The South Pacific
Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Great Councils (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-234.html)
+----- Forum: 2022 Great Council (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-588.html)
+----- Thread: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate (/thread-10649.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Jagged Fel - 07-21-2022

That's not what I said. When I say that we have to reinterest the gameside, I'm talking about players in general, not specifically the RMB, which is a stress relief and RP space. There is a certain distance between the RMBers and the forum, but what counts is to integrate the players (who do not necessarily frequent the RMB, therefore) by using the means available. We must not consider the RMB as a political space where we would recruit people.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - A bee - 07-21-2022

IMO the first part of your proposal and Moon's original thread on appointment-based system go well together - I'd suggest working together on the Draft Resolution for executive reform.
However,
(07-20-2022, 08:11 AM)Jagged Fel Wrote: (1) The Delegate will be the head of state the head of government of the Coalition.
(Anyone) being the Head of State AND the Head of Government is a hard NO from me.
(07-20-2022, 08:11 AM)Jagged Fel Wrote: they will have to appoint the Prime Minister.
Not appointment but approval of is better, it's an interesting idea which I've pondered on during my redraft of the Charter as a whole. I dropped it pretty quickly because Cohabitation can't be easily nor properly simulated into the game.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Jagged Fel - 07-22-2022

(07-21-2022, 05:00 PM)The Allied States of Bistritza Wrote: IMO the first part of your proposal and Moon's original thread on appointment-based system go well together - I'd suggest working together on the Draft Resolution for executive reform.

It can be done.

Quote:
(07-20-2022, 08:11 AM)Jagged Fel Wrote: they will have to appoint the Prime Minister.
Not appointment but approval of is better, it's an interesting idea which I've pondered on during my redraft of the Charter as a whole. I dropped it pretty quickly because Cohabitation can't be easily nor properly simulated into the game.

What do you mean by approval? That the delegate approves the PM after his election (by whom?)?
If the delegate just “approves” the members of the government, then he is a little removed from them and he has too honorary a role.
The idea is that the delegate participates in the development of the government (by appointing the PM) and that he leaves to the PM part of the power (he appoints his ministers). We thus have a stronger and independent executive of the Assembly. We can come back to the idea of ​​the delegate as HoS+HoG, by saying that delegate and PM "share" the HoG.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Domais - 07-22-2022

I am opposed to this. I'll explain having an Executive Delegate is a security risk. In Lazarus, for example, all of its coups have arisen from an Executive Delegate. Now that they have changed the Delegate into a non-elected security position, there hasn't been a coup in over three years. It will lead to more power-hungry people seeking the office. Therefore, expanding the powers of the Delegate will only lead to future strife.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Comfed - 07-22-2022

I do think if the Delegate were the head of government, it would be helpful in bridging the divide between RMB and forum regulars.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - HumanSanity - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022, 08:59 PM)Comfed Wrote: I do think if the Delegate were the head of government, it would be helpful in bridging the divide between RMB and forum regulars.
I'd rather the PM just have the authority to govern the gameside tho

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Jagged Fel - 07-23-2022

(07-22-2022, 09:55 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: I'd rather the PM just have the authority to govern the gameside tho

It is rather the role of the delegate, he is more present from the gameside than in the forum.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Jagged Fel - 07-24-2022

Here are some changes for the elections act.
Cabinet mandates are reduced to 3 months
Quote:Elections Act

3. Office of the Delegate

(4) The Delegate-elect will be considered formally inaugurated upon achieving the most endorsements. Prior to inauguration, the sole responsibility of the Delegate-elect is to gather endorsements, in coordination with the incumbent Delegate and in cooperation with the Council on Regional Security. The incumbent will continue to hold the office of the Delegate and will remain responsible for all responsibilities of that office, serving out the remainder of their term, until the inauguration of the Delegate-elect. After the inauguration, the Delegate is responsible for appointing the Prime Minister.

4. Offices of the Cabinet

(1) On the first of every February, June and October, the Assembly will convene to elect the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.
January, April, July and October, the Deleguate will appoint the Prime Minister. They will then appoint the ministers of their Cabinet.
a. After the first 4 days of the election period, during which legislators may declare their candidacy and campaign for only one position, and a campaign-only period of two days, where candidates may campaign and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platforms, the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
b. For each position, the respective winner, as decided using Instant-Runoff Voting, will be declared the Minister-elect by the Election Commissioner.

Following the Cabinet appointment, the Prime Minister will face a regional poll vote. If they are not confirmed with the majority of votes, the Delegate will be responsible for appointing a new Prime Minister.

(2) The terms for the incoming Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will begin the week after electionsappointments. Before this inauguration, any and all electionappointment-related disputes must be settled. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will maintain their offices until then.

6. Vacancies of Office

(1) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Cabinet, if at least half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Cabinet may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.
a.In the event of a vacancy in the post of Prime Minister, the Delegate will have to appoint a new one, the Cabinet will remain in place.
b.In the event of a vacancy in a Cabinet post, the Prime Minister will appoint the successor to the vacant post.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Moon - 07-24-2022

(07-21-2022, 02:06 PM)Jagged Fel Wrote: We must not consider the RMB as a political space where we would recruit people.
Why not? The RMB is a community space that we own, and utilizing it to have interested people voluntarily join our government seems like something that we should be already doing, if I'm being frank.

I'm still not convinced that we're going to have much success in attracting pure stats players, who're significantly less active than RMBers most of the times, to participate in our political process, when we can't even get a majority of our active RMBers to do so. I've already said why I believe this to be the case here. I feel like we're catering to a group that doesn't need it, and would just prefer being left alone.

RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - Jagged Fel - 07-24-2022

(07-24-2022, 12:06 PM)Moon Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 02:06 PM)Jagged Fel Wrote: We must not consider the RMB as a political space where we would recruit people.
Why not? The RMB is a community space that we own, and utilizing it to have interested people voluntarily join our government seems like something that we should be already doing, if I'm being frank.

I'm still not convinced that we're going to have much success in attracting pure stats players, who're significantly less active than RMBers most of the times, to participate in our political process, when we can't even get a majority of our active RMBers to do so. I've already said why I believe this to be the case here. I feel like we're catering to a group that doesn't need it, and would just prefer being left alone.

We can of course use the RMB to promote the government but we must not see the "gameside" as being the same thing as the RMB, the majority of people are not there. If the regular members of the RMB are not interested in the government, it does not matter, it is above all necessary to integrate as many people as possible who could be interested but who are not sufficiently approached. We are not going to leave the government in the current situation, led by 60 people and which is losing activity.