The New Series Implemented
    Source: New Times | Nation: Eareamland (@Eareamland (canadianMaps))

The new series of bills are now officially implemented into the country. For those wanting to know, the designs are vertical bills, 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 and 100. Each has a security band with the Royal Bank of Eareamland on it, the number of the bill on the top left and bottom right, as well as the security number on the top right and bottom left.
    [Image: KrmX5Me.png][Image: B2lwC1O.png][Image: emRvL6z.png][Image: J0oLGC7.png][Image: tzhQqTN.png][Image: Z3HUMbP.png]

Here are all of them. All with a white outline and a security strip in the middle that is transparent. The numbers on the bottom right are personally written by King James I in the designs. The new bills are already starting circulation, and all citizens must report to a bank to switch their currencies out within the next 5 months if they so wish. If not, the current notes will stay in circulation as well until 2021, when they will be devalued.

Read more on New TImes in Eareamland

[Image: tmn5ltl.png]

About the Treasure Island Report
    The Treasure Island Report (TIR) is a monthly newspaper from the roleplay community with in-character and out-of-character articles about roleplay, as well as other community related news.

Want to contribute to the next issue? Submit articles in the #tir-submissions channel on the TSP Roleplay Discord server.