We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Social Liberal Union Consulate

This thread shall serve as the consulate of the Social Liberal Union. Welcome to the South Pacific!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Toonela

Hello, 
Recently our government has had some changes in figure. Our Ministry of Immigration's Minister has been elected as, Erynia and Draconia, with Deputy Minister, Courelli. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will stay the same with, Goncar as it's Minister, and I, Prplia, as it's Deputy Minister. Finally, the Ministry of Domestic Affairs will see North American Republics as the Minister, and Ramelia as Deputy.

Also, this week will see the completion of the construction of the embassy between our regions of The South Pacific, and Social Liberal Union.

As of now, 7-7-2021, the SLU has 12 (soon to be 13) embassies, and 144 residents.

Best Regards,
Prplia
I'm the Ambassador from the SLU. My name is Amber, and my nation is Prplia.
[-] The following 2 users Like Prplia's post:
  • Jay Coop, Moon

The South Pacific,

Hello! I'm Toonela, the recently elected Delegate of the Social Liberal Union and even more recently appointed Ambassador to your region.

I should begin by apologizing for my various predecessors negligence in maintaining this thread. I'll be doing my level best to rectify this situation, both here and elsewhere in the SLU's interregional relations, with the help of our Foreign Affairs team going forward.

Here's some recent news that may be of interest to you all:

Union Mass Media, a production of Domestic Affairs, released the February Edition of the regional newsletter which helped introduce regional members to new faces within the government.

Ministerial election results were announced on the 23rd. Courelli and Lost Slokasians are serving as the Minister and Deputy Minister (respectively) of Immigration; Helvurium and Koiho in the Ministry of Domestic Affairs; Goncar and North American Republics in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Lost Slokasians is a first time member in the government and North American Republics is returning to government following a brief absence. With this new team, the Cabinet of my administration is complete.

The Social Liberal Union has 13 Embassies, with prospective additions under review.

Thank you very much! I'll be back on Wednesday with another report.
20th World Assembly Delegate of the Social Liberal Union
Ambassador to The South Pacific
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toonela's post:
  • Moon

Hello again, TSP,

Terribly sorry about the delay on this particular update. It has been a busy couple of weeks for me as I switched jobs.

The Open Parliament is currently voting on a Re-Ratification of the Arnhelm Declaration as we strive to iron out some noticed discrepancies in our law records.

The next Union Mass Media newsletter features both an interview with yours truly and an article about musicians!

Nominations for the Speaker of the Union end today.

A number of SLU members on multiple committees are currently engaged in attempting a revitalization effort within the NSLeft Pact following a long period of aimlessness.

What a month!
  • Moon

Thank you for the update, I wish the SLU good luck with their revitalization efforts!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moon's post:
  • Toonela

Thanks Moon!

I'm back with another update. There's not always that much to report on, but here's the last couple of weeks in review:

For April Fool's Day, the Social Liberal Union became the Social Liberal Onion and took on the task of temporarily becoming a center for culinary discussion in our Discord server. Many dishes were discussed. All hail the Social Liberal Onion, which has gone too soon from this world.

The NSLeft member region of Wintercrest decided to go on an indefinite hiatus earlier this year, effectively shutting down. With the suspension of the region as a functioning, democratic government with an active membership, NSLeft regions advanced a motion to expel Wintercrest from the Solidarity Pact; this motion passed on April 14th, surpassing the required two-thirds majority of regional votes needed. The SLU's members, while saddened to see an allied region effectively dissolved, understandably voted for the motion to expel.

In other NSLeft news, progress continues on efforts to inject new mechanisms for inter-regional collaboration into the Solidarity Pact. One amendment to that effect is currently being voted on.

Back in the Social Liberal Union, Helvurium won their uncontested election to the position of Speaker of the Union. Participation in the approval election was not high. Their former Deputy Minister of Domestic Affairs, Koiho, has since occupied their position as Minister of Domestic Affairs, per the succession to vacancies mechanism laid forth in the Constitution.

I have made two updates to the region in my role as World Assembly Delegate, resuming a weekly program that I had been forced to abandon earlier on in my term. These updates can be found on our regional RMB. Also accessible on our regional homepage are my new World Assembly Recommendations, which I have begun writing chiefly in response to a lack of WA affairs coordination on the broader left-wing of NS politics, but also due to what I consider sometimes disappointingly lacking WA guidance issued by existing WA voting pact bodies.

The Open Parliament of the SLU is discussing two bills which I have recently proposed to revise the relationship between the regional Delegate and the existing World Assembly advisory channels.

Finally, Union Mass Media's March and April newsletters will be released as a double edition, due to the chief editor being quite occupied with both theater and vacation. Luckily, both went well, so the newsletter will be back soon!
[-] The following 2 users Like Toonela's post:
  • Moon, philipmacaroni

Ooh, congrats on getting your WA program up again!
  • Toonela

I'm not sure how we're managing to do enough each week to update this as often as we do, but somehow, we are!

First on the agenda: NSLeft news. The amendment to the NSLeft Solidarity proposed by Kavagrad following the expulsion of Wintercrest from NSLeft passed unanimously, with the Social Liberal Union joining all the others with an overwhelming vote in favor of the adoption. It's believed that the new Voluntary Committee structure will help spur inter-regional activity by opening the door to more projects.

Back in the SLU, recently elected Speaker of the Union Helvurium appointed long-time member state An-Astral as their Speaker pro tempore, while the Cabinet appointed Hirematia, a constant presence in our roleplay scene, to the position of Deputy Minister of Domestic affairs; these moves filled all outstanding governmental vacancies.

Those two bills being discussed in the Open Parliament I mentioned last update, an amendment to the Civil Service Act and the Office of World Assembly Affairs Establishment Act, are now at vote! Results are due in approximately four days, following the closing of the polls.

On May Day, the SLU published a International Workers' Day resource dispatch offering articles on the holiday's history, an international events catalog, organizational reading suggestion, and contemporary news pieces. Widely circulated, it continues to top the New dispatch list as of this update.

Finally, a special double edition of the Union Tribune Newsletter is out! It features an inter-regional event with our friends in Europeia, an interview, & a short article on the future of the music industry!
  • Moon

Thank you for the update! Really great to see the SLU thrive, and that resource dispatch was a wonderful read.
  • Toonela

Another month is about to come to an end! Sadly, so too is my term as World Assembly Delegate of the Social Liberal Union. Only the Fates know whether my re-election bid will be successful, but no matter which way the winds blow, I hope to stay on as your Ambassador after the next Cabinet convenes!

That said, the election for the next World Assembly Delegate is under way! I, the incumbent, am facing one challenger, long-time member state Drennicka, as I seek re-election to my first and final consecutive term. Voting began on May 22nd and will end on May 29th. After the confirmation of the next Delegate, nominations, then elections, for the next set of Ministers of the Social Liberal Union will begin.

From the 18th until the 22nd, the Republic of Europeia and the Social Liberal Union co-hosted a joint game night. Members from both regions played Civilization VI, Jackbox games, trivia, and hung out with one another over the course of four days. It went so well, in fact, that the SLU and Europeia have both presented their respective legislatures with a treaty of friendship to further advance their inter-regional issues as allies. The Treaty of Biscuitopolis is currently under discussion before the Open Parliament, pending ratification at the ballot box.

Speaking of the Open Parliament, those two bills I mentioned earlier in the month, the Amendment to the Civil Service Act and the Office of World Assembly Affairs Establishment Act were both passed by the legislature. These two bills mark my first foray into SLU legislating, so I was quite happy to see their successes, and am hoping to embrace the added responsibility I've given myself by passing the latter bill Nervous

I have it on good authority that the next issue of the Union Tribune features yet another interview with a regional leader. Oh my, who could it be? Find out in just a few days as May turns to June!
  • Moon