We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Criminal Complaint (charge someone with a crime under the Criminal Code) [2001.OC] North Prarie v. Varanius

Your Honors,

I have compelling evidence that the individual Varanius (known as Sue on the TSP Discord) is a puppy kicker.
That's right. 
A puppy kicker. 
My evidence is as follows, provided by @Xoriet.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 5 users Like North Prarie's post:
  • Atlae, Rabbitz, Tretrid, Xoriet, Zukchiva

I have more evidence to bring before the Court:
[Image: unknown.png]
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

COURT OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC FOR THE DISTRICT OF GOVERNMENT ISLAND
[2001.OC] NORTH PRARIE V. VARANIUS
SUBMISSION 17 SEPTEMBER 2020

Notice is given that this question has been received by the Court for the District of Government Island and has been assigned all the necessary identifying information as follows:

DOCKET FILE NUMBER
2001.OC

REFERENCE NAME
North Prarie v. Varanius

CHARGE
Puppy Kicking

The petitioner and other interested parties are invited to explain the necessity of a decision on this matter over the next 24 minutes. Briefs Amicus Curiae on the preferred eventual outcome of this case are not required at this time.

2001.OC.NR | Issued 17 September 2020
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • North Prarie

SUBMISSION 17 SEPTEMBER 2020 | PROBABLE CAUSE 17 SEPTEMBER 2020

Whereas this Court has been asked to exercise the judicial power vested in it by Article VIII of the Charter of the South Pacific, it is resolved as follows:

FINDING OF PROBABLE CAUSE
This case is found to have probable cause and shall be duly considered under case number OCCC2001 and all other designations assigned by document 2001.OC.NR.

INDICTMENT
Varanius is indicted on the charge of Puppy Kicking and is invited to present a defence no later than 14 minutes from now either on their own or through an attorney of their choosing.

SUBMISSION OF BRIEFS AMICUS CURIAE
Interested parties may submit briefs amicus curiae to argue their views on the whole or a part of this case no later than 7 minutes from now, and shall thereafter be liable to answer any questions that the Court may pose in relation to their brief.

SUBMISSION OF REQUESTS FOR RECUSAL
Interested parties may request the recusal of the Chief Justice or any Associate Justice no later than 3 minutes from now. Any such request should provide clear reasons to support the requested recusal and explain the possible negative impact of a failure to recuse.

RETENTION OF RIGHTS
The Court retains the right to consult with, and request further testimony and evidence from, government institutions and other third parties as necessary to adequately exercise its sole right to issue a verdict and, if applicable, a sentence on this case.

It is so ordered.

2001.OC.PC | Issued 17 September 2020
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 3 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Seraph, Swifty, Xoriet

Your honors,

after consulting with legal expert Curious Observations, I have come to the conclusion that this case is not only justiciable, not only constitutes probable cause, but also is an open and shut case of the utmost importance. I suggest a harsh punishment, such as a timeout for 2 minutes, to be served on consecutive business days at 13:37 UTC for 42 seconds each.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 9 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Kris Kringle, North Prarie, Penguin, phoenixofthesun14, Rabbitz, Ryccia, Seraph, Tretrid, Xoriet

Your honors,

the evidence presented before you is quite simply, fake. This “evidence”, presented to yourselves and many others by Xoriet, is nothing more then a personal attack against me, assumably for unknown political gains. This series of character attacks is made of nothing more than fabricated images, propaganda, and flat out lies. It is an insult to the Court, as well as the whole of The South Pacific’s government, to allow and even legitimize this politically based character assassination. I have never, and will never, kick puppies. Don’t let yourselves be manipulated by this foreign propaganda, propaganda being perpetuated by an NPO government member, looking to use The South Pacific as a tool to further her own political goals. This entire thing is just scare tactics and baseless accusations, and I would implore the Court to reconsider.

