We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate

The objective of this proposal is to give the delegate the HoG in addition to the HoS and to reform the executive taking into account the proposal of the Cabinet by appointment.
Here is what it looks like in the Charter (having deleted the passages not concerned to shorten it):
Quote:VI. THE EXECUTIVE

Establishing an executive branch consisting of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.

(1) The Prime Minister will be the head of government and the leader of the Cabinet.lead the policies and the actions of the Cabinet, wich they will have to appoint. They will share the head of government with the delegate. They will be responsible for the overall coordination of executive activities, being a liaison between the government and the community, and protecting the Coalition.

(2) The Cabinet will consist of ministers with the following portfolios: World Assembly Legislation, Foreign Affairs, Culture, Engagement, and Defense.

(4) The Office of World Assembly Legislation will be a permanent executive office, which will be led by a Director, responsible for coordinating the Coalition's activities in the World Assembly, providing assistance in drafting resolutions, and issuing voting recommendations on World Assembly proposals. At the start of each Cabinet term, the Director will be appointed by the Prime Minister for a term coinciding with the Cabinet's. In any vacancy, a new Director will be appointed by the Prime Minister to serve the remainder of the term.

(6)(5) Executive electionsappointments will be held every four months, where the Prime Minister and all Cabinet positions will be up for election.will be appointed by the delegate. They will appoint ministers and the Cabinet will be confirmed by regional poll.

Minister of World Assembly Legislation

(7)The Minister of World Assembly Legislation will be responsible for coordinating the Coalition's activities in the World Assembly, providing assistance in drafting resolutions, and issuing voting recommendations on World Assembly proposals.

VII. THE DELEGATE

Establishing a Head of State.

(1) The Delegate will be the head of state of the Coalition and they will share the head of government with the Prime Minister. They will be responsible for helping maintain the security of the region, promoting growth and activity, and serving as an advisor to the forum-side government.they will have to appoint the Prime Minister. Barring reasonable circumstances, the Delegate will hold the in-game Delegate seat. No person may be Delegate if they have participated, in whole or in part and at any time, in any coup d'etat of the Coalition or any of its allies, excluding normal raiding, defending, or liberation efforts as part of an organized military.

(Edit : I changed some parts)
(Edit : I've included the HoG split between the delegate and the PM.)

[Image: Sl6mZCD_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][Image: iEwICrf_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][Image: MbXQuqv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]

Why? The current separation of powers between the PM and the Delegate works just fine in my opinion (HS lays out a pretty convincing case here in favor of it) and I think it's one of the aspects of our region that doesn't need any sort of reforms to it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moon's post:
  • HumanSanity

I don’t think you’ve considered this properly. If the Delegate is the head of government then what is the point of the Prime Minister?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • HumanSanity

If OWL joins the Cabinet, and I’m not necessarily opposed outright, should it be renamed from an Office to something else?

(07-20-2022, 08:44 AM)Moon Wrote: Why? The current separation of powers between the PM and the Delegate works just fine in my opinion (HS lays out a pretty convincing case here in favor of it) and I think it's one of the aspects of our region that doesn't need any sort of reforms to it.

The delegate is the main personality of the region and the one who has the best chance of being known, he must be given more power. And by strengthening the PM with the system you propose, you get a stronger executive. Currently the assembly has a lot of power over the executive but is made up of a minority of people, this must be changed.

(07-20-2022, 09:25 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I don’t think you’ve considered this properly. If the Delegate is the head of government then what is the point of the Prime Minister?

The PM directs the Cabinet and carries out the actions of this one which the delegate could not do but it remains the HoG because he appoints the PM. The goal is to have a strong 2-headed executive.

(07-20-2022, 09:55 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: If OWL joins the Cabinet, and I’m not necessarily opposed outright, should it be renamed from an Office to something else?

Yes, it could just be "Ministry of WA Legislation" or something else.

[Image: Sl6mZCD_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][Image: iEwICrf_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][Image: MbXQuqv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]

(07-20-2022, 11:46 AM)Jagged Fel Wrote: Currently the assembly has a lot of power over the executive but is made up of a minority of people, this must be changed.

Just have people who are interested in the political aspects of our region apply for Legislator status then? There's nothing stopping anyone from doing so. The current criterias to maintain one's Legislatorship is also easy to follow through, unless you're actively not giving a fuck about what goes on in the Assembly.

(07-20-2022, 11:53 AM)Moon Wrote: Just have people who are interested in the political aspects of our region apply for Legislator status then?

It turns out that the main problem that the region is currently experiencing is a significant lack of activity and commitment and that we must always be aware of this in order to change the institutions. There is nothing that prevents people from becoming legislators but for the moment there are few people who become one, it is necessary to reinterest the gameside to the participation in the governmental process of the region; here by giving more power to the one in government that they know the most (and expanding elections by regional poll).

(07-20-2022, 11:46 AM)Jagged Fel Wrote: The PM directs the Cabinet and carries out the actions of this one which the delegate could not do but it remains the HoG because he appoints the PM.

Your description of the Prime Minister is exactly what a head of government does. If all the Delegate does is appoint officials then they are not leading the government any more than the President of Germany does.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Well let's say the delegate leads the Cabinet and the PM leads the policies of that Cabinet, it doesn't change much. Here the delegate appoints the PM but the Assembly does not influence this appointment and the PM appoints his ministers without the assembly influencing either, they both have significant power.
My proposal can be modified, nothing is final.

(07-20-2022, 12:08 PM)Jagged Fel Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 11:53 AM)Moon Wrote: Just have people who are interested in the political aspects of our region apply for Legislator status then?

It turns out that the main problem that the region is currently experiencing is a significant lack of activity and commitment and that we must always be aware of this in order to change the institutions. There is nothing that prevents people from becoming legislators but for the moment there are few people who become one, it is necessary to reinterest the gameside to the participation in the governmental process of the region; here by giving more power to the one in government that they know the most (and expanding elections by regional poll).
Not really.

The RMB (while I've not been much of a regular there, I did interact with it on a semi-daily basis while I was still holding my fancy offices), from what I've seen, mostly doesn't care about the political shenanigans we get up to here. Most RMBers are there to have a good time with their virtual friends with whom the only place they want to interact with is our RMB itself. And I think that's a perfectly valid way to utilize one of the multiple community spaces we have, for a group of friends to hang out with and just chill after a stressful day.

We also have to understand that the vast majority of our RMBers are not adults, but rather teenagers, who likely stumbled upon this game while searching for a way to simulate the a nation. Which, to be absolutely fair, is something that NS is completely unequipped to provide for. Being disappointed at not finding what they seek, they instead find the true thing NS was built for; a platform for people to interact with each other in almost whatever setting they like. They're also, due to the various shitty things going on in the real world, not really interested in the political aspect of the game and instead use it as a social media platform to interact with similar minded people and once again, use it as a way to let some stress out and relax. I don't say that this mindset applies to everyone or that this won't eventually change for some peeps, but that's the matter of the fact, as it stands. I've personally tried to get people involved in our political process a couple of times over the last year or so by making a fair bit of things accessible to the pure RMBers, and the results were mostly disappointing.

So...you say that you intend to solve the problem of significant activity and commitment, by expanding all of our elections to get the RMB players involved. Pray tell me how you're going to do that when these players have proven to be in the past disinterested in our political workings, and why won't we be in the essentially same spot as we are right now, except with a larger yet similarly inactive group of players and a fair bit of security risk added into the equation? I certainly don't believe that this is going to change even after we overhaul everything in this GC, and frankly, neither should everyone else.

It's simply better to encourage interested players to migrate to the forum instead, where we can shape them into being actual, meaningful contributors, not simply lurkers who just enjoy the social scene we have (no offense meant to you guys, y'all are amazing <3).