The South Pacific
Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+------ Forum: Private Halls of the Assembly (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-95.html)
+------ Thread: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia (/thread-5517.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Tsunamy - 09-21-2017

Hold up. I don't think Far abused his power and, considering I reached out to Aram and he's not upset by this, I think we can put this to bed. I asked about this publicly because I, like Far, was under the impression there was no appeal mechanism. However, since Aram doesn't care, it seems moot to go down this road.

That said, I think we need to have two related discussions: (1) how do we keep the RMB-active nations in the loop of what's going on and (2) what do we require of our legislator applicants?

Aram was really forthcoming, but others might not be. I don't think Far was wrong to reject someone who doesn't really plan to participate. But, do we want that to be precedence? And, if so, how we do enforce it?

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Escade - 09-22-2017

Thirding here that Farengeto did not abuse any power and I really suggest that people keep the extreme "0 to 100" rhetoric to a minimum. Farengeto is a highly respected member of this region who has contributed for a long period of time.

His decision seemed more based on the negativity expressed by Aram which now is a moot point. 

The larger discussion here should turn to how could we make it so that people who don't want to be involved in the assembly still feel informed.  Maybe some sort of Quick News version of the Assembly discussions?

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Drall - 09-22-2017

(09-22-2017, 01:14 AM)Escade Wrote: The larger discussion here should turn to how could we make it so that people who don't want to be involved in the assembly still feel informed.  Maybe some sort of Quick News version of the Assembly discussions?

QuickNews does include very minor updates on the goings on of the Assembly - usually just a line or two saying the a certain amendment is now under discussion or up for vote, and a link. We also do have occasional updates on certain things, but those tend to be one-offs and rather rare.

I could definitely see the Local Council providing larger summaries from the Assembly debate, potentially in the same style as QuickNews, though preferably a bit more in length. Providing logs from public places in the Assembly to those who don't have access to the forums is another option, though a bit heavier.

Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Kris Kringle - 09-22-2017

It'd be kinda cool if CoA-LC-SJ partnered up to form (or try to form) an Assembly Press Corps.

Having an equivalent of the Congressional Record might also be cool.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Seraph - 09-22-2017

That sounds like an excellent idea.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Tim - 09-22-2017

One thing worth noting is that the main Assembly area is 100% publicly viewable, so there is nothing preventing non-Legislators from catching up with those affairs. I think it would definitely help to have some sort of regional outreach that gives news on Assembly matters, but there is no restriction from people going to view what's going on.

Regarding stuff that's in the Private Chambers, those affairs stay in the Private Chambers for a reason, and I don't think we should be giving more than a gist of what's happened post-conclusion of issues from there. I know nobody has really raised that topic yet, but I just wanted to throw my two cents pre-preemptively.

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Drall - 09-22-2017

(09-22-2017, 05:00 PM)Tim Wrote: One thing worth noting is that the main Assembly area is 100% publicly viewable, so there is nothing preventing non-Legislators from catching up with those affairs. I think it would definitely help to have some sort of regional outreach that gives news on Assembly matters, but there is no restriction from people going to view what's going on.

There's nothing to prevent them...but there are plenty of people who don't use the forums whatsoever, and would prefer an in-game dispatch or update. We can easily provide that, with a short summary, and link the full thread to make it easier for everyone to access it (worth noting that forums can be confusing for those who aren't familiar with them). 
Quote:Regarding stuff that's in the Private Chambers, those affairs stay in the Private Chambers for a reason, and I don't think we should be giving more than a gist of what's happened post-conclusion of issues from there. I know nobody has really raised that topic yet, but I just wanted to throw my two cents pre-preemptively. ​​​​

Totally agree here. It's definitely good to tell people "The Assembly is discussing X", and we can do that without actually leaking critical information.

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Tim - 09-22-2017

(09-22-2017, 05:20 PM)Drall Wrote: There's nothing to prevent them...but there are plenty of people who don't use the forums whatsoever, and would prefer an in-game dispatch or update. We can easily provide that, with a short summary, and link the full thread to make it easier for everyone to access it (worth noting that forums can be confusing for those who aren't familiar with them). 

I absolutely agree, the TSP forums were rather daunting to me as well when I first joined. I just wanted to note it, since it almost seemed like there was an assumption that this area wasn't viewable We should absolutely provide folks with updates on Assembly happenings Smile

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - Pronoun - 09-22-2017

While a dispatch would definitely be helpful, it can only hold so much information--like the QuickNews, which is highly informative, but brief and lacking complete details. Half of the equation is updates, but the other half is emphasizing that many Assembly discussions are completely open; in other words, to make the forums less daunting.

RE: Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia - southern bellz - 09-22-2017

I do not think he abused his power, but I do think that we need to reconsider under what grounds does the Chair of the Assembly should have power to reject membership.  To be it seems that "bad faith" is something that different people have different interpretations and due to the vague nature of the term, it can be used for almost anything.

My first back in the assembly was slammed by a former speaker as being made in bad faith.  So I can imagine a world where if I posted that thread before my application was processed it could be rejected.  These are very important powers, and I would feel more comfortable if we aired on the side of being specific before we take away peoples rights.