Your honors, as a witness to this crime, I present further evidence of puppy kicking by the defendant: 

Varanius is no innocent, and is not being framed. He clearly in the first screenshot admitted to kicking the puppy, and in the second, just blatantly kicks another. This is a heinous crime that cannot go unpunished.
@MallRiva: Pants are like defenders: they stifle all the fun and no one actually wants them around at a party.

<@Zeorus> Xoriet is my favorite fendascum <3
[-] The following 3 users Like Xoriet's post:
  • North Prarie, Ryccia, Seraph

Your honors,

I wish to present more evidence before the court, one where the defendant plainly admits that he kicks puppies.

Fire Fire Fire Empress of Fire  Fire Fire Fire
Current Minister of Military Affairs
Chair Perch of the Assembly (February to June 2020)
SPSF Soldier
MoRA Fellow
Ambassador to Forest and Lazarus

Your most esteemed and glorious honors, the horror continues. This is evidence that the defendant never intended to stop kicking puppies, and in fact continues it to this day.

[Image: unknown.png][Image: unknown.png]
@MallRiva: Pants are like defenders: they stifle all the fun and no one actually wants them around at a party.

<@Zeorus> Xoriet is my favorite fendascum <3

SUBMISSION 17 SEPTEMBER 2020 | PROBABLE CAUSE 17 SEPTEMBER 2020 | VERDICT 16 OCTOBER 2020

CHARGE
Puppy Kicking

SUMMARY OF THE VERDICT
It is the finding of the Court that the evidence presented shows that it is more likely than not that Varanius has repeatedly kicked puppies without remorse and with a clear intent to deny their actions in an attempt to avoid legal and personal consequences; therefore, on the charge of puppy kicking the Court finds Varanius guilty.

CHIEF JUDGE KRINGLE DELIVERED THE VERDICT.

On the matter of the charge of puppy kicking against Varanius, it is the finding of the Court that the evidence presented shows that it is more likely than not that Varanius has repeatedly kicked puppies. This finding is supported by the evidence submitted and by victim accounts, all which provide a disturbing narrative of repeated and unrepentant aggression against puppies.

The initial incident identified by the Court is the kicking of Jason, a 4-year-old chihuahua, at the steps of the Assembly Hall on August 20. Legislators who were present at the time of the incident say that Varanius approached Jason while running down the steps and kicked him in an attempt to "get him out of the way", after which Jason fell down the steps and barked in annoyance at Varanius. This was confirmed by Jason, who provided testimony to the Court via the assistance of a dog translator. Varanius himself admitted to the incident but put it in a different light, saying "that rude puppy, after I accidentally bumped into it with my foot, went on to bully me".

While there were no further incidents for the remainder of the month, Varanius did suggest future action by saying on August 28 that he was preparing his "puppy kicking leg". The next incident happened on September 01, when Varanius kicked an unidentified puppy at Swifty, followed by two incidents on September 06, both recorded by security footage, where Varanius kicked 4 puppies at 208 Market Street: one 7-year-old bulldog and three 6-month-old shih tzus. The bulldog, identified by the name Daisy, was accompanied by 98 other puppies and was part of a tourist group that was visiting Government Island. Doctors at the Government Island General Hospital who attended Daisy say that she suffered bruises on her legs and paws, as well as lingering anxiety from the attack. When confronted about this pattern of attacks, Varanius said on September 20 that "those puppies deserved it".

These incidents not only show a clear pattern, but they also show a lack of remorse for the actions committed. Varanius has had several opportunities to refrain from kicking puppies and even more opportunities to publicly regret his actions: he has done neither; in fact, he has continued to kick puppies while denying that these actions ever took place. The accounts collected by the Court, in addition to victim testimonies and security footage, provide sufficient evidence to conclude that it is more likely than not, and in fact it is clear beyond any reasonable doubt, that Varanius has kicked puppies. In view of these facts, the Court hereby finds Varanius to be guilty of the crime of puppy kicking.

It is so ordered.

2001.OC.V | Issued 16 October 2020

Legal Resources: