The South Pacific
SPSF Review - May - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+------ Forum: Private Halls of the Assembly (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-95.html)
+------ Thread: SPSF Review - May (/thread-2341.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: SPSF Review - May - Tsunamy - 07-12-2015

I personally was wondering if we even need to vote on the review. Or if the fact that it's put together is enough?

SPSF Review - May - ProfessorHenn - 07-12-2015

I voted may on account of how out of date it is.

~Professor Henn, Hardcore Leftist, Totally not a Dinosaur

RE: SPSF Review - May - TAC Saxton - 07-12-2015

Well, it is supposed to be the May Review. At this point, it's supposed to be out of date.

RE: SPSF Review - May - Farengeto - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 08:58 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I personally was wondering if we even need to vote on the review.  Or if the fact that it's put together is enough?

It says in the laws we have to do a resolution. Which by definition entails writing a proposal and approving it.

RE: SPSF Review - May - Tsunamy - 07-14-2015

(07-12-2015, 10:37 PM)Farengeto Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 08:58 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I personally was wondering if we even need to vote on the review.  Or if the fact that it's put together is enough?

It says in the laws we have to do a resolution. Which by definition entails writing a proposal and approving it.

Ugh. Well then that's dumb. We should rethink that b/c of the amazing points in this thread.

RE: SPSF Review - May - Kris Kringle - 07-14-2015

Why is it dumb?

(07-14-2015, 04:46 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Why is it dumb?

Because -- as what asked -- what happens if this fails? Do we write another resolution? Will something news have come? Will the Army suddenly have done something different?

I don't understand why we need to pass a resolution on it, especially if it's essentially a rubber stamp.

RE: SPSF Review - May - Kris Kringle - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 08:59 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Because -- as what asked -- what happens if this fails? Do we write another resolution? Will something news have come? Will the Army suddenly have done something different?

If we kept thinking what would happen if a bill failed, we would never pass any laws. Like all our legislation, ideally it'd be motioned and seconded once we have a consensus on its text.

(07-14-2015, 08:59 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I don't understand why we need to pass a resolution on it, especially if it's essentially a rubber stamp.

Because that's what the Assembly does: pass laws. In this case, the law says the Assembly must write the report, and that involves giving it the official seal of approval, through a vote.

(07-14-2015, 09:16 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 08:59 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Because -- as what asked -- what happens if this fails? Do we write another resolution? Will something news have come? Will the Army suddenly have done something different?

If we kept thinking what would happen if a bill failed, we would never pass any laws. Like all our legislation, ideally it'd be motioned and seconded once we have a consensus on its text.

(07-14-2015, 08:59 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I don't understand why we need to pass a resolution on it, especially if it's essentially a rubber stamp.

Because that's what the Assembly does: pass laws. In this case, the law says the Assembly must write the report, and that involves giving it the official seal of approval, through a vote.

But this isn't passing a law -- that's my point. There is no alternative to it passing. We're not going to come up with a new solution -- the review is, what it is.

At this point, you're twisting my words to whatever end. It's been pointed out — by you, nonetheless — that nothing happens if the resolution doesn't pass. Which is the same thing that happens if it does pass. At this point, the outcome is the same, who this whole effort is futile.

To be clear: I'm not saying ALL laws are useless. But when we have a vote and the outcome doesn't matter -- that's the definition of pointless.

I, for one, respect everyone's time and wouldn't ask them to undertake a regularly scheduled exercise in futility.

RE: SPSF Review - May - Farengeto - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 09:41 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 09:16 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:

But this isn't passing a law -- that's my point. There is no alternative to it passing. We're not going to come up with a new solution -- the review is, what it is.

At this point, you're twisting my words to whatever end. It's been pointed out — by you, nonetheless — that nothing happens if the resolution doesn't pass. Which is the same thing that happens if it does pass. At this point, the outcome is the same, who this whole effort is futile.

To be clear: I'm not saying ALL laws are useless. But when we have a vote and the outcome doesn't matter -- that's the definition of pointless.

I, for one, respect everyone's time and wouldn't ask them to undertake a regularly scheduled exercise in futility.

Well unfortunately I didn't have a choice, I'm merely following the laws as written. I asume the intent was to ensure a report the majority of the region believes to be accurate.

The approval also becomes necessary because this is supposed to be drafted by the Assembly rather than a specific position. If it was a report submitted by the cabinet or such the approval might now be necessary, but under current laws it's supposed to be drafted and approved by the Assembly